RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 10:27 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steiner
To me, Acura has always been a "near luxury" car. It's almost there, but not quite. Everything, and I mean everything, is a little short. No matter what, fom the leather, to the "fake" wood trim, to the level of dealership services, everything is just a little short of satisfaction.

So after many years with 'good values", I got tired of that mentality and went with Lexus. And I think I am right, To compare with Acura, everything about Lexus is a little better.
I totally agree with this. I found out a year after I bought my Acura that the side/rear portion of the front seat is fake leather. Only the "touching surface" is real leather. Not to mention the fake wood

If the price of the MDX was significantly lower, that'd be a different story. But since they're similar, definitely go with the RX.
Old 06-03-07, 09:54 PM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to read the July issue of Consumer Reports as they have rated the RX and MDX neck-'n-neck! I went to the MDX because it's a new design and has many latest technological features that the RX doesn't have.

As a matter of fact, I have come to love the **** over the touch-screen, because it's much easier to use and I never have to worry about a smudged screen any longer!

However, when the RX comes out with the new design in 09, I'll have to re-evaluate the differences!

Last edited by My3rdRX; 06-04-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 12:34 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leather and wood

Originally Posted by steiner
To me, Acura has always been a "near luxury" car. It's almost there, but not quite. Everything, and I mean everything, is a little short. No matter what, fom the leather, to the "fake" wood trim, to the level of dealership services, everything is just a little short of satisfaction.
Not sure about RX350, but check out this thread on RX330, are you sure Lexus uses real "genuine" wood?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=22253&st=0
Check out Toyota official description of Avalon (simulated wood) and compare to the RX to get another data point.

Lexus' leather is very supple, but thinner leather tends to leave crease and cracks. See picture in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216939
Old 06-04-07, 12:54 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Not sure about RX350, but check out this thread on RX330, are you sure Lexus uses real "genuine" wood?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=22253&st=0
Check out Toyota official description of Avalon (simulated wood) and compare to the RX to get another data point.

Lexus' leather is very supple, but thinner leather tends to leave crease and cracks. See picture in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216939
The wood on the RX330 is real, although it is a very thin 1 or 2mm wood veneer. I've taken the wood panels off a few times to confirm. Too me, it makes little difference if it is simulated wood, or wood veneer when it is that thin as long as it looks good. Now, if it were the solid wood blocks like in my old SC400 than that might be something to brag about
Old 06-04-07, 01:41 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The wood on the RX330 is real, although it is a very thin 1 or 2mm wood veneer. I've taken the wood panels off a few times to confirm. Too me, it makes little difference if it is simulated wood, or wood veneer when it is that thin as long as it looks good. Now, if it were the solid wood blocks like in my old SC400 than that might be something to brag about
Fully agreed. It is the final look that really counts, not the snob appeal of "hey I got the real, you got the fake". As long as xxx setup looks good, it gets my vote.
Old 06-04-07, 11:17 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i hate wood trim in all cars. why dont they offer aluminum or carbon fiber.
Old 06-04-07, 12:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AM1
i hate wood trim in all cars. why dont they offer aluminum or carbon fiber.
Aluminum I can see, But carbon fiber in a Lexus? I like CF myself, but generally in a sports car Not even the IS350 is sporty enough in my eyes to warrant CF in the interior.
Old 06-04-07, 01:06 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I will throw in my 2 cents worth. I use to a die hard Honda fan, owned more than a few Hondas and Acuras in my life time. Acura makes great sedans but they don’t know how to build a truck, Toyota has much more experience building trucks.
My last Acura was a 03 MDX, looks great on paper just like the new MDX. After 2 years, everything but the engine starts to fall apart. I had countless rattles that the Acura dealer refuse to fix. I read similar thing on the Acura forum about the new MDX as well. Wide gaps on interior and exterior body panels, bad built quality and rattles. The truck has been only out for a few months and people are reporting all these problem already, think about 2 years down the line when the real problems starts to show up.
The real diff. between the two trucks is luxury vs. performance. What are your priorities? Do you need that 3rd seat? That fold away 3rd row seat in the MDX comes in awfully handy when you have more than 5 passengers.
The dimensions between the 2 cars are quite diff. As well. The old MDX was so wide that even with its good handling, I find it hard to drive around tight city streets sometimes. The new one looks even wider, I don’t know what Acura was thinking of when they design the new MDX with its wide dimension and that ugly grill.
Old 06-04-07, 01:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Carbon fiber in a luxury car?????????????
Old 06-04-07, 02:43 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

