RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 - CD Changer Error Message 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 11:44 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nept_Mica
Exactly my point. Everyone has encountered this issue at some point but yet Lexus refuses to acknowledge its a known issue.
When it comes to a TSIB, there has to be a known fix. The problem I see is Toyota/Lexus does not make the audio system whether it be Mark Levinson or the standard audio system. They can't issue a TSIB fix if the manufacturer of those equipment doesn't have a fix or doesn't recognize there is a problem. The most they could do is change manufactures, but that would come perhaps in the next generation.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-07-08 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 04:52 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the error 3 problem on my 07 RX350. It happened a couple of times and seemed to clear itself after a day or so, then it happened a third time and it would not reset. The dealer had to replace the unit under warranty. Had to send my old one back to japan to get my CDs back.

Dave S.
Old 01-04-10, 12:35 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

great, finally happened to me today. I am out of warranty. Error 3 in CD6.
Old 05-01-10, 05:53 AM
tlegend
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
great, finally happened to me today. I am out of warranty. Error 3 in CD6.
same thing happened to me today
Old 05-01-10, 07:30 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
When it comes to a TSIB, there has to be a known fix. The problem I see is Toyota/Lexus does not make the audio system whether it be Mark Levinson or the standard audio system. They can't issue a TSIB fix if the manufacturer of those equipment doesn't have a fix or doesn't recognize there is a problem. The most they could do is change manufactures, but that would come perhaps in the next generation.
I ended up pulling the radio out myself and sent it out for repair. Been working without any issues since the repair.
Old 05-04-10, 06:25 PM
tlegend
Rookie

I ended up pulling the radio out myself and sent it out for repair. Been working without any issues since the repair.
how much did it cost?
Old 05-04-10, 07:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I took the above advice and just waited the a few days, and all of a sudden it worked. So i instantly took out the CD and I have not put a CD back into slot 6 since.
Old 05-04-10, 08:31 PM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Originally Posted by tlegend
how much did it cost?

The repair consisted of over-hauling the entire unit. Total cost was $255 with a one year warranty on parts and labor.
Old 05-04-10, 08:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The repair consisted of over-hauling the entire unit. Total cost was $255 with a one year warranty on parts and labor.
Could you post the information on where you sent it in for repair? Am sure others in the same situation may be interested in that info. Luckily, mine works fine.
Old 05-04-10, 11:22 PM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Could you post the information on where you sent it in for repair? Am sure others in the same situation may be interested in that info. Luckily, mine works fine.
The repair facility is called
5705 Enterprise Parkway
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Turn around time for repair is 3 days
Old 05-06-10, 03:16 PM
tlegend
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
I took the above advice and just waited the a few days, and all of a sudden it worked. So i instantly took out the CD and I have not put a CD back into slot 6 since.
My 6th cd just popped out!
Old 05-07-10, 08:55 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

It will happen to all of them have to send my Mark Levinson out it was $450 for the repair. Look at the CD’s you are using if you can see though they then do not use them unless yours is set to use CDR and others. The one in my 05 was not also the Cd’s your burn are thicker than a store bought one and that will make the unit stick and give you the error 3 error 4 is a read error . You get this a lot if you put in the ones that you can hold up to the light and see though it. The leaser is looking for the light to reflect back but one the semi clear ones. The light will not reflect back the way the unit is look for it. The leaser powers up more and more until it hits it max power setting and then come the error 3 and 4s.They worst part of it if you send your unit out on an 05 with Navigation and I sure the others will be like this is nothing will work in the car. No AC controls, Navigation is out, and the Backup camera is out. AC will keep running on the last setting it was one before the unit removal. My dealer here wanted over $700 to replace the unit but another one 150 miles away only wanted $500 to do the same thing. If I had only called around before I had, my unit put in the mail twice.
Old 12-08-10, 11:11 AM
lvn098
Rookie

I have 07 RX350, the car only has 23,000 miles, however, it's 51 months old, therefore, Lexus Dealers quoted me $600 plus 2 hrs labor to have it swapped out with another unit. I only listen to CD on a long trip where I can't get FM stations and I don't think I've used CD Player for more than 5 times in the last 4 years. I am sure it has been broken for a while, but since I don't use it often, I don't know about the issue until now.

I am contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction to tell that Lexus should either recall or put out a TSB for this issue, it's so common, there are thousands of Lexus / Toyota owners have seen this problem. Will see what they have to say.
Old 12-08-10, 01:15 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife's 2004 had the disc error issue twice. The first time was right after we bought it, and the used car dealer fixed it for free. The second time, we waited a few days and was able to get our CD's back out of the unit;-)

I ended up installing a Vais iPod adapter, so we don't use the CD player anymore...
Old 08-09-11, 03:12 PM
eagle
Driver School Candidate

Found this:

http://www.larsdennert.com/lexusis/radiodiag.pdf

r,
eagle

Quick Reply: RX350 - CD Changer Error Message 3