RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just Tinted my Front Windows 15%

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 08:24 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Just Tinted my Front Windows 15%

I just had my front windows tinted along with a front strip.
The strip was only up to the AS1 line due to the complexity of the rear view mirror.

I went with Llumar $15% which matches ok on the outside but you can notice it is darker when inside looking out. Not sure if it was due to the brand or not.

The 20% precut tint on ebay was too light and did not match.

Old 05-30-14, 05:16 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks good. Remember it will never match perfectly as the rear window's factory tint are incorporated into the glass during the manufacturing process
Old 05-30-14, 06:10 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I so want to do this, my wife's pretty light blue eyes are very sensitive to light. But I see you are located where I am in California. This is illegal, but I see it done a lot. What are your thoughts on being stopped for the tint.?
Old 05-30-14, 06:40 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

It's illegal because it decreases your ability to see things through the front windows, both during the day and night. This gets especially dangerous while driving at night.
Old 05-30-14, 06:40 AM
Henry2024
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. That would also be illegal here in Nebraska. When I was a street cop years ago, my partner's thing was stopping people with illegal tint, especially since we were patrolling certain hot spots. He would bring along the tint meter all the time.
Old 05-30-14, 06:51 AM
tfischer

So if you should not tint your windows because it's illegal and you could be stopped and given a ticket and because it impairs your night vision and endangers everyone in the car as well as in other cars in your vicinity, what are the arguments for tinting them that trump those two? All I see mentioned in the owners' forums is that it "looks neat," or words to that effect. And don't give me that it's hot down here crap - these cars are air conditioned.
Old 05-30-14, 08:11 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From the California Highway Patrol FAQ website:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle? 
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
Old 05-30-14, 10:31 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Its not the heat, its the light sensitivity...to folks especially with blue eyes....Sunglasses help, but a little extra side protection would help.....
Old 05-30-14, 11:49 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Its not the heat, its the light sensitivity...to folks especially with blue eyes....Sunglasses help, but a little extra side protection would help.....
Agreed...And I don't want people looking into my car!
Old 05-30-14, 10:43 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks nice and I would love to do it with my car but if insurance sees you have something illegal on your windows, then bye bye to your cover should anything happen.
Old 06-02-14, 08:19 AM
JazzyLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!! I like the look...I need to do mine...here in NC we can go up to 35% but it does not affect your visibility...all of my cars are tinted.
Old 06-02-14, 09:11 AM
tfischer

Tinting the windows does not affect the "visibility" of the car, because people can see it just as well as before. If you mean that you can tint the windows 35% and still be able to see out of the car just as well as before, then you need to think about that statement again. As noted previously, I observe that the only argument for tinting front windows seems to be "I like the look," followed by a contradiction of optics and physics and a disregard for one's own safety. But I could be wrong about this whole tinting thing.
Old 06-02-14, 06:43 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

One of my co-worker went to his long time doctor, got a doctor note indicating he has skin problem. Was stopped by a cop due to his front tint, showed him the note, he was free to go. . This is in SF bay area.

08 RX350 AWD (wife)
08 Avalon Touring (mine)
Old 06-02-14, 07:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
One of my co-worker went to his long time doctor, got a doctor note indicating he has skin problem. Was stopped by a cop due to his front tint, showed him the note, he was free to go. . This is in SF bay area.

08 RX350 AWD (wife)
08 Avalon Touring (mine)
From what I understand from my friends who live in CA is there was a law which allowed for a medical exemption for window tinting, however, that part of the law was rescinded/reworded due to confusion. Any CHiP or local LEO accepting the medical excuse is behind the times.

I was pointed to this and told to ignore what I see referenced in CA 26708.5 which is now outdated:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

In short, front tint is allowable if it allows 88% light through. Since tint is allowable the doctor's note should no longer be necessary. However, it is up to YOU to provide proper documentation if pulled over. You need all the documentation from the shop which installed the film to prove what was installed to be correct. Failure to provide that documentation will more than likely get you the ticket. Also, seems that like many such matters its enforcement varies widely within the state. Where my friends live law enforcement look for this on a regular basis. They are looking for drivers on their cellphones and if they cannot see the driver clearly they pull you over for the tint.

Keep in mind, tint not need to be dark to block UVA and UVB.
Old 06-03-14, 05:05 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
One of my co-worker went to his long time doctor, got a doctor note indicating he has skin problem. Was stopped by a cop due to his front tint, showed him the note, he was free to go. . This is in SF bay area
The cop should have written the ticket. If the guy had an excuse let him tell it to the Traffic Court Judge.

Quick Reply: Just Tinted my Front Windows 15%