RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Did I make the right choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 05:53 PM
anem8or
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Did I make the right choice?

New member here in Arizona. Sorry if this is too wordy. But was this a good deal?

This is what I wanted: 2008 RX350 FWD. Nav system w/ premium plus package, XM radio and after market headrest mounted DVD (the DVD center console that comes with the RX when opened blocks the rear view mirror and I don’t think that is safe). Breakwater blue w/ grey leather and black bird’s eye maple. My second exterior choice is either silver or flint mica.
Also have a trade-in to negotiate with after we agree on price. A Toyota 2004 RAV4 limited w/ 22k miles and good condition. I thought buying the 2008 model in 2007 gives me a heads up on trading in, in the future.

I walked into Scottsdale, Arizona (Elite of Lexus) dealership. The dealer quoted me for Nav w/ premium plus $48802 including tax, lic and doc fees. (the MSRP 44246). Not included is XM or DVD. AND would have to wait for the color I wanted.

I went to AAA (Arizona Auto Assoc.) who has a car buying service for members. You tell them what you want and they try to find it along with trade-ins and extended warranties. They found a silver w/ grey leather, black birds eye, XM and headrest mounted DVD for $44839 plus trade-in at $13600.

Also tried internet with 3 local dealers (Bell, Superstition and Scottsdale). Best quote was for $44146 and trade-in between $12000-13000 as they have to see RAV4 first. And again would have to wait for the breakwater blue or flint mica.

They were all pretty close but I went with AAA. I get my car on Monday. It is coming from Tucson on a flat bed not driven. All I do is literally write a check for $34500 (44839 minus trade-in plus tax and title). AAA will spend time showing me everything about the SUV as a dealer would.

What I completely forgot to mention to all the above was the Mark Levinson audio package because I was thinking about the XM radio. So I just get the Lexus audio.

Would appreciate any input.
Old 03-10-07, 02:22 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On paper it looks like you made the right choice. As for the ML in the RX, I wouldn't worry about it. The ML in the RX is not significantly better than the standard RX audio system. It wouldn't have been worth the extra cost for me. The ML in the IS/GS/LS though is a different story and worth it IMHO.
Old 03-11-07, 11:17 AM
anem8or
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the input.

KenBT: I needed the new RX asap as we are taking a long trip across country next week and my RAV4 just won't do it. And the more I think of it I think the silver outside with grey inside will look really nice. I did hold back on info regarding my trade-in. I wanted a good offer before telling them about my RAV4. And if the offer on the RAV4 was terrible I was willing to hold onto it and sell it myself. But AAA is making it so easy for me. I just drive it to the office when my RX comes in Monday. Door dings and all. Don't even need to have it detailed.

CKySpeed: your right about the extra cost for the ML. Originally I thought 11 speakers would be WOW. But 8 speakers is more than any other suv I have had in the past. and I've read on others posts that the premium audio is really good.

again thanks for your input.
Old 03-11-07, 11:21 AM
anem8or
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the input.

KenBT: I needed the new RX asap as we are taking a long trip across country next week and my RAV4 just won't do it. And the more I think of it I think the silver outside with grey inside will look really nice. I did hold back on info regarding my trade-in. I wanted a good offer before telling them about my RAV4. And if the offer on the RAV4 was terrible I was willing to hold onto it and sell it myself. But AAA is making it so easy for me. I just drive it to the office when my RX comes in Monday. Door dings and all. Don't even need to have it detailed. And really the process of selling it myself just didn't seem worth the long effort

CKySpeed: your right about the extra cost for the ML. Originally I thought 11 speakers would be WOW. But 8 speakers is more than any other suv I have had in the past. and I've read on others posts that the premium audio is really good.

again thanks for your input.
Old 03-19-07, 11:32 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I would not buy a XM radio at this time, Both XM am Sirius are in trouble and about to go under. They are trying to merge but they need the government to approve the merger. There are a lot of unanswered questions as to what will happen if they do merge. What will the pricing be like and what will the new station line up be. If they aren't allowed to merge will they go under and will you wind up with a useless radio. Even if they do merge they still may go under both companies are losing millions of dollars. I had Sirius and like it a lot but go rid of it because the radios were junk. After replacing over a 1/2 dozen radios that wouldn't work I gave up. I kept on loosing the signal every time I went under a tree but I have heard that the XM signal is stronger than the Sirius signal
Old 03-20-07, 08:02 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anem8or
And the more I think of it I think the silver outside with grey inside will look really nice.
Protect those floor mats as they tend to get dirty very quickly. I wish the grey was a little darker to make the carpet maintenance a little easier.