RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Perfomance Modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 04:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Perfomance Modification

I did go to Toyota yesterday and took a look at 3.3 L and a 3.5 L Sienna (since we don't have Lexus in Mexico, despite all the rumors of it coming as I have heard, including yesterday at the dealership I went to). I got some INITIAL ideas of what is possible, and as time goes by I will study these engines.

I do have some ideas on an advanced air intake design and I will be talking about my custom idea and what has already been done in another post tomorrow night along with some other advanced ideas.

A couple of responses in regard to what I saw (I tend to be looking for negatives):

- These engines (I already knew this of the 3MZFE and what I had seen of the 2GRFE) appear to be well-wired for emissions control. I noted A/F sensors both before and after pre-cats.
- The engines are much more compact compared to the 1MZFE in terms of space for additional modifications (I can tell you it is hard enough on the 1MZFE of the RX300)
- The design of the catalytic converter is much improved over that of the one found on the RX300 and appears to provide superior flow in terms of its size/design.
- The air intake has reduced baffles and has a superior entrance over the radiator, but takes too much restriction going through the air box in order to get into the the throttle body. There is still a baffle/accordion structure, but it is much less than in the last generation RX300.
- Having the single throttle body as opposed to the double barrel of the RX300 is something I do not necessarily like, would rather have the ability to draw in more air, but this does open up the possibility of making a customized throttle body spacer or one that is already existing on the market for another application. but possibly a
- Too many hoses feeding off the vaccum of the intake.
- Accelerator is electronically controlled. Only modification that appears to be possible on this system specifically is modifying the spring in the pedal mechanism itself, unless you can slam your foot really quickly.

So what did I find you can do right away...let me start if off this way:

1. What can I do easily to this generation of RX330/350/400h to get some power, without ripping up my fine vehicle and that I can install myself with no professional help?

Several things (many of which I use on my RX300):

1. Tom's or a TRD Radiator Cap (for the TRD is should be an N-series). Your version of the RX uses a 1.1 kg/cm2, while these aftermarket ones have a 1.3 kg/cm2 flow. Very easy to install.
2. Sun Hypervoltage System. This will have a couple of advantages, especially with the stock battery. Better throttle response (especially since it is electronically controlled unlike the last generation of RXs), brighter lights, crisper bass, and better high end acceleration.
3. Grounding Wires Even though Sun makes their own, you can buy a fat gauge Monster-cable like wire and connect from the negative battery cable to ground points such as the engine block, body of the vehicle, top of the transmission. The major use for this (much better for older vehicles), is to smoothen out the flow of electricity through the vehicle, especially with regard to flow between the ECU and different areas of the vehicle)
4. Aftermarket Battery Optima is the major one and I use a 34/78 Red Top, which appeared to be very similar in size to the one I have seen in the Sienna and in the newer RXs I have had a chance to see in the U.S. They offer greater cold cranking amps. For performance, you want to be able to offer the vehicle as much as power as you can. If you run a radio, AC and other accessories on a stock battery, performance in terms of acceleration/power will be less than if you had a battery with more juice like that of an Optima, since it will have more in reserve for high power draw situations. There are some lightweight batteries on the market such as an Odyssey and a Braille. A good rule of thumb that I like to use is that for every pound lost, you gain .001 in the 1/4 mile. That won't seem like much, but I won bracket races by as little .006 that resulted in a difference of few hundred dollars in prize money.
5. Aftermarket Air Filter for stock air box- The best of these is still the K&N though Tom's and some JDM companies offer some. The model number is 33-2260. For panel filters, I still favor a K&N though I have a difference of opinion (due to design on cone filters).

What can I do that maybe I can do on my own, but might require some professional help/tools?

1. Aftermarket oil filter- The stock oil filter from Toyota is a good one in quality compared to other manufacturer’s stock oil filters. I give Toyota credit on this. However, the K&N HP-1002 for the RX330 is a good one given that it has a nut on the top that allows easy removal/installation and also has very good flow and filtration rates. I am pretty confident that an oil filter for the RX350 will come out from them. There is an oversized HP-2009 from K&N that replaces the HP-1002.