To hold more room, there is no secrect exterior dimension must become bigger. As I mentioned before, 2007 MDX is comparable with GX470, especially on interior space. There is a clear tradeoff here: MDX is 4.5" wider and 6.2" lower than GX. Lexus prefers to make GX tall, Acura prefers to make MDX is wide.

Wider stance is more stable, handles better, safer, and more aero dynamic, at the expense of requiring driver a little more hand-eye-coordination skill. For those who can park a LX w/o any problem, it is a tradeoff of shoulder space with head rooms.
As the original poster mentioned, it is up to what individual driver prefers, no right or wrong answer.
Old 06-05-07, 06:06 AM
anulex
Pole Position

I always wonder y people choose a lexus forum to ask which is better a MDX or RX350. or go to honda Forum to ask if the Rav4 is btter than the CRV. it would be wiser IMHO to ask what u hate about the Lexus on the Lexus forum and what u hate about the acura on an Acura forum.
Old 06-05-07, 06:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The interior of the MDX is actually a lot more roomier than the GX. The GX and the MDX both have comfortable front seats, but the MDX has much more room in the 2nd and 3rd row seat. The GX with its norrower dimension makes it much more easy to drive in the city. The 2 cars are diff. animals really, one is design for luxury and one is design for performance.
Old 06-05-07, 09:32 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Aluminum I can see, But carbon fiber in a Lexus? I like CF myself, but generally in a sports car Not even the IS350 is sporty enough in my eyes to warrant CF in the interior.
true, but anything but wood trim. i detest wood trim, which is why in general i like interiors in european cars.....cold, dark, serious, the way a car interior should be. i dont get how anyone can think a car like the mdx or GX is hard to park? we live in america not an old european village or in a japanese city where streets are small and narrow.
Old 06-05-07, 10:19 AM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

AM1, if you saw the tight curves and concrete posts in my office garage, you'd understand my concern. Not that I can't negotiate such tight spaces, but it would force me to think and be careful. I have grazed garage posts with my 1999 RX 300 in the past, which is 7 inches narrower than the '07 MDX. Thus, my concerns.
Old 06-05-07, 10:39 AM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I will throw in my 2 cents worth. I use to a die hard Honda fan, owned more than a few Hondas and Acuras in my life time. Acura makes great sedans but they don’t know how to build a truck, Toyota has much more experience building trucks.
My last Acura was a 03 MDX, looks great on paper just like the new MDX. After 2 years, everything but the engine starts to fall apart. I had countless rattles that the Acura dealer refuse to fix. I read similar thing on the Acura forum about the new MDX as well. Wide gaps on interior and exterior body panels, bad built quality and rattles. The truck has been only out for a few months and people are reporting all these problem already, think about 2 years down the line when the real problems starts to show up.
The real diff. between the two trucks is luxury vs. performance. What are your priorities? Do you need that 3rd seat? That fold away 3rd row seat in the MDX comes in awfully handy when you have more than 5 passengers.
The dimensions between the 2 cars are quite diff. As well. The old MDX was so wide that even with its good handling, I find it hard to drive around tight city streets sometimes. The new one looks even wider, I don’t know what Acura was thinking of when they design the new MDX with its wide dimension and that ugly grill.
Roxpert,

I think you post exact question on MDX forums.

I agree with The G Man. I, too came from Honda Pilot '03 and my Sister own '04 MDX and both Pilot and MDX are having the same problem "Cluck Noise", engine began to make lots of noise, anti-freeze leaking, EGR problem just to name a few and countless recall. I also notice an '07 still having the same problem "Cluck Noise".

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!