RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 11:06 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the link to MDX forum, same question answered by MDX owners.
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=28680
Old 06-05-07, 11:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

They finally got rid of the slashing gas tank problem on the new MDX by designing a new gas tank. I am very surprise Acura didnt address the brake clunk issue, it seems like a very easy fix and almost all MDX has it.
I also had the anti freeze leaking problem on my MDX as well as the slashing gas tank, the shifting driver seat, sunroof rattle, driver door shakes and rattles when going over bumpy road and wide gaps on interior panels. I was one of the few lucky one who did not get the EGR valve or the transmission overheating and skipping gear issue.
Old 06-05-07, 01:32 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Be glad that an automaker makes changes, it may seem this is a given but Lexus has not make any change on the transmission hesitation problem ever since RX300 was first launched. Not just RX, but also ES.
Solution #1: reflash after reflash. #2: "It learns your driving style". Total BS.

RX300 Tranny
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238236
RX330 Tranny
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284897
ES350 Tranny
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284028

1mz-fe is notorious for sludge, yes owner neglect is a partial cause but not just Toyota/Lexus owners are the only ones neglects oil change. 8 year extended warranty on 1mz-fe is great but the follow-up 3mz-fe design is not that much easy on oil either. Apparently it is a patch-up design until 2gr-fe.

To be fair, if I were Lexus, I would not make a single change either. Owners have been very forgiving and sales are going through the roof, I will never issue a recall as long as I can make $.

BTW, RX's brake also have clunk issue, there is a TSB, some member reported the problem exists even with previous model of Avalon. Search and you will find a link to the TSB in the RX300 forum.
Old 06-05-07, 09:40 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even the dealer admits that the ES current gen has the same tranny problem as the RX does. they said the avalon, camry, pretty much any toyota made car with that engine and tranny combo and FWD has that problem to some degree. good to know right?
Old 06-06-07, 03:52 PM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is absolutely amazing to be reading all these MDX problems and yet I still haven't experienced any of them myself ~ my 07 MDX has just gone pass 12,500 miles and it's still as solid as a rock and NO hesitation on acceleration whatsoever!

On the other hand, all three of my RXs (99, 01, 04) had terrible rattling and hesitation problems and NO power to speak of! Oh, well!
Old 06-06-07, 04:30 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My3rdRX
It is absolutely amazing to be reading all these MDX problems and yet I still haven't experienced any of them myself ~ my 07 MDX has just gone pass 12,500 miles and it's still as solid as a rock and NO hesitation on acceleration whatsoever!

On the other hand, all three of my RXs (99, 01, 04) had terrible rattling and hesitation problems and NO power to speak of! Oh, well!
I think part of the reason is because everyone is talking about 4 different vehicles. Some are talking about 1st gen RX300, some are talking about current RX330/350, while others are talking about 1st gen MDX and yet others are talking about 2nd gen MDX. My cousin's 05 MDX had no issues and when I was in it I couldn't detect any rattles or other odd problems. It was just as good as our RX330.
Old 06-06-07, 04:35 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

My wife and I just spent nearly a week each driving loaner RX's. Both were '06 hybrids with a bit over 11k miles. Granted, it's obvious these things are driven hard and put away wet, but I was definitely dismayed at the condition of the leather and the number of rattles and creaks throughout the interior. I semi-tongue-in-cheek mentioned to my wife that if mine starts behaving the same way it'll be gone.

The MDX is awesome, there's no doubt about it. I think Acura hit one out of the park with the new design, features, and certainly the performance. FWIW the TSX my wife replaced was tight and rattle-free when we sold it. That said - Acura's typically thin body panels and really thin clearcoat made themselves evident. No issues like that with any Toyota product I've owned. Anyway, the MDX is a bit larger than I needed, and as-equipped/price negotiated quite a bit more expensive. Factor that and - at least in my area - the comparably miserable dealer experience and the RX was an easy decision.
Old 06-06-07, 11:48 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^at least you have good reasons to back up why you didnt buy a acura, not just blindly following lexus around.
Old 06-07-07, 12:25 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

To be fair, I think we should wait and compare the new MDX to the new RX. The redesign MDX is not selling well, Its sale number only went up like 10%. I will bet that the new RX's sale numbers will go up a lot more than that. I think the biggest issue with the new MDX is that it is too flashy for middle age or the older generation. If you think about it, those are the people who can really afford these type of car. That leaves us with the younger buyers, and most younger buyers have no need for a 7 passenger car.
Old 06-07-07, 12:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

oh i thought of another reason why the MDX is the wrong choice. THe way they make the MDX, first or second gen, and people will probably disagree with me, is that its more "butch" looking. Its not classy, like the sculpted curves of the RX.

plus that joystick is the most hideous thing ive ever seen. period. can i at least be right about this one?
Old 06-07-07, 01:37 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Ok, fine...you're right. Seriously though - have you tried it? It's pretty effective. And one thing that isn't mentioned when talking about it against the touchscreen - you'd have to have incredibly long arms to reach the screen...it's just too far away.

In terms of waiting for a comparison, I see the point but you can only compare items that are available when you're in the market.
Old 06-07-07, 01:40 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Both Acura and Lexus reported May 2007 Sales. Lexus RX350 has the volume lead, but 2g MDX has the % increase lead as of May 2007.

2g MDX DSR is +27% from last May, 2007 total units sold +7.1%
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/050209.html

RX350 DSR is +13.3% from last May, 2007 total units sold +5.5%
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php?...479&Itemid=155
Old 06-07-07, 02:21 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please read this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=254395&page=2

Advantages Of Lexus:
-More Luxury
-Better Reliability (Lexus is typically more reliable than Acura and then throw in the fact that the RX350 is in it's last model year with all the problems worked out v. the MDX is fairly new = Lexus easily wins here)
-Better Fuel Economy (RX350 is best in class)
-Better Status (If you care)
-No 3rd row seat (Yes this is an advantage for some. It leads to a lighter vehicle. Lexus is 500lbs lighter than MDX. Better fuel economy. Exterior proportions are just a bit smaller making it easier to park and drive)
-Much better price (basically you are getting a higher status more luxurious vehicle for cheaper )
-Ride Quality (Lexus is like butter, the best if you want luxury)

Equal:
-Acceleration (both are equal, if anything the Lexus edges out the MDX)
-4WD (Both have an excellent system but I have heard the MDX SHAWD can work against you in the worst of conditions)
-Cargo Room (Lexus edges out the MDX)

Advantages of MDX:
-3rd row seat (although useless unless you are 10 years old or less)
-Handling (if you like stiffer and more sporty)

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-07-07, 02:38 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

For AWD 2g MDX has the same EPA estimated mpg as the Lexus RX350, official numbers are both
City (mpg) - estimated 17
Highway (mpg) - estimated 22

Lexus and Acura EPA estimated mpg links
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/detai...fications.html
www.acura.com

FWD RX350 has better mpg but who in the right mind would compare a FWD mpg with a AWD?
Old 06-07-07, 03:25 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
even the dealer admits that the ES current gen has the same tranny problem as the RX does. they said the avalon, camry, pretty much any toyota made car with that engine and tranny combo and FWD has that problem to some degree. good to know right?
This just confims my low opinion of most of the people I talk to at dealers. The current generation of ES and Camry have totally different transmissions than the RX. The ES and Camry have new 6 speed autos while the RX (and Avalon) still have the 5 speed. The new 6 speeds apparently have had some problems unique to the new design transmission.

Steve

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!