2. TorqueMaster Spark Plugs- These are 4 pronged plugs that many Lexus owners have been using. In personal experience, I used them stock, but did not notice much of anything. Densos or NGKs will do just fine for the amount you pay for them. If you plan to add a K&N filter, then you probably will gain extra benefit from TorqueMasters as they love performance modifications.

What it is the best, single modification for the buck that that I can get with professional help, but that won’t necessarily bust my wallet?

1. Free flow muffler- Without a doubt, you will experience some of your greatest hp gains/monetary unit by getting one of them. Best thing I suggest is to go an aftermarket performance store of your choice and take a look and see what you like in person, whether it be a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, JDM brand, etc. Mufflers are designed well enough these days to reduce the decibel levels to those below the legal limit while offering sufficient enough power, many of which can offer a double digit hp increase. Free flow means that the inner part of the muffler has been designed to provide the least restriction possible, often just a straight tube. For the RX300, there were some mufflers like those of Rod Millen that could be bolted on and did not require welding, most will require a small amount of welding and installation.

Tomorrow night: Air intakes and other advanced modifications.

Last edited by Lexmex; 09-18-09 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 05:16 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Excellent, Lexmex is on our RX330's!!!!!!! Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-08-07, 05:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Excellent, Lexmex is on our RX330's!!!!!!! Thanks a bunch!
One other thing, if you have any question, any question at all about any of the modifications, just as I mention to RX300 owners and on my car domain site, you can feel free to PM me and I will try my best to answer you on it and I keep everything in confidence.
Old 07-08-07, 06:56 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexmex, not to discourage you, but a lot of things that you're planning on doing are mostly marketing hype rather than the actual increase in performance.

In particular, different radiator cap or "sun hypervoltage system" is not going to give you even 0.005% increase in performance or better lighting. Same thing with grounding wires... just a waste of money instead of simple physics. Electricity is already "flowing", you can't make it "flow" better.

Optima battery is not going to increase the performance either, it is simply won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere if your battery dies.

My advice to you is to save the money and buy something that can actually benefit you. Take your g/f or wife to dinner, you'll be far more satisfied! =)

- Andrey

Last edited by andreys; 07-08-07 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 09:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by andreys
Lexmex, not to discourage you, but a lot of things that you're planning on doing are mostly marketing hype rather than the actual increase in performance.

In particular, different radiator cap or "sun hypervoltage system" is not going to give you even 0.005% increase in performance or better lighting. Same thing with grounding wires... just a waste of money instead of simple physics. Electricity is already "flowing", you can't make it "flow" better.

Optima battery is not going to increase the performance either, it is simply won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere if your battery dies.

My advice to you is to save the money and buy something that can actually benefit you. Take your g/f or wife to dinner, you'll be far more satisfied! =)

- Andrey
I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree and I'll explain myself.

Forgive me for going a little more in-depth.

There are some products I have reviewed in the past, that despite their claims, I won't touch, e-ram, chips on ebay, fuel magnets, tornado, etc., garbage or not designed well enough in my opinion.

Another thing is one of the drawbacks of the engines in our vehicles is they don't have sufficient aftermarket support. We just don't have enough pieces compared to other models of Lexus/Toyota or anything. This has been a frequent complaint of not only RX300 owners, but also ES300, Camry, Solara, Sienna and even Avalon owners, who had the previous generation 1MZFE. Some of those have the option with a single throttle body of a TRD Supercharger, but I'll leave my comments for later on that and they aren't good.

