RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Difference between Lexus and Toyota Oil and Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 08:16 AM
hyiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Bklyn, NYC, the Lexus dealer uses normal motor oil, not syntheic. I'm sure because I just bought the parts from there...

However, I don't know if they stock syntheic, or if they will charge more if you ask for it. They charged like $300 for the 15K service which I think is crazy.

I got all the needed parts for $100 at the parts dept. I watched my toyota mechanic does EVERYTHING in detail... and it took him about an hr...
(so, it means lexus is charging $200/hr labor.)
Old 08-28-07, 10:08 AM
LBCDan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Toyota and the Lexus filter are both made by DENSO. Next time ask for the DENSO brand aftermarket filter. It is actually better than the OE filter because of even higher specifications.
Old 08-28-07, 11:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you specify synthetic oil, my Lexus dealer will charge an extra $30. I think alot of you are confusing a oil change with the schedule service. If you ask for just an oil change, here in MA, its $40.
Old 08-28-07, 12:04 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you specify synthetic oil, my Lexus dealer will charge an extra $30. I think alot of you are confusing a oil change with the schedule service. If you ask for just an oil change, here in MA, its $40.
Oh well, Toyota charges only $32... and if it's the same as Lexus + closer to my home + takes only less than one hour, then why not Toyota.. If Lexus uses something totally different from local Toyota, then I would go for Lexus for that extra price.
Old 08-28-07, 12:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

No diff. between Toyota and Lexus service department except for the free car wash and the coffee and pastry
Old 08-28-07, 01:54 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

No diff. between Toyota and Lexus service department except for the free car wash and the coffee and pastry
The local Toyota I went to washed the car free and they also have coffee
Old 08-29-07, 06:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

But is it gourmet coffee and do they have waiter?
Old 08-29-07, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Toyota down here has coffee, sometimes food. Acura does a really good job with customer service as does Mercedes. The Mercedes in my neighborhood has a little cafe where they serve sandwiches and breakfast. I was invited over there one day by one of the employees there who sometimes brings some Benzes up to our track.
Old 08-29-07, 08:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I guess Acura treats their customer better in Mexico than in the US.
Old 08-29-07, 10:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I guess Acura treats their customer better in Mexico than in the US.
From what I know of two dealers here in Mexico City (one where I live and one on the south side of the city), they seem to really go out of their way. Dealerships look even a bit better, usually complimentary food, wine...always an enjoyable experience when I stop by. However, Acura still has a way to go here. BMW and Audi (not Mercedes) are the main sellers here, and you those are the two most common luxury vehicles here. Though Honda and Toyota call vehicles like Accord and Camry luxury, and given the higher than U.S. prices, they probably should be.

The other day the Toyota Highlander came to Mexico, and it ranges in price from a little under $34,000 USD to a little under $47,000 USD, http://www.toyota.com.mx/modelos_spe...ighlander.aspx

I am hoping one of these runs up at the track or at least I can get my hands on one like I did with a 4Runner to test out.
Old 08-29-07, 12:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The Acura dealers here are no better than GM dealer. They treat you like you know nothing about cars and refuse to fix most problems. The BMW, and Audi dealers are a bit better but still not up to Lexus standards.
Old 08-29-07, 01:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The Acura dealers here are no better than GM dealer. They treat you like you know nothing about cars and refuse to fix most problems. The BMW, and Audi dealers are a bit better but still not up to Lexus standards.
Service is a different story...I have heard my fair share of problems from Acura colleagues.
Old 08-29-07, 09:15 PM
procrast
Driver School Candidate

Default service every 5000 miles

Lexus dealer in san diego recommends a $225 service every 5000 miles. The only substantive work is oil change and tire rotation. For the 30k service the bill will be over $600; at least that service is more substantial. This is my first lexus and honestly the service costs and expense is staggering in comparison to local '
Acura dealer; basically half the price.

I guess i will start taking this car to a Toyota dealer. Am i getting gouged?
Old 08-29-07, 09:58 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by procrast
Lexus dealer in san diego recommends a $225 service every 5000 miles. The only substantive work is oil change and tire rotation. For the 30k service the bill will be over $600; at least that service is more substantial. This is my first lexus and honestly the service costs and expense is staggering in comparison to local '
Acura dealer; basically half the price.

I guess i will start taking this car to a Toyota dealer. Am i getting gouged?
wow! i can't believe they can look straight in your face charging that much. The oil by itself costs $5 or so and filter another $5. Add labor to rotate tires $15... So they're charging you 10x the actual cost, or $225 for the service that runs $25 at most! My advice is to find another place to do the service.
Old 08-30-07, 03:58 AM
RHODY401
Rookie

$225?! and I thought I was getting taken advantage of at $140 (tire rotation and oil change)

Even though its probably small in the grand scheme of things, it gives Lexus a real black eye. I'll be thinking very hard before considering this brand again in the future.

I have always taken mine to Lexus, but I also have a new Toyota in the family and asked the dealership once. They said it would be $28 for my RX, including coffee Even though the RX has a Camry/Highlander engine,they wont do warrantee issues though. I guess the computers arent tied in from Lexus to the main company, and many of the trim parts are different.

Quick Reply: Difference between Lexus and Toyota Oil and Filter Change