RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

NO TOUCH Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 11:39 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NO TOUCH Car Wash

Hey guys,

How many of you guys goto a NO TOUCH car wash? Yes the ones that use pressured water you wash the car.

When you guys go next time open the moon roof cover so you can see outside while you are in the car wash. MAKE SURE THE GLASS IS CLOSED! And then in the back of the moon roof (look at the picture ...the edge that is being pointed at) is there any water coming in when the pressurized water is rinsing the car from the top?

I am having that problem. After the car wash take a towel to suck up the water that is in the little tray.

I think the problem is that when the pressurized water goes over the car it pushed down the roof a little and that is when the water comes in a bit.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-07, 11:58 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Personally, I never go to toucless or the other car washes.

My babies get car washed every 2nd or third week. This is my quite time as well.

Why: These places recirculate water (although filtered). The other is the high pressure jets they use (specially the touchless kind)

Salim
Old 04-04-07, 12:00 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Personally, I never go to toucless or the other car washes.

My babies get car washed every 2nd or third week. This is my quite time as well.

Why: These places recirculate water (although filtered). The other is the high pressure jets they use (specially the touchless kind)

Salim
I feel its better because less chances of getting scratches on my car.
Old 04-04-07, 12:32 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
I feel its better because less chances of getting scratches on my car.
Swirl and scrub maarks would be less, but the pressure jets are worse and the unfiltered dirt is like a sandblast ... still not safe enough for me.

Salim
Old 04-05-07, 06:51 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have no issue with the roof on my RX330 and the high pressure wash.

The Laser Auto Washes here muct be a lot different than the ones in Texas. There is no unfiltered dirt being blasted against the paint around here. I suspect you too would use them in the winter months if you lived here. Today it is 20°F, there is a 25 mph wind blowing and it is snowing. I might be a wus but I don't hand-wash my cars in the winter months in Wisconsin.

I use the Laser Touchless wash and have for years with no issues with marring of the paint. They are clearly not as bad on the paint as the brush and rag washes and much better than just leaving the salt and dirt on the paint. The laser wash does not do as good a job as a hand wash but given the climate I live in, it is what I choose to use in the winter months.
Old 04-05-07, 06:54 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swirl and scrub maarks would be less, but the pressure jets are worse and the unfiltered dirt is like a sandblast ... still not safe enough for me.

Salim
As suggested, the touchless car washes that I have seen do use filtered water. But that water is filtered for both solid and suspended dirt. In fact, the water comes out clear. You can't drink it but it shouldn't contain anything that is harmful to your car. Oth, I hand wash all of my cars even in the deepest and coldest days of winter. I just do it in my garage with warm water.
Gary
Old 04-06-07, 12:59 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still use the touchless car washes.
Old 04-06-07, 04:43 AM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went once into high pressure washer (touchless). Look on top of your head you'll see water coming in from the pressure washer through the sun roof.
Old 04-06-07, 06:05 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Salim
I agree, I would rather have the car remain dirty than to go to a car wash. Hand wash only for me. I heat my garage up with a propane heater before I wash the car and I use warm water. I have lived in NY & CT since birth, I bought a house in TX a few months ago and hope to be completely out of NY within the next year

Last edited by silvervett; 04-06-07 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-07-07, 09:18 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by navilexus
I went once into high pressure washer (touchless). Look on top of your head you'll see water coming in from the pressure washer through the sun roof.
So you do see it also?

I am going to talk to my service rep about this...b/c it just should not be happening.. I will keep you posted.!

Thanks for trying it out!
Old 04-07-07, 10:14 AM
salimshah

Just keep in mind that only rigid joints are made water proof. Where ever two different mediums meet usually the things are just pressure fit and should not be considered water tight (specially when the water comes through pressure jets). Typically, there is a mechnism to drain the water that does penetrate through.

This is the case with side windows as well .. there is a drain channel. The moon roof has a tray to collect water and then a drain pipe. By the way this drain pipe gets clogged once in a while and has to be cleaned out.

Salim
Old 05-04-07, 07:35 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Makes sense on the moonroof, I have always wondered the water was going to get in there sometime...like leaving it open and it starts raining...hence there is a drain....yup!