RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Mesh on Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 06:34 PM
troz350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think it will affect the air cooling of the condenser when using the AC?
Old 05-15-07, 07:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Nope, if you will notice, if you have been driving on slower speed, the AC fan will turn on...signifying it needs air flow (with or without the restriction). So, unless you can feel a more frequent "on" of the fan....it is not affecting the airflow.
Old 05-15-07, 07:47 PM
troz350
Driver School Candidate

cool....great job....looks great!
Old 06-04-07, 11:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Alright, I'm planning on buying and installing the items tomorrow (Tuesday). I already have the tin snips (wire cutting scissors), black spray paint, and all the other tools. I plan on buying the mesh and black-colored wire ties to use.

mandyfig, when your instructions say to slide in the mesh, I'm assuming you mean from the rear of the vehicle towards the front, yes?

Also, I understand that I should cut each mesh to 21 inches long. Is the width fine? Do I need to trim anything else (e.g. taper the ends)?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-07, 12:00 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Alright, I'm planning on buying and installing the items tomorrow (Tuesday). I already have the tin snips (wire cutting scissors), black spray paint, and all the other tools. I plan on buying the mesh and black-colored wire ties to use.
All done!

I bought a small roll of galvanized soffit vent mesh which has smaller openings than the gutter guard mesh. The gutter guards at my local Home Depot were plastic and had relatively large openings. After cutting to size, I primed it with metal primer so that my final flat black coats (two) of paint would adhere. I followed mandyfig's instructions and things went well.

The only two slow-downs were 1) popping the two plastic clips off. I was afraid I would break them, and 2) threading the plastic wire ties back down through the mesh. I finally figured it out by sticking a finger under the mesh to help guide it back down. Whew! That's what took the longest.

I decided to put a wire tie on each rib (five, total). This would help keep the mesh in place better and would minimize any movement (read: rattles). Also, with my wire ties being black and thin, they are not really noticeable at all.

When it was all done, I had spent somewhere in the neighborhood of US$12-$14.

Last edited by NXOwner; 06-06-07 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 11:51 AM
mandyfig

[QUOTE=RXOwner;2670352]Alright, I'm planning on buying and installing the items tomorrow (Tuesday). I already have the tin snips (wire cutting scissors), black spray paint, and all the other tools. I plan on buying the mesh and black-colored wire ties to use.

mandyfig, when your instructions say to slide in the mesh, I'm assuming you mean from the rear of the vehicle towards the front, yes?

Also, I understand that I should cut each mesh to 21 inches long. Is the width fine? Do I need to trim anything else (e.g. taper the ends)?

Thanks!

Yes, slide from rear to front, width is perfect. Push the mesh all the way up, means front.
Old 06-06-07, 11:52 AM
mandyfig

Great, post a pic, let's see....
Old 07-08-08, 07:27 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Man, did I just dodge a big bullit! I just came back from a 3000 miles vacation and while washing the bugs off the front I looked into the airdam and saw a big gouge in the AC condenser. It looks like it was hit by a rock. Luckily no leak.

Needless to say that I immediately ran to Home Depot and bought a metal mesh to cover the airdam just like shown on the pictures above. I also bought 2 brown plastic guards, cut one out and covered the grill from the inside. I used the other one to protect the big gap betwen the hood and the bumper. I fixed the middle of it with cable ties to the vertical metal bar in front of the AC condenser. Its not visible from the outside and doesn't rattle. Thanks for the directions and pictures.

I strongly recomend every owner to cover at least the bumper airdams. Otherwise don't cry when your condenser gets destroyed and you will have to pay $1000+ for the repair.
Old 07-09-08, 06:24 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

nicely done and a good idea
Old 07-09-08, 07:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A good looking mod that's functional too! Great idea guys - thanks for the tip!
Old 07-10-08, 08:55 AM
mandyfig

I am telling you guys, I have heard horror stories about the AC taking a dump because of rocks, etc. from the road. 1st mod I did when I got the RX330!!!!
Old 07-14-08, 12:24 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Just did the mod with Soffit mesh. Unfortunately, it is not as stiff as I believe the galvanized stuff is so it has a few buckles in it, but it looks alot better than the screen/ground cover material I had before. The gutter mesh holes were way too big and would easily let in bees etc, which have done a pretty god number on my condenser fins already. Mandyfig, I am surprised at how clean your condenser was in those pics. I would recommend using the metal stuff for anyone who's going to do it, but I just couldn't find any this weekend. Thanks for a great post.
Regards
Old 08-04-08, 03:58 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mesh air dam mod.

Hi Mandyfig,

I did the air dam mod just as you suggested, and painted the mesh black first. What a great idea you had for protecting the condenser! It looks like a factory install.

Thank you,
Carl
Old 08-04-08, 06:18 PM
mandyfig

You are welcome. I will probably paint mine, too. Black would be good if I do not go with chrome......
Old 08-04-08, 06:20 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by 4482
Hi Mandyfig,

I did the air dam mod just as you suggested, and painted the mesh black first. What a great idea you had for protecting the condenser! It looks like a factory install.

Thank you,
Carl
Post a pic, will ya? We like to see it in Black!

Quick Reply: Mesh on Air Dam