RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 12:45 PM
aliboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter

Did anybody install a remote starter on their 2007 RX350? And if so can you use the same key fob and does it void your warranty?
Old 03-19-07, 01:17 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

We had one installed by the dealer. $600 and it comes with a seperate remote. . Both will lock and unlock the doors, but only the 2nd remote will start the car, and only the factory one will open the back door. Kinda sucks IMO.

For $200, I could have gone to Abt Electronics and had one installed that used the factory remote. Guess I learned my lesson.
Old 03-20-07, 07:25 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

I have the AstroStart installed in my 2005 RX Thundercloud and also had one in my previous Lexus, a 1998 GS300. Around here AstroStart is installed by Pacific Sound, OEM car dealers, most other electronics stores and even body shops. Mine has about a 2000 ft. range, has a small LCD screen that has feed back to show that the vehicle has actually received the signal and has started/running. You can also lock and unlock the doors but have to do a series of pushing a couple different buttons to open the read door. So for that I just use my regular key remote. Toyota/Lexus installation requires an additional relay switch but still with installation and two remotes (one is just a regular 4 button remote without the screen) it was $385. Everyone that I work with and most friends that I know that have remote starters all have AstroStart brands. Here in Jamestown all the OEM's dealers (Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota), several body shops, a couple electronics/audio shops only sell the AstroStart brand.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud
1998 GS300 Previous ride
Old 03-20-07, 10:46 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Do you realize that it is better for the engine for it to be slowly driven while you warm it up? The only benefit I can see to having a remote starter is if someone is trying to kill you and wires a bomb to the starter. All the new cars I have owned usually start blowing heat out of the ducts within a 1/2 mile.

Also the fact that you warmed up the engine still doesn't mean you can jump in and quickly drive it off. The engine may be warm but the car still needs to be driven slowly to give the transmission, wheel bearings and other drivetrain components to warm up.

Almost all experts and car manufactures recommend driving the car slowly to warm it up
Old 03-20-07, 11:12 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by silvervett
Do you realize that it is better for the engine for it to be slowly driven while you warm it up? The only benefit I can see to having a remote starter is if someone is trying to kill you and wires a bomb to the starter. All the new cars I have owned usually start blowing heat out of the ducts within a 1/2 mile.

Also the fact that you warmed up the engine still doesn't mean you can jump in and quickly drive it off. The engine may be warm but the car still needs to be driven slowly to give the transmission, wheel bearings and other drivetrain components to warm up.

Almost all experts and car manufactures recommend driving the car slowly to warm it up
I would second that.
Old 03-20-07, 11:35 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if live somewhere where it is extremely cold or hot having a remote starter could turn on the heater/ac before you get into the car. i had a remote start system in my old car most alarms make a bypas module thing so you can still use your factory key.
Old 03-20-07, 01:41 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
well if live somewhere where it is extremely cold or hot having a remote starter could turn on the heater/ac before you get into the car. i had a remote start system in my old car most alarms make a bypas module thing so you can still use your factory key.
It is your car and as long as you don't ask me to pay for your gas it is none of my business what you do with your car. If anyone wants to waste money warming up their car feel free to do so. I have learned a long time ago to mind my own business in matters that don't directly involve me. The only reason I brought up the fact that it is detrimental to the engine was because this forum is for people to learn things about their cars and to educate people that may not be aware of the fact that warming up an engine is harmful. I have been driving for a long time and had a lot of different cars and for some reason the newer cars that were made within the past 10 to 15 years seem to heat up very fast. But the older cars from the 1950's through the 70s and even 80's seem to take forever to warm up. I have left my 2003 Jeep grand Cherokee parked outside over night in single digit temps and the electric seat and heater had kicked in before I got to the end of the block. My 2007 RX400 has been in Texas all winter so I am not sure how quickly it heats up, but last January I drove the RX400 up to Dallas when the temperature was in the low 30s and I got almost instant heat. I provided some information feel free to follow or ignore it. I live in Long Island New York where the winter temperatures sometimes go into the single digits but almost never go below zero. In the summer it sometimes goes to over 100 but does hit the 90's on a regular basis. I also have a second house north of Houston TX but I haven't had it long enough to know about the tempetures.
Old 03-20-07, 11:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're right about the warming the car up properly thing. i was just saying that, one of the good things about remote start system is you can get the ac/or heater going before you get in.
Old 03-21-07, 07:22 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Single digit temps are not "Cold" to us in the northern tier of the US or Canada. When it is 20-30 degrees out I don't usually use the auto start for the most part. But when it is -20 to -35 degrees or at least below zero I do use it almost all the time. I would agree it is not the best for an engine to idle for too long, but also most auto starts are programed to shut off the vehicle after 15 mins. of running. You can even set them to 10 mins. Some can even be programed to start the vehicle every so many hours when the temp hits -10 or -20 (depending on what you set). As for my RX heating up quickly, it does for the most part, but then again that does depend on the outside temp. Last Sunday morning when leaving the church at 9:30 a.m. I did not use the auto start and just started up and drove. It took a mile of intown (25 mph) driving before the blowers came on at medium speed. The system is set on auto with the inside temp set to 75 deg. and the outside temp was 23 deg. at the time. When it is very cold out and you've warmed up the vehicle using the auto start you still just don't exactly jump in it and take off like its 80 degrees outside. It does take a few blocks for the vehicle to start moving smoother and easier. Heck, for several blocks you think you have 4 flat tires because at -10 or more below the tires "freeze" flat and it takes a few blocks for them to warm up enough or rotate enough to run "round". I've talked to many mechanics including Lexus techs that say there is nothing wrong with using auto starts in very cold weather as long as you don't run for long periods of time (more than 15 mins.).

