RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just bought a 2008 RX 350, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 12:35 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get your extended warranty later.. at least a month or two so you can know if you going to keep it for a long time or not. Also you can buy it from any Lexus dealers in US. So far I think Lexus of Huntsville has the lowest price.

For lojack, check with your insurance company and see how much discount they can offer. In my case, they told me that I'm in the Ultra-Preferred, Super Saver category, which is the very lowest rate available in Texas (progressive) so no discount for lojack.
Old 08-20-07, 04:28 PM
solar5000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of your input. I am now considering the clear "bra" and will probably just wait for the extended warranty until my basic warranty is about to expire.
Old 08-21-07, 10:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would not get any of those options from the dealer. Since you live in NY, I would consider the clear bra, but I would do it afterward, find a specialize shop and cut out the middle man. The extented warranty can be bought right up until the factory expires. Drive the car for 3 or 4 years and determine if you need it then. You can buy the extended warranty online for half of the price of what the dealer will charge you.
Old 08-21-07, 10:45 AM
jmaynard
Driver

You can buy the extended warranty, but can you buy it from Lexus online?

I once had an extended warranty that wasn't from the manufacturer. I wound up eating a $3000 repair because they wouldn't cover it (the warranty didn't cover the turbocharger, despite the fact that it came that way from the factory), and neither the dealer nor the manufacturer had any leverage. Ever since then, I refuse to buy an extended warranty from anyone but the manufacturer.
Old 08-21-07, 10:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It’s the same warranty as the one that dealer try to sell you, it’s a Lexus platinum warranty. Except it is about a $1000 cheaper.
Old 08-21-07, 11:50 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would not get any of those options from the dealer. Since you live in NY, I would consider the clear bra, but I would do it afterward, find a specialize shop and cut out the middle man. The extented warranty can be bought right up until the factory expires. Drive the car for 3 or 4 years and determine if you need it then. You can buy the extended warranty online for half of the price of what the dealer will charge you.
^ Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit here. Can I purchase LExus platinum extended warranty on a lexus vehicle that I bought used (i.e I am not the original owner) as long as the 4yrs/50K factory warranty has NOT expired?

Or this can be done regardless if the used lexus is a CPO or not, correct?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-07, 11:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, you can, I have a friend who purchase extended warranty for every used car he buys. If your used Lexus is a CPO, then there is no need for extended warranty obviously.
Old 08-21-07, 01:51 PM
ricdiablo
Driver School Candidate

Default Lubes know how to stick it

Originally Posted by AM1
theres a lot of places around where i live. i dont use any expensive oil and i dont go to the dealer.
AM1, man, I'm telling you. Jiffy Lube and EZ Lube in So Cal are NOTORIOUS. I used to take my BMW to both until on 2 occasions my mechanic showed me my oil filter after an "oil change". NEITHER company changed the oil filter, even after both had charged me extra for the oem filter.

My friend had the exact same experience at a different Jiffy Lube. He has a mid-engine car from the 80's and the oil filter is located in an odd part of the car in some compartment. Sure enough, he watched them drain the oil and put new oil in without ever going to that section of the car or opening the compartment.

I recommend either Lexus Dealer or a trustworthy mechanic (there are a lot of them around).
Old 08-21-07, 04:47 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfirechief
I would keep all except #2 & 6.
And I would forget #3. Wax experts will tell you that there is no such thing as a permanent wax. Buy yourself a good container of wax (I like Meguiar's) and wax your car yourself four times a year. Most of that stuff is fluff, imo.

Gary
Old 08-24-07, 07:42 PM
siamesecat
Driver School Candidate

I just added Lojack from Lojack and it cost $695 plus tax, with a two-year Lojack warranty. I would only get Lojack if your vehcile is in a driveway not a locked garage in the evening, like mine is. I have a classic car (and my wife's car in our two car garage), lexus stays out in cold.
Old 08-24-07, 11:53 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ricdiablo
AM1, man, I'm telling you. Jiffy Lube and EZ Lube in So Cal are NOTORIOUS. I used to take my BMW to both until on 2 occasions my mechanic showed me my oil filter after an "oil change". NEITHER company changed the oil filter, even after both had charged me extra for the oem filter.

My friend had the exact same experience at a different Jiffy Lube. He has a mid-engine car from the 80's and the oil filter is located in an odd part of the car in some compartment. Sure enough, he watched them drain the oil and put new oil in without ever going to that section of the car or opening the compartment.

I recommend either Lexus Dealer or a trustworthy mechanic (there are a lot of them around).
i dont go to those places. ive seen the news stories. i usually take it to places where i know they do good work. and i usually talk to the tech while they are doing the oil change
Old 08-25-07, 01:02 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure its done right--Do it yourself if at all possible. I love to do my own maint, as much as i can do that is
Old 08-25-07, 03:50 PM
solar5000
Driver School Candidate

thanks again for all the input. I just picked up the car today, and we put over a 100 miles on it. we decided not to get any of the options. i'll consider the warranty at the end of the 4 years.

i've been trying to vary my speed constantly to help break it in, and not going above 55 mph and keep the rpms lower than 4000. i hope my first 1000 miles go quickly because it's tough to keep to these limits!

i also didn't get a reliable answer from the dealer about fuel: regular or premium. I've searched many different message boards (including this one) and can't seem to find a good answer. I think I'm going to stick to regular, unless you guys convince me otherwise.

hope y'all are enjoying your RX350's because I LOVE mine! thanks.

solar
Old 08-25-07, 08:33 PM
jmaynard
Driver

Read the owner's manual. The RX350 manual says to run 91 octane unless you can't get it. I've ben doing so exclusively since about the second tank.
Old 08-26-07, 02:01 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

not this again.....

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2008 RX 350, but...