RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 09:26 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
Would you like for me to scan my window sticker of my 2007 RX350? It clearly says in big bold letters 20/25. Sometimes when standards are changed, it's not obvious to the consumer...but that doesn't mean that it's not true.
Please do so if yours is a AWD. I am not putting you on the spot, but according to the EPA link, the window sticker must use the new label when the new EPA fuel standard is used. New and better label IS the reason for the new fuel stand to take place. Exact quote from EPA link above
Also, to more clearly convey fuel economy information to consumers, EPA has updated the label's design and content
Old 06-09-07, 09:43 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front Row Leg Room:
Lexus - 42.5"
Acura - 41.2"

2nd Row Leg Room:
Lexus - 36.4"
Acura - 38.7"

Max Cargo Volume:
Lexus - 84.7 cu. ft
Acura - 83.5 cu. ft.

I stand corrected that the MDX does have 2.3" more leg room in the 2nd row...but the Lexus has 1.3" more leg room in the front seats. The Lexus also has 1.2 cubic feet of more ultimate cargo volume.

I am stating all of this because somehow people feel that the MDX is much bigger inside than the RX and this is just not true! Yes the MDX is a few inches wider but lets face it, these vehicles are fairly close in interior dimensions. For those that think they can pile 4 ppl into the second row in the MDX no problem and would never even think of doing such a thing in the RX are misinformed.

Yes the MDX may have bigger third row seats than the bigger Lexus SUVs but that just goes to show that 3rd row seats in any SUV are worthless...except for maybe and Escalade or Excursion.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-09-07, 09:46 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Please do so if yours is a AWD. I am not putting you on the spot, but according to the EPA link, the window sticker must use the new label when the new EPA fuel standard is used. New and better label IS the reason for the new fuel stand to take place. Exact quote from EPA link above
I will do so when I get a chance...until then please take a look at this link from Edmunds.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/lex...406/specs.html

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-09-07, 09:49 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Guys, while you have been stuck in the minutia of EPA fuel standards, I have been negotiating my deal for a new RX 350 here in Colorado.

I think I'm there with this dealership located 25 miles north of downtown Denver. I would be getting an AWD RX 350 with the "Premium Plus Luxury Value Edition", including the NAV system but standard audio system, 18" Liquid Graphite wheels, heated seats with rain sensing wipers, towing package, and accessory package. All this for $41,657, or $800 over the stated invoice of $40,857, and over $4,000 below the $45,816 MSRP. Seems like a really good deal, but the dealer is insisting that I pay a $400 "delivery and dealer handling fee", which seems sort of bogus. That fee is included in the above negotiated price, so I'm really paying just $400 over invoice if you take that out.

Problem is I can't get this dealer to budge on this "fee", and they won't take it out. Should I really worry about this detail, or just go ahead with it? I will say they've been very helpful in one other aspect - They are agreeing to swap out the OEM tires for Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas (which I prefer) for only $192, including mounting and balancing. I'm hoping it's for all 5 tires, including the spare, but that's not clear yet.

You guys think I can do any better than this? Thanks for all your help in my decision making process, by the way.

Last edited by Roxpert; 06-09-07 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-09-07, 09:50 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Here is the link for AWD:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/lex...407/specs.html

It's actually 19/24. I guess I was confusing the mpg between the 2wd and 4wd . Still better than the MDX though

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-09-07, 09:54 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will do so when I get a chance...until then please take a look at this link from Edmunds.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/lex...406/specs.html

Kan-O-Z
Thanks for making the effort. However, you realize the link you provided is for a FWD RX350. Exact quote from the edmund link
Drive Type: FWD
No one would compare a mpg of a FWD vs AWD when the AWD by definition has two axels to channel power instead of one. This is the very reason FWD RX350 enjoys mpg advantage over AWD RX350.
The relevant comparasion is RX350 AWD vs MDX AWD, apple to apple.
Old 06-09-07, 09:56 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Roxpert
Guys, while you have been stuck in the minutia of EPA fuel standards, I have been negotiating my deal for a new RX 350 here in Colorado.

