RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Phone Voice tags in Navi

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 08:05 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Phone Voice tags in Navi

How i n the world do you set up the voice tags in the Nav? I have a 08 350 if that matters. I can dial by number but not by name--says I have no voice tags listed.....huh? I do the name in the phone book as well....
Old 08-05-07, 02:09 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody uses Call by name in their nav unit???? help me out
Old 08-05-07, 05:37 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my list of things to play with, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Any idea if you say, 'Dial by name', and then, 'help?'

I'm still toying around with 'pause' and 'wait' - next time I have a few minutes to kill in the car I'll work on this too.
Old 08-11-07, 03:09 PM
JackConner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone - new to forum and Lexus, but may be able to help here. I also had trouble trying to set up Voice Recognition Tags. Could not find the record option page illustrated in the Nav manual, then discovered that while in the Edit Contact Data segment, in addition to inputing new or editing Name and Number(s), you can also press the Down Arrow (left bottom of page) and it opens up an additional option page which contains the hidden Voice Recognition Option. Manual says nothing about the location of this extra page. Just select the "Voice Rec" button and follow its lead to create your Voice Tag. Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-11-07, 09:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, I finnaly found out how to do it just by playing around in the menus---i like it
Old 08-19-07, 11:03 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackConner
Hi everyone - new to forum and Lexus, but may be able to help here. I also had trouble trying to set up Voice Recognition Tags. Could not find the record option page illustrated in the Nav manual, then discovered that while in the Edit Contact Data segment, in addition to inputing new or editing Name and Number(s), you can also press the Down Arrow (left bottom of page) and it opens up an additional option page which contains the hidden Voice Recognition Option. Manual says nothing about the location of this extra page. Just select the "Voice Rec" button and follow its lead to create your Voice Tag. Hope this helps someone.

This is very helpful, thanks! Apparently on an '08 RX350, it's the double-up arrow to get to the voice recognition screen.
Old 08-19-07, 11:33 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the best thing to do with the nav and all of its features is to park yourself in the car for a few hours and push buttons and go thru everything--the manual tells only a 1/4 of it
Old 08-20-07, 07:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So then the RX has its own recognition system for your phone rather than simply linking to your phone and passing through the connection? Cool!

Another reason to upgrade to a new RX - I can get away from the distinctly oriental speech pattern, confusion of "R" and "L", my LG phone saddles me with. Yes, if I want a first-try connection I have to do the late Buddy Hackett's "Chinese Waiter Routine". If I want to lookup a function, I have to say "rrrookup". Works every time. "Mike" is "Mike", but more unusual names throw it. "Miron" is "Meeronne". Don't even think about "Shaniqua" or "Lellany". You just gotta learn the language. Is "LG" a language?
Old 10-21-07, 05:00 PM
rtakahashi
Driver School Candidate

Default Voicetags

This was helpful, Thanks
Old 10-22-07, 11:14 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if this is related to the topic, but help is appreciated.

In our 2005 RX330, I cant seem to figure out how to make calls using voice recognition. In my Acura TL, I can just say the numbers I need dialed, and the number gets dialed.

If I understand RX' features correctly, you have to have the phone book imported from your cellphone, and then click on the icon on the NAVI screen that represents the number.... I have been unsuccessful in importing the phonebook (Verizon Wireless phone LG LX8700), and the only way that is working is by dialing the previoulsy dialed number...so dumb and inconvenient
Old 10-22-07, 07:46 PM
JoeRX
Driver School Candidate

Default You can dial by name or number

Press the 'off hook' button.

Say 'Dial by Number'.

Wait for system prompt. Say '2125551212'.

Wait for system prompt. This is important: Wait for screen to change. It takes a second or two. Say 'Dial'.

Same process for names, except you say 'Dial by name', and the name instead of a number. You must have previously associated the name with a number.

I have found that if the names are too short, the function doesn't work well. E.g., better to attach the word 'Kimberly' to a number than 'Kim'.

I think this is a cool feature but it's really slow to dial. I have gone the route of creating speed dials for the numbers I call regularly and just punch them on the screen.
Old 10-23-07, 05:41 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRX
Press the 'off hook' button.

Say 'Dial by Number'.

Wait for system prompt. Say '2125551212'.

Wait for system prompt. This is important: Wait for screen to change. It takes a second or two. Say 'Dial'.

Same process for names, except you say 'Dial by name', and the name instead of a number. You must have previously associated the name with a number.

I have found that if the names are too short, the function doesn't work well. E.g., better to attach the word 'Kimberly' to a number than 'Kim'.

I think this is a cool feature but it's really slow to dial. I have gone the route of creating speed dials for the numbers I call regularly and just punch them on the screen.

thanks for the info. Can you dial by saying a number while driving, and how do you associate the name with the number?
Old 10-29-07, 09:29 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

In my just-received car (9:00 p.m. last night), we were able to dial by voice while driving, but didn't know which button to push to actually dial. In other words, we pressed the "talk" button on the steering wheel, said the number after the beep, the voice repeated the number correctly (and it showed on the screen), but then we didn't know what button to press to create the actual connection.
Old 10-30-07, 09:33 PM
sf7307
Pole Position

I've been playing with my new car (GS350) which has the 6.1 NAV system. I do not understand Dial by Name. If you're in any screen, you can press the talk button and dial by number. Based on the the manual, it seems like you can only Dial by Name if you're in the phone book screen? Even then, though, the second time I press the "talk" key, it repeats "Say Name" instead of saying "Say Dial". I wonder if this is a defect in the software.

Also, do you have to have voice tags recorded in order to Dial By Name? Can multiple people use this or can you only record one voice per name?
Old 09-04-14, 02:22 PM
GaRobert
Driver School Candidate

Smile Phone Tag

Yes it does WORK.. spent about 1 full week trying to set up phone tag, Then read your post. and in about 5 min, had the tag working.. I never saw anything in the book about that page down..

Thanks a ton

Bob