RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tapping noise behind gauge cluster ('04-Rx330)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 09:59 AM
fpmacko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping noise behind gauge cluster ('04-Rx330)

Starting with the warm spring weather a couple of weeks ago, I'm hearing a pronounced tapping noise at about a one-second period directly behind the gauges. (This has never happened since new.) It seems to occur only when the ambient temp is above 60-65 degrees. It'll be there when I start the car, and will persist for 5-10 minutes before going away on its own. It'll also restart at random times while driving and go away a few minutes later. I can't correlate it to any other activity such as the climate control system (i.e., cycling the system off and on has no effect).

Um stumped. Any ideas before I see the dealer?
Old 04-27-07, 10:27 PM
drpack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fpmacko
Starting with the warm spring weather a couple of weeks ago, I'm hearing a pronounced tapping noise at about a one-second period directly behind the gauges. (This has never happened since new.) It seems to occur only when the ambient temp is above 60-65 degrees. It'll be there when I start the car, and will persist for 5-10 minutes before going away on its own. It'll also restart at random times while driving and go away a few minutes later. I can't correlate it to any other activity such as the climate control system (i.e., cycling the system off and on has no effect).

Um stumped. Any ideas before I see the dealer?
Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be a solenoid valve in the air circulation system. Was under warranty so it was replaced by dealer.

Don
Old 04-28-07, 06:37 AM
fpmacko
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Don.

I suspected it was something like that. I'll pass your info on to my dealer in the hope that it'll help them diagnose it. Unfortunately, I'm now out of warranty. Any idea how much the repair would have cost you?

Frank
Old 04-28-07, 05:55 PM
drpack
Driver School Candidate

It read my repair order and I guess I was wrong about what the part was called. It was a Damper Servo. It was replaced in 07/06/06 and here is what the repair order says.

Cause: Damper Servo Excessive Clearance
Correction: Damper Servo Subassembly
Parts: LEX 87106-0E050 Servo Sub-Asy, Damp $126.72
Larbor: Tech .4 hours $38.10
Total $164.82
Old 04-28-07, 07:31 PM
fpmacko
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Don. That'll help a lot because if I give your info to my dealer it'll no doubt help them in narrowing down the failure. This isn't to say that your fix will be the same as mine, but it's bound to help them. Thanks for taking the time to dig up the info. BTW, that hourly rate is awful cheap. I guess that's all Lexus will pay the dealer. I think my dealer charges around $60/hr for labor.

Frank
Old 04-28-07, 07:33 PM
fpmacko
Driver School Candidate

oops. Sorry for the brainburp. I just realized you said 0.4 hours, not 4 hours; and 38.10 was the total labor charge rather than the hourly rate. So that rate is definitely typical Lexus.

Frank
Old 05-04-07, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you consider that it could be the speedometer cable? Do we still have those stuff in the cars? Tapping noise reminds me of that issue, usually happens in colder weather.
Old 07-21-13, 02:41 PM
hcorneli
Driver School Candidate

I have been having an occasional but increasingly frequent tapping or clicking sound coming from behind my glove box. What I have found through looking at parts diagrams is it that there seems to be multiple servos that control airflow through the heating and air conditioning system. Several posts indicate the sound is coming from behind the instrument panel and several indicate clicking sounds coming from behind the glove box. Since mine was coming from the glove box, I count myself lucky. The glove box is easily removed with just two screws and two bolts holding it in place. Behind the glove box I located the culprit behind an air duct that was held in place with just one bolt. I removed the bolt and the duct easily popped loose. I watched the servo and had my wife start the car. I could see it moving the dampers but it wasn't moving smoothly in kind of a twitching motion. The twitching motion was the ticking I had been hearing. I have included two photos of the unit. It looks easy enough to remove and replace. I am thinking about disassembling, cleaning and greasing it as some sites have suggested before ordering a new one. The cheapest price I have been able to find for a new one is around $125.00. The Denso part number stamped on the side of the unit does not match the Lexus part number which I believe is 87106-48160. If cleaning the inside of it and applying lube to the interior of the mechanism does not correct the problem, I know I can easily get to the part with just a flat blade screw driver (to remove the plate under the glove box, a phillips head screw driver and a 10mm nut driver or socket to remove the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails Tapping noise behind gauge cluster ('04-Rx330)-dscn0144.jpg   Tapping noise behind gauge cluster ('04-Rx330)-dscn0146.jpg  

Last edited by hcorneli; 07-22-13 at 06:56 AM. Reason: corrected wording
Old 07-21-13, 03:40 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus hcorneli. You have provided very good information and the photos are great. Please post back if your fix worked or if you needed to purchase a new part.
Old 07-21-13, 03:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hcorneli
I have been having an occasional but increasingly frequent tapping or clicking sound coming from behind my glove box. What I have found through looking at parts diagrams is it that there seems to be multiple servos that control airflow through the heating and air conditioning system. Several posts indicate the sound is coming from behind the instrument panel and several indicate clicking sounds coming from behind the glove box. Since mine was coming from the glove box, I count myself lucky. The glove box is easily removed with just two screws and two bolts holding it in place. Behind the glove box I located the culprit behind an air duct that was held in place with just one bolt. I removed the bolt and the duct easily popped loose. I watched the servo and had my wife start the car. I could see it moving the dampers but it wasn't moving smoothly in kind of a twitching motion. The twitching motion was the ticking I had been hearing. I have included two photos of the unit. It looks easy enough to remove and replace. I am thinking about disassembling, cleaning and greasing it as some sites have suggested before ordering a new one. The cheapest price I have been able to find for a new one is around $125.00. The Denso part number stamped on the side of the unit does not match the Lexus part number which I believe is 87106-0E050. If cleaning the inside of it and applying lube to the interior of the mechanism does not correct the problem, I know I can easily get to the part with just a flat blade screw driver (to remove the plate under the glove box, a phillips head screw driver and a 10mm nut driver or socket to remove the glove box.

Welcome to Club Lexus, hcorneli.

Yes, the AC servos are definitely a problem we have discussed here at CL in the past. A number of threads scattered throughout the forums. They can be cleaned and lubed to make some return to proper function, however, some do need to be replaced.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ch-advice.html

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4620.html