I think I'm there with this dealership located 25 miles north of downtown Denver. I would be getting an AWD RX 350 with the "Premium Plus Luxury Value Edition", including the NAV system but standard stereo, 18" Liquid Graphite wheels, heated seats with rain sensing wipers, towing package, and accessory package. All this for $41,657, or $800 over the stated invoice of $40,857, and over $4,000 below the $45,816 MSRP. Seems like a really good deal, but the dealer is insisting that I pay a $400 "delivery and dealer handling fee", which seems sort of bogus. That fee is included in the above negotiated price, so I'm really paying just $400 over invoice if you take that out.

Problem is I can't get this dealer to budge on this "fee", and they won't take it out. Should I really worry about this detail, or just go ahead with it? I will say they've been very helpful in one other aspect - They are agreeing to swap out the OEM tires for Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas (which I prefer) for only $192, including mounting and balancing. I'm hoping it's for all 5 tires, including the spare, but that's not clear yet.

You guys think I can do any better than this? Thanks for all your help in my decision making process, by the way.
That's a great deal especially for AWD with all of those options. Even better is that they are switching out your tires for only $192 (make sure they do the spare since it's a full size tire). See if they can throw in an XM radio for free and tell them you'll take the car if they do that. See what they say. If you really think you can't shake the $400 fee then I say go for it. You don't want to lose out on a great deal for just $400. That's my opinion!

Kan-O-Z

P.S. This price definitely sounds much much better than any MDX you could get with all of these options.
Old 06-09-07, 09:57 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Thanks for making the effort. However, you realize the link you provided is for a FWD RX350. Exact quote from the edmund link

No one would compare a mpg of a FWD vs AWD when the AWD by definition has two axels to channel power instead of one. This is the very reason FWD RX350 enjoys mpg advantage over AWD RX350.
The relevant comparasion is RX350 AWD vs MDX AWD, apple to apple.
Yes I just realized that. Please take a look at the previous post. It's actually 19/24 for AWD.

I also just pulled out my window sticker and it does indeed say 19/24! I was confusing FWD and AWD. It's about 1 mpg lower which isn't bad at all

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-09-07, 10:37 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

. . . <snip> . . . All this for $41,657, or $800 over the stated invoice of $40,857, and over $4,000 below the $45,816 MSRP. Seems like a really good deal, but the dealer is insisting that I pay a $400 "delivery and dealer handling fee", which seems sort of bogus. That fee is included in the above negotiated price, so I'm really paying just $400 over invoice if you take that out. . . <snip> . . .
The dealer has to make a profit on the car. $400 over their "invoice" doesn't even pay the electric bill, much less a salesperson's commission. Why do you want to deny the dealer of paying their fixed costs (real estate, electric, water, etc.)?

Yeah, I know they will make it up in the end (during your meeting with the Finance person, or for maintenance), but that's not a given.

Old 06-10-07, 06:32 AM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

P.S. This price definitely sounds much much better than any MDX you could get with all of these options.
Kan-O-Z, thanks for the reassurance. I actually could get an MDX for $800 over invoice (and no dealer prep fees), either the Tech package for $40,903 or the Sport package for $42,804. They already include XM, MP3 Jacks, etc. The Acura dealer also would swap out the OEM for my preferred tires for very little cost.

Still, I think the RX deal being offered to me sounds good. I tried the "XM gambit", but they wouldn't discount the XM install below $500. I guess that's how they make their money (that, and the dealer prep fee). Oh, and they want to charge $470 for an MP3 Jack install. Should I do that, or are there better deals in the aftermarket? (At least they say that the MP3 player charges when plugged in and music info appears on the NAV screen.)
Old 06-10-07, 08:23 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Kan-O-Z, thanks for the reassurance. I actually could get an MDX for $800 over invoice (and no dealer prep fees), either the Tech package for $40,903 or the Sport package for $42,804. They already include XM, MP3 Jacks, etc. The Acura dealer also would swap out the OEM for my preferred tires for very little cost.

