RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

UPDATE: 07 RX 350 Surges / "Push" When Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 10:50 AM
jednav
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: 07 RX 350 Surges / "Push" When Braking

Just got back from the dealership. Basically, they say it is the nature of beast. So, either you live with it or push it off the cliff.

I rode with the techie when he test drove the RX. He felt all the things I took issue of, and I gave him the TSB number from the other thread.

He looked it up and he said it was just some programming notes that doesn't apply to my RX, and for sure not the "FIX" I was hoping for.

As a consolation, he further said the LEXUS is good in recognizing customers concern and may come up with a solution to issues raised. He pointed out some issues on other models that was taken cared of.

Also, he assured me that these vehicles were engineered this way viz-a-vis a bunch of factors, with gas consumption as one of them. However, not all customers are happy with its drivablity conditions.

The techie also encourages everyone to raise this issue/s on their next visit to the dealership. In other words, make a lot of noise to be recognized.

Last edited by jednav; 03-14-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 01:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am taking my 2005 rx330in tomorrow for that same surging. I already know that there isnt much they can do in terms of fixing the issue. My mechanic (independent) owns a rx330 also and has borught his car into the dealer two times alreayd to fix the surging problem. He said that each time they could not fix the problem. The more people that complain to lexus, the greater chance that lexus will do some serious work to fix it. My mechanic thinks its a computer programming problem, that the dealers do not have the capabilities to fix. He said the only good reason to complain to lexus and to bring your car in is so that way in case you have problems down the road you have some leverage. He thinks that the problem is causing the car to hold down or let the clutch go to soon, which in turn might make the clutch burn out prematurely, maybe outisde the warranty period. if you bring it in and complain to them, if the clutch or another component related to the problem bruns out outside the warranty coverage, you can ask them to fix it free of charge, due to the fact that youve already brought it in for the same problem. any questions send me a message. if i find out anything new tomorow ill post it.
Old 03-15-07, 07:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

Don't mean to be daft, but automatic trasmissions (with the exception of SMG/DSG trannies) don't have clutches.....
Old 03-15-07, 07:38 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
Don't mean to be daft, but automatic trasmissions (with the exception of SMG/DSG trannies) don't have clutches.....
And your point is ......
Old 03-15-07, 08:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jednav
And your point is ......
I was referring to this:

Originally Posted by AM1
He thinks that the problem is causing the car to hold down or let the clutch go to soon, which in turn might make the clutch burn out prematurely, maybe outisde the warranty period. if you bring it in and complain to them, if the clutch or another component related to the problem bruns out outside the warranty coverage, you can ask them to fix it free of charge, due to the fact that youve already brought it in for the same problem.
Just pointing out that a clutch failure in an RX is kinda like a radiator leak in a '68 beetle.

Last edited by geko29; 03-15-07 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 08:32 AM
jednav
Driver

The techie at the dealership was also explaining to me about the characteristics of the tranny, and its downshifting release that causes the surge.

Honestly, I didn't pay must attention because I not buying it.

To me the warranty coverage is immaterial. I am more concerned of the safety in stopping the vehicle.

I simply cannot imagine driving in wintery conditions.

I've been driving my Jeep GC this winter. Also, my MBenz which I thought was troublesome is also looking good.
Old 03-15-07, 11:05 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2007 RX350 - can you describe this "surge/push" when braking?
Old 03-15-07, 11:21 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
I have a 2007 RX350 - can you describe this "surge/push" when braking?
Accelerate your vehicle say to 75mph. Let go of the gas pedal. Vehicle will naturally slow down, but as it downshifts to 2nd or 1st gear (not sure), the RX will move forward or surge or push by itself as it further slows down. Remember your foot is off the gas pedal.
Old 03-15-07, 01:47 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by jednav
as it downshifts to 2nd or 1st gear (not sure), the RX will move forward or surge or push by itself .
At approx what speed the "surge" occurs?
Old 03-15-07, 02:10 PM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by steiner
At approx what speed the "surge" occurs?
In my case it occurs in between 60km-40kms.
Old 03-15-07, 06:18 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

mine happens at low and high speed, especially when i accelerate from a stop. anyways i dropped the car off today, they still dont know whats wrong with it...big surprise right? Theyre going to run some more tests tomorrow... anyways about the whole clutch thing, i was thinking about something else. if anyone else has this problem i suggest you take it and have them check it out
Old 03-16-07, 11:33 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

got the car back today, and the car still surges now instead of it doing at low or high speeds, it seems to only do it at low speeds....still annoying though
Old 03-20-07, 08:17 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
got the car back today, and the car still surges now instead of it doing at low or high speeds, it seems to only do it at low speeds....still annoying though
Could you describe the surges at high and low speed. Is your foot on the gas pedal?
Old 03-20-07, 11:32 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

try doing this......when you are at a stop light accelerate when it turns green not too hard......when the speed is getting higher, suppose you need to slow down.....let go of the gas pedal and instead of the car just slowly decelerating like it should the car will abruptly let the power go....kind of like a rubber band snapping.
Old 03-20-07, 03:01 PM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
try doing this......when you are at a stop light accelerate when it turns green not too hard......when the speed is getting higher, suppose you need to slow down.....let go of the gas pedal and instead of the car just slowly decelerating like it should the car will abruptly let the power go....kind of like a rubber band snapping.
mine is only doing the latter, which is more critical since you're trying to stop the vehicle.

i remember my 01 honda accord vtec was doing that too. could it be the new generation of 5 speed tranny?

Quick Reply: UPDATE: 07 RX 350 Surges / "Push" When Breaking