By themselves, none of the electrical/cooling or any other pieces I have mentioned will be the magic bullet for performance. However, COMBINED there is a difference and that is a major reason why I have gone from a 19.2 stock 1/4 mile time down to a 17.931 1/4 mile time. I don't know precisely what a TTE Supercharged RX300 will run in the 1/4, which would be my only other competition, but the one time I checked, it was still clockings 16s. I can guarantee you that would be a hell of race depending on who was in the other driver's seat. However, I will be quite happy that I didn't plop almost $13,000 USD on that supercharger, http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...CategoryID=102

With the electrical modifications, a big issue is that power spikes can and will occur in electronics and vehicles are not immune, thus the flow is not as optimal as it should be, it never is, but whatever we can do to improve will help performance I actually recommend on my car domain site that rather than buy a hypervoltage/grounding wires, best electrical mod is a better battery. What I stated does in fact occur when lots of electrical applications are used under power, less power can and will go to the engine. Turning on the AC will blow you at least 10 hp (I have had friends test this on a dyno here and headlights can be between 1 to 3 hp). This is the same reason that I use a lightweight crankshaft pulley and I turn off/decrease just about every electrical piece of machinery in my car prior to taking a run on a track.

One device I actually think will be a waste of money for this generation of RX, but that I use is the TRD Thermostat. I think for the RX300 given the design of narrow cooling passages in the 1MZFE (remember sludge), this little device has some use in conjunction with the radiator cap. However, this has been greatly corrected in the 3MZFE and of course the 2GRFE engines. In addition, it would be quite difficult to install (I know from PMs I have gotten of people asking for help). In addition, I can't see that this device will in performance help get more than 1 hp at most, but for an RX300, a great device to have given a drawback in our engine design.

As far as lighting, I have noticed my headlights aren't as dim as they used to be, and I still have OEM bulbs. I can't really attribute that to anything else but the electrical modifications, and in particular I noticed this after using the hypervoltage system and it has been something has been mentioned by others.

HOWEVER, you bring up a good point when you bring up a percentage and the electrical cooling mods, so I'll go back to what I stated above. If you want the bang for buck, your exhaust system is where you need to look. Intakes, even the K&N are an option, but they will never, ever deliver the hp/$ that a simple free flow muffler will. We'll cover that topic tomorrow.
Old 07-08-07, 09:33 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, quite a response!

Honestly, I just don't see RX300/330 being a race car. It was never meant to be one. If we're talking about really increasing the performances, the best way to go would be to drop in Chevy 350 or similar engine with a new tranny. Than we're talking!

Other than that, these little improvements are not worth the money or effort, RX will never beat Corvette on the race track no matter what wires or which exhaust you have.

On the side note, installing "performance" headers and exhaust system will not give you the best bang for the money. You'll get maybe 10-30hp increase, but that's about it. Will it be worth $2k you'll invest in parts and labor? Probably not, since you still will loose on the race track.

- Andrey
Old 07-08-07, 09:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by andreys
wow, quite a response!

Honestly, I just don't see RX300/330 being a race car. It was never meant to be one. If we're talking about really increasing the performances, the best way to go would be to drop in Chevy 350 or similar engine with a new tranny. Than we're talking!

Other than that, these little improvements are not worth the money or effort, RX will never beat Corvette on the race track no matter what wires or which exhaust you have.

On the side note, installing "performance" headers and exhaust system will not give you the best bang for the money. You'll get maybe 10-30hp increase, but that's about it. Will it be worth $2k you'll invest in parts and labor? Probably not, since you still will loose on the race track.

- Andrey
Oh for sure...headers won't do a thing without forced induction and they can cost a fortune, like these J.P. Performance headers for the 1MZFE (but I actually think they need modification for the RX300, TunedRX300 and I came to that conclusion a while back), but I could modify them to fit with some work, http://www.jpperformancellc.com/camsolheaders.html but why bother at that price.

I made some downpipes with an exhaust shop here and I am much happier with that and much cheaper to fabricate.

I should have been clearer, a free flow muffler is what I am referring to and also as an extension a simple y-pipe after the resonator (I will get to that point later). None of that will cost remotely close to $2K, but if you love your RX as much as I do and you want to do it, the option is available.

And for sure, my aim ain't to beat a Vette.