Still, I think the RX deal being offered to me sounds good. I tried the "XM gambit", but they wouldn't discount the XM install below $500. I guess that's how they make their money (that, and the dealer prep fee). Oh, and they want to charge $470 for an MP3 Jack install. Should I do that, or are there better deals in the aftermarket? (At least they say that the MP3 player charges when plugged in and music info appears on the NAV screen.)
If you are even a slight bit handy in doing things yourself, the MP3/Aux input from VAIS Tech is fairly simple and can be done in 30 minutes or less yourself. I believe the unit costs around $200 or so. VAIS Tech also makes a seperate unit for XM radio as well and they can both be installed and work together.

There is also another alternative if you want XM and MP3. I believe that either VAISTech or another NEO makes an XM which has an MP3 /aux input built in so you can get both buying just one unit.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-10-07, 06:21 PM
GoodDrivin
Driver School Candidate

Wow, the sports package for only 42804? That's a pretty tempting deal. Toss in the entertainment package for 44500? Heck, I would go buy that car. I have to say the mdx rear entertainment setup is better than the rx.
I told my wife that if I were to get an MDX, it would have to be fully loaded, so since she didn't wanna shell out 50k after tax(they really weren't discounting at that time)...

Also I think if you don't care about the third row seats, it's cause you don't have small kids. It's all about the kids.

But sounds like you are gonna bite on the rx, it seems like an ok deal. It's a totally different ride from the mdx, so if you are sure that's what you want, go for it.

Old 06-10-07, 06:54 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

There is also another alternative if you want XM and MP3. I believe that either VAISTech or another NEO makes an XM which has an MP3 /aux input built in so you can get both buying just one unit.

Kan-O-Z
I'm not handy, but have researched VAISTech and found that their $300 SLX unit has both an XM tuner interface and an AUX input for MP3 players. Then, all that's needed is a Terk Universal XM receiver, which is $50. Now, I wonder if I should go that direction or have the dealer install the OEM equipment? Which is better, and WHO in Denver could install the VAISTech and Terk equipment for me, if I wanted to go with them?

One caveat; the salesperson at Lexus said aftermarket XM equipment installed on the OEM audio system would void the Lexus warranty for the system. If true, I don't want to even think about VAISTech.
Old 06-10-07, 07:00 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoodDrivin
But sounds like you are gonna bite on the rx, it seems like an ok deal. It's a totally different ride from the mdx, so if you are sure that's what you want, go for it.
I'm never totally sure, which is why I took so much time researching and analyzing this. What it really comes down to is that my wife and I like smooth and quiet rides for long roadtrips so that we arrive at our destination feeling relatively rested, and I need something that I can maneuver in tight parking spaces in my office garage.

3rd row seats aren't important to me (you are right, no kids). Plus, I have had experience with the Lexus RX 300, over 110k miles on it now.

Having said all that, I still could have opted (and technically could still change my mind) for the MDX, but as I wrote up-thread, I finally decided it was the RX "by a whisker".

Of course, I'll miss not having the techy gadgetry of the MDX, and the change in brands/models might have been a refreshing change of pace. I suppose I'm making the "least risky" $40k decision for me, which is probably the boring way to go. But at least I can sleep with it.
Old 06-10-07, 07:01 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoodDrivin
Wow, the sports package for only 42804? That's a pretty tempting deal. Toss in the entertainment package for 44500? Heck, I would go buy that car. I have to say the mdx rear entertainment setup is better than the rx.
I told my wife that if I were to get an MDX, it would have to be fully loaded, so since she didn't wanna shell out 50k after tax(they really weren't discounting at that time)...

Also I think if you don't care about the third row seats, it's cause you don't have small kids. It's all about the kids.

The RX is a great deal. I believe that you saying it's an 'ok' deal is your opinion since you are not very thrilled with the RX. You're correct, they sure are different rides. My opinion is that the Lexus excels at what it's made for which is luxury, ride and quality which is something the MDX doesn't quite match which is my opinion

Roxpert, we made the same decision some months back and have never looked back. As a matter of fact, I used to think the MDX looked good when it first came out but now the looks have already lost their charm with me. The RX looks smooth!

Kan-O-Z

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!