RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Transmission firmware update

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 08:24 PM
NewEngland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission firmware update

Hi everyone-

I'm new in this forum. My RX has a nagging delay when accelerating from nearly stop. There is approximately 2 or 3 seconds delay when there is no response from pressing the accelerator. I complained about this to dealer a few times and finally they agree to do the transmission software update.

After the update I feel the lag better but I still there. The transmission shift is quicker than before. I got some "thump" when downshift but it's completely better than the lag that i can live with this no problem.

This morming, I just found out that the car has an update at 21K from previous owner. (mine done at 38K).

1/ Dealer say "the update will take sometime to get better base on my driving style.
I drive very soft, not too hard foot. But I can still let the car fall into the lag easily or avoid it.

How do I drive now? Just drive normally or conservatively to avoid the lag??? I'm so confuse the word "adjust drive style" from dealer. Because the previous owner did have an update before so I just worry the problem will come later.

2/ Lexus only pay twice for ECM firmware update. is this true?

3/ The previous owner had done TSB 005-03. I had done TSB 005-03 too. So what did the dealer with this same TSB?

Thanks all in advance.
Old 05-30-07, 01:45 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my car updated and the tranny has actually gotten worse. there IS NO fix for the tranny. my mechanic has taken his rx330 in twice already and the same thing keeps happening. mine is so bad that its to the point where im ready to drive it into a wall. anyways im taking it back again in a week to have them do something to it plus fix other stuff that isnt working
Old 05-30-07, 06:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The tansmission will learn your driving style. If you drive consevatively, it will delay its down shift to save on fuel. Open up your car once a while, get on the highway and punch it. You can also pull out the fuse or the battery to reset the transmission ecu so it will reset your learned driving style. One other solution is to down shift manually when you need passing power, shift it down to third or fourth and you can override the shift delay.
Old 05-30-07, 08:31 AM
NewEngland
Driver School Candidate

I have heard about pulling out the fuse but i really dont have any idea about this. Can you please provide more detail? Take it out and put it back right? in case i take out the battery, Should i need to enter the radio code number? i don't have one.

Thanks
Old 05-30-07, 10:02 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

pulling the fuse out will not do anything different. i dont believe the tranny can learn a damn thing. ive driven my car hard, easy, slow, fast, forcing to up shift, forcing it to down shift, etc the car does whatever it feels like. sometime when im driving on a regular street it drives on low gear like im going down a huge hill, when the shofter is still in "drive". i dont think the dealers have any fix for it.
Old 05-31-07, 05:24 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

hmm glad i have the 'sport' mode on my rx350 and can use it like a tiptronic. but even under normal mode i hardly find one second lag before the car picks up speed. no thump sound while downshifting either.
Old 05-31-07, 09:27 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

I believe that Lexus has came up with a reversion of the tanny update:
TC005-03R ECM CALIBRATION: SHIFT FEELING ENHANCEMENTand make sure to ask them also to do TC002-03 ECM RESET MEMORY FUNCTION
Old 05-31-07, 10:32 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

we'll see when i take mine in a week or so.
Old 05-31-07, 10:41 AM
NewEngland
Driver School Candidate

I only had the TC005-03 update not TC005-03R. I'm not sure about TC002-03 that is not on the paperwork. As i know the previous owner has the other update at 21K, now i had once again at 38K. They're the same TSB, Is this true?

Thanks
Old 06-01-07, 12:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

possibly. but the last time i was at the dealer they had no way to do anything to the tranny.
Old 06-03-07, 01:09 AM
CX889
Rookie

I experienced the acceleration delay as well... I thought that's to do with the engine maybe it is sludging but then if it's only been running around 3.3k miles then i dun think it's related. But I found on my 350 that when I floor it hard it can eliminate the lagging. Maybe I can check with my lexus dealer and ask for that transmission code and see if there are any solutions.
Old 06-03-07, 08:25 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

******NEWSFLA************ all the RX330's and RX350's have the tranny problem to some degree, the dealers DO NOT have a fix for this, that new update might fix the problem but i highly doubt it. Dont believe what the dealers say.....the following are not true.......
1.Thats the way the car is, complete BS
2.Its because the car is a FWD car, or if its AWD, that its primarily in fwd mode
3.It is normal to have a 5 second lag between shifts
4.reprogramming the tranny will solve all problems.
Old 06-04-07, 01:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its the transmssion, alot of other manufacturer who use this tranmission have similar complains.
Old 06-08-07, 11:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Now I am beginning to understand what you were talking about on the tranny hesitation....step on the gas and it is like it is choking....so, I basically like rock.....it suddendy picks up and surges...after a few seconds delay....annoying the crap outta me.
Old 06-14-07, 09:00 PM
gonzalu
Rookie

My RX-330 (2004) was really bad... I wanted to KILL someone. At a daily toll booth, I would have to wait for the barrier to come up. If I was trying to beat someone off the line to the merge, I would always loose due to the damn lag/delay... only from rolling start. From a standing start it would not happen.

My new 2008 RX-350 (3 days old, 70 miles on ODO) hopefully will not exhibit this ... I'll find out when I break it in at 1,000 miles or so.

However, the 2007 RX-350 I test drove was fine... no lag whatsoever and the extra 30 horses were nicely felt too :-)

Quick Reply: Transmission firmware update