RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I'm thinking of buying an '08 RX.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 09:01 AM
e-Mel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm thinking of buying an '08 RX.

I recently was in an RX350 loaner (base model). I was only in it for a few hours. A few observations. It rode almost as smoothly as my '07 ES350. It also seemed quieter inside. On my ES I have the Mark Levinson system and think it is very good. Does anyone know if the Mark Levinson system on the RX350 has an aux input for an mp3 player? Can you play DVDs on the RX350 nav unit (does it have to be an ML system to play them?). I also did not notice a fog light led indicator on the instrumental panel. The loaner also had "Lexus" sill plates on all four doors that were illuminated. Are they standard?
Thanks.
Old 05-31-07, 12:08 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

No RX head unit has an aux input, standard or ML. Expect that to show up in the 2009 remodel. It's relatively easy to add one with a device like those made by VAIStech, but nothing from the factory.

You can play DVDs on the nav unit in two ways. If you have the RSES, you can play a DVD and use the "picture" button on the nav system to bring the video to the front screen. Or, if you have the ML, you can play DVDs from the head unit directly. Both methods require the vehicle to be in park with the parking brake set (unless you ground the parking brake detect wire on the back of the nav display).

When the fog lights are on, there will be a green "lightbulb" icon in the bottom center of the left gauge pod.

Officially, the illuminated door sills are not standard, but they come with pretty much EVERY option package (Premium, Premium Plus, Nav/ML, Performance, Multi-panel roof, etc), and I've yet to see an RX without at least the Premium package, so the point is moot. No Lexus dealer wants to admit that you can buy one of their cars with cloth seats, so the "Illuminated Entry" option is effectively standard.
Old 06-01-07, 12:06 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never seen a lexus with cloth seats. at least not in years.
Old 06-01-07, 11:51 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing of value to add, other than my recent experience in an RX350 loaner pretty much sealed my interest to purchase one. Compared to my wife's '07 ES, I didn't find it to be more quiet, but it was certainly quiet enough for me, with a very compliant ride, benign handling, and all the appointments I was after.

The ML system was one option I really wanted, but no dealer in my area had one. Plenty of 400h models with the system, but no 350's. The RSES wasn't a necessity, so it was pretty easy to talk myself out of the system....with the icing on the cake being the sound of the standard Pioneer system. No complaints there.
Old 06-22-07, 05:42 PM
is250rulez
Rookie

Yes. I have the same thinking. ACtually I am being contacted by one saleman online. He give me a base model's price $36988, MSRP $41496. I told him "go screw yourself first then email me back". So, how much should I offer? How much did u buy your car? THanks
Old 06-22-07, 08:33 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is250rulez
Yes. I have the same thinking. ACtually I am being contacted by one saleman online. He give me a base model's price $36988, MSRP $41496. I told him "go screw yourself first then email me back". So, how much should I offer? How much did u buy your car? THanks
We bought our '07 RX350 brand new with Premium Plus package, AWD, NAV, blue tooth hands free, backup camera, HIDs...pretty much everything except the RSES or Mark Levinson. We got all of this for approximately for $41,300. Pretty good deal for an upscale luxury SUV. Walk away if they don't give you a deal similar or better than this.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-23-07, 01:11 AM
is250rulez
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
We bought our '07 RX350 brand new with Premium Plus package, AWD, NAV, blue tooth hands free, backup camera, HIDs...pretty much everything except the RSES or Mark Levinson. We got all of this for approximately for $41,300. Pretty good deal for an upscale luxury SUV. Walk away if they don't give you a deal similar or better than this.

Kan-O-Z
Hey, Thanks man. really helpful.
Old 06-23-07, 06:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Research, learn, patience....will get you want you want.
Old 06-23-07, 05:11 PM
B2001AS
Driver

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z

Kan-O-Z
Is that price OTD?
Old 06-24-07, 09:21 AM
supraturbo OLD
Driver School Candidate

if you are in Socal, it should be less than$35660 for MSRP of $41496
Old 06-24-07, 10:14 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Price really depends on how low your dealer is willing to go. I've got the same rig as Kan-O-Z and paid over $2k less. I woudn't expect this to be the norm, but I bought at the tail end of a holiday weekend and we worked the deal for nearly two hours. Part of the price concession was in lieu of offering more on my trade, but the bottom line on the contract was a very attractive price that put me in the machine.

Some dealers stress volume over margins, and others take the opposite approach. Many are wary to offer their best deal over the internet, so don't let that sway you. Ultimately, if price is key for you, you're going to have to spend face time working the numbers. Good luck...
Old 06-25-07, 07:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by is250rulez
The invoice on that should be around $35800, offer him $35000 and go from there.
Old 06-25-07, 01:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Try not to start with a base model price, unless you want to end up with a bare bones car (you will not find it anyway). Start high to low. Not low to high. Just one technique that might work.
Old 06-26-07, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I usually start low, the salesman always steer you toward the more expensive model anyways.
Old 06-26-07, 06:16 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
... Start high to low. Not low to high. ....
Can you explain what you mean by 'high to low'? Vehicle or price? If it's price, that seems contradictory to most negotiation guides.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of buying an '08 RX.