The vehicle that I actually keep me sights on is the Acura MDX, of which I have hunted down and killed once at my track (this was the first generation of the MDX). Never have seen one again. I coudn't care less about the Neon SRT-4s or any of those other vehicles I show on my videos page that give me a killing. SUVs/Trucks are what I like to toy with. And even with the faster vehicles, I love blasting them off the line on reaction time. Some of the crowd even boos them for being so slow off the line and actually losing at the 60 foot line.

Two other vehicles in particular that give me problems are:

1. Ford Ecosport, a very lightweight 4 cylinder kind of Ford Escape Jr., stickshift and will hit mid 17s if driven right, this is an Ecosport I took a video of vs. a Ford Ka, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5HPkUTb-w
2. Jeep Liberty- If you strip one of them down (no tire, no seats), you got yourself a mean little vehicle. A few people know this and they do just this to get high 17s.

What you won't beat:

Almost anything in a V8. You can beat several older Ford and Chevy V8 SUVs, land barges and even a Cayenne V6 should be a tasty midnight dessert at the track. A fat bucket of bolts. The RX350/400h owners might even get a pounding by a modern 4Runner.

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-08-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 10:16 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure wouldnt mind the performance gains from a free flow muffler... but the noise is a different story.. not worth hassling with my gals car over that!
Old 07-08-07, 10:17 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

a better battery will be much better. i want to change to a blue top when the stock batery dies
Old 07-08-07, 10:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AM1
a better battery will be much better. i want to change to a blue top when the stock batery dies
Blue Top, the marine battery, is a good deal, often cheaper and more than enough power to do the job.
Old 07-08-07, 10:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Blue Top, the marine battery, is a good deal, often cheaper and more than enough power to do the job.
you are right about that plus it has more cranking power and more reserve power then a comprabale yellow top plus seperate terminals, perfect for connecting audio systems.
Old 07-08-07, 10:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by benzo555
Sure wouldnt mind the performance gains from a free flow muffler... but the noise is a different story.. not worth hassling with my gals car over that!
It depends on the type. FlowMasters have a better design as far as minimizing noise, but ON AVERAGE, they don't get the same type of kick as a Magnaflow.

We actually have a quite a few members in the RX300 forum who have done muffler modifications, but I don't know that I have ever heard the noise come to a point where it might be a problem, even legally.

Keep in mind also, the resonator before the muffler does a major deal of the noise reduction and in addition you have two precats (also helps baffle the noise) and of course the main cat.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have the loudest RX (of any model) in the world...I am not 100% sure I have the fastest RX300, but I am very sure I can set off car alarms where other RXs wouldn't. Fortunately in Mexico, we don't have such decibel laws on the books. Though I do plan to modify my exhaust before I go back to the U.S.
Old 07-08-07, 10:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AM1
you are right about that plus it has more cranking power and more reserve power then a comprabale yellow top plus seperate terminals, perfect for connecting audio systems.
I am actually going to probably go to a lighterweight battery in the near future. Some of them weight under 15 lbs compared to the Optima, which is like 35+. For me, it is an important point on the track.

Only drawback for me is that the terminals are reversed. I had to cut the plastic ties on the battery cables so they could reach.

I remember there used to be an orange top out there that had less CCAs than the Red Top, but the terminals were perfectly aligned.
Old 07-08-07, 10:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Perhaps I should bring up another topic, since I already brought up the TTE Compressor for the RX300 which I am showing a picture of below, the link is here, http://www.tte.de/popup/cm_lexus_RX3...pressorkit.htm

Has there ever been a supercharger for the 2nd gen of RXs?
Attached Thumbnails Perfomance Modification-compressor.jpg  
Old 07-08-07, 10:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Oh yes and you will pay for it, see the photo below and this thread by DaveGS4,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138144

http://www.delta4x4.de/

There was a version listed that would come close to 270 hp (1 PS is about .98 hp) and one at about 301 PS or (294 hp).
Attached Thumbnails Perfomance Modification-kit1.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-08-07 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Perfomance Modification