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4s.
1998 GS300 Previous Lexus

Last edited by DakotaRX; 03-21-07 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-21-07, 02:04 PM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the original question...

Although I can't provide details about a 2007 RX, I did have the dealer install a remote starter on my 2005. I paid a premium for the dealer to install it (or rather contract with a third party to install it) so that in the event anything goes wrong, I only have one place to deal with. I upgraded to a model that allows me to dial an 800# to start the car. Very handy when returning to the airport in the middle of a Chicago winter. Also handy for Chicago summers.
The RX is my third vehicle with a remote starter.
Old 03-21-07, 03:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Remote start for me is opposite what most people use it for. I don't use it to warm up the car interior, but to cool it down. (Garnted, my last remote start was in a previous vehicle). Sometimes it takes a 5 minutes for the interior to cool down in the hot sun with the AC going at full blast. I used to use the remote start to cool the car down when I was a couple of minutes from leaving. By the time I get into the car I have a cool, or at least much cooler car than getting into a 110 degree oven We use the AC practically 24/7 where I live. Nearly everyone here has tint and AC blowing all day
Old 03-22-07, 01:50 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaRX
Single digit temps are not "Cold" to us in the northern tier of the US or Canada. When it is 20-30 degrees out I don't usually use the auto start for the most part. But when it is -20 to -35 degrees or at least below zero I do use it almost all the time. I would agree it is not the best for an engine to idle for too long, but also most auto starts are programed to shut off the vehicle after 15 mins. of running. You can even set them to 10 mins. Some can even be programed to start the vehicle every so many hours when the temp hits -10 or -20 (depending on what you set). As for my RX heating up quickly, it does for the most part, but then again that does depend on the outside temp. Last Sunday morning when leaving the church at 9:30 a.m. I did not use the auto start and just started up and drove. It took a mile of intown (25 mph) driving before the blowers came on at medium speed. The system is set on auto with the inside temp set to 75 deg. and the outside temp was 23 deg. at the time. When it is very cold out and you've warmed up the vehicle using the auto start you still just don't exactly jump in it and take off like its 80 degrees outside. It does take a few blocks for the vehicle to start moving smoother and easier. Heck, for several blocks you think you have 4 flat tires because at -10 or more below the tires "freeze" flat and it takes a few blocks for them to warm up enough or rotate enough to run "round". I've talked to many mechanics including Lexus techs that say there is nothing wrong with using auto starts in very cold weather as long as you don't run for long periods of time (more than 15 mins.).

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4s.
1998 GS300 Previous Lexus

Right on 20 degrees is summer to us Alaska folk! Come check it our when its -20-30 outside and jump in the car-Brrrr The Autostart is a lifesaver to get things running and a little warmer when you hop in!

My autostart is the Compustart model with the LCD screen etc.... and it has 4 buttons on the top
1-lock/unlock
2-start car
3-opens my hatchback
4-checks my inside temp and Battery level (both car and batt in autostart)
Old 03-22-07, 01:59 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Right on 20 degrees is summer to us Alaska folk! Come check it our when its -20-30 outside and jump in the car-Brrrr The Autostart is a lifesaver to get things running and a little warmer when you hop in!

My autostart is the Compustart model with the LCD screen etc.... and it has 4 buttons on the top
1-lock/unlock
2-start car
3-opens my hatchback
4-checks my inside temp and Battery level (both car and batt in autostart)

Where did you get your remote starter? What brand? Any specs you can give. a URL would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 03-22-07, 02:07 PM
jednav
Driver

Another option I'm thinking is hiring a driver to all that, but then again I will not enjoy driving my RX !
Old 03-22-07, 02:13 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go! Its the: Compustar Pro P2W9000FMR

http://www.compustar.org/

Quick Reply: Remote Starter