RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Difference between Lexus and Toyota Oil and Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

$225 is for the schedule maintenance, check this, check that, fill your tires or top off your fluids. You dont have to do the schedule maintenance, just change all your fluids, belts and filters according to schedule.
Old 08-30-07, 06:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
wow! i can't believe they can look straight in your face charging that much. The oil by itself costs $5 or so and filter another $5. Add labor to rotate tires $15... So they're charging you 10x the actual cost, or $225 for the service that runs $25 at most! My advice is to find another place to do the service.
I believe they should be charged with a count of Grand Larceny and a count of Scheme to Defraud.

Ridiculous!
Old 08-30-07, 07:50 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not there are a certain individuals who think they are getting a lousy job if the price is too low. Sadly, they tend to fall into the group that buy expensive toys such as a Lexus. They think that if it costs more it must by default be better. The stealerships keep a sharp eye out for these people.
Old 08-30-07, 07:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom H
Believe it or not there are a certain individuals who think they are getting a lousy job if the price is too low. Sadly, they tend to fall into the group that buy expensive toys such as a Lexus. They think that if it costs more it must by default be better. The stealerships keep a sharp eye out for these people.
This goes with all dealerships, not just Lexus. In Mexico, I have seen these tactics and they don't do as well a job as their American counterparts in being subliminal about suckering consumers. I am often asked by neighbors and friends to join them when they go in for service and then again when they come out to avoid the suckering incidents. My uncle Antonio also goes to dealerships (a way to get customers for his shop) with people in the same way and points out errors. Keep in mind that most the mechanics down here are quite young, but usually they are backed up by a head of service who give a take it or leave it approach.
Old 08-30-07, 08:35 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Acura dealers here are no better than GM dealer. They treat you like you know nothing about cars and refuse to fix most problems. The BMW, and Audi dealers are a bit better but still not up to Lexus standards.
I have to disagree with you atleast on one dealer in Mass. Clair Acura in Walpole. I bought a 2004 TL from them and had really bad flatspotting and hydroplaning with the Bridgestone EL42's. I brought it in to them they verified the flatspotting and were going to order me a new set but I refused the EL42's because of hydroplaning and they basically told me to choose ANY tire with comparable price to the EL42's and they'd order it. I chose the Michelin Pilot's A/S and if though they were pricier than EL's by $20, they had no hesitation in their voice!!! Of all the different car brands I have owned that dealership has been the best out of any other dealership I have been to and that includes lexus dealership. Absolutely hate Lexus of Norwood.
Old 08-30-07, 10:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought 3 cars from Clairs and had nothing but good experience. I still take my Toyota there for repairs. Clair Acura is pretty good too, but Acura of Boston is terrible. I take my Lexus to Lexus of Watertown, they are much better than Lexus of Norwood but a bit more expensive.
Old 08-30-07, 02:17 PM
NanjingBoy
Driver School Candidate

I Just bought my IS250 last month and I already put close to 4k miles on it. I drove down to Myrtle Beach from Maryland with it and also I drive about 80 to 100 miles a day for work. My lex sales guy said that the first oil change is free and then they charge $39.99. I did all my oil changes myself on my old car, I think I'll do the same for the IS.
Old 08-30-07, 05:23 PM
procrast
Driver School Candidate

here is an update. I called local Toyota dealer. They will do the 5000 mileage service for $90 (lexus was $225), and they can do the 30k service for $200 less than Lexus.

I called back the Lexus dealer and wanted to know what value I received for the 25k service besides oil (non-synthetic) and tire rotation. He stated that you get a free loaner and the suspension bolts are tightened, but that once the car is out of warranty Lexus will not work with you--I guess acts of good will--if you service elsewhere. He also said that if we planned to sell this car privately that the prospective buyer will prefer dealer service over an independent. That maybe true.

Here both the lexus and toyota dealer are owned by the same corporation. The only difference between the two are labor rates. Looks like my wife's rx330 is heading to service bays of toyota.
Old 08-31-07, 09:07 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I bought 3 cars from Clairs and had nothing but good experience. I still take my Toyota there for repairs. Clair Acura is pretty good too, but Acura of Boston is terrible. I take my Lexus to Lexus of Watertown, they are much better than Lexus of Norwood but a bit more expensive.
Yup, bought my Lexus from Lexus of watertown but too far for me to go there for service plus I let Boch Toyota South do my service since I literally live 2 minutes away from there. I called Lexus of Norwood once to ask them how much they would charge me for an oil change if I brought my own synthetic oil and filter and the guy on the phone said and I'll never forget this "Do you bring your own chicken when you go to a restaurant" Since this I'll not even go there for warranty work. I go out of my way and take any warranty issue to Inskip Lexus in Warwick, RI. I need to move closer to boston, I miss it.
Old 03-28-15, 12:19 AM
Den350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarNutTO
You guys are lucky - the Toyota dealerships in Toronto won't do an oil change on a Lexus.
Thar might have changed by now...just got my oil changed on my 350 at Don valley North Toyota....right beside lexus..lol.
Old 03-28-15, 11:29 AM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 qts 5W30 Mobil 1 EP $26.00 at Walmart. $24.00 to install oil and new filter at Toyota dealer, which includes multi-point inspection. Total $50 for top quality synthetic oil change. Easy peasy.
Old 03-28-15, 12:53 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Den350
Thar might have changed by now...just got my oil changed on my 350 at Don valley North Toyota....right beside lexus..lol.
Both dealerships have the same ownership...how much did you save bu going to Don Valley N Toyota?
Old 03-29-15, 02:35 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

When I first got my used RX I took it to the Lexus dealer 1 time for service. After that costly experience, I've used an independent repair shop for the expensive repairs, and my Toyota dealer for regular maintenance.
Old 03-30-15, 04:50 AM
Alexus416
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarNutTO
You guys are lucky - the Toyota dealerships in Toronto won't do an oil change on a Lexus.
Brimell Toyota & Pickering Toyota are two places I have taken my 2011 Lexus ES350 for oil change and full service.

Just Oil change cost me about ~$70.00 taxes in and for a full service it came up to ~$171.00 taxes in.
Old 03-30-15, 08:13 AM
Den350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Both dealerships have the same ownership...how much did you save bu going to Don Valley N Toyota?
$70 as opposed to 100 from lexus....pretty much same service..half a tank of gas out here..lol..adds up I guess.

Quick Reply: Difference between Lexus and Toyota Oil and Filter Change