RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330

Old 05-23-08, 12:23 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
The owner's manual has a section about replacing the battery and how the ability to control the windows from the driver's side will need to be re-programmed.

Essentially, go to each window
- open / switch down, hold for 1001,1002,1003 after open
- close / switch up, hold for 1001,1002,1003, after closed
go to next window.

If in doubt, check the manual, it gives additional info.
cool, thanks. You guys got me all worked up - I started being scared that the thing won't start up if need to change the battery
Old 05-23-08, 01:02 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Australia, Lexus uses Panasonic batteries from Japan. Replacement cost is off the planet over here.

As mentioned by other Members, try an Optima Red Top/Yellow Top. I have one in my Porsche and they are amazing. A $75 battery will be lucky to last but an Optima should last 3-4 years.

Alternatively, try a Federal Battery. They also have serious CCA for NorthAm winters.
Old 05-23-08, 02:37 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
In Australia, Lexus uses Panasonic batteries from Japan. Replacement cost is off the planet over here.

As mentioned by other Members, try an Optima Red Top/Yellow Top. I have one in my Porsche and they are amazing. A $75 battery will be lucky to last but an Optima should last 3-4 years.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any real-world experience or know of any tests to prove the Napa battery "will be lucky to last".

I will admit, I was swayed by Consumer Reports testing, where they stated, "The NAPA is the only battery in this group to score excellent in life."

I agree the Optima is an excellent battery, but I have yet to have experience a Napa battery fail in our previous cars (Trooper, Camry or ES300). The warranty on the Napa is 24/84 and the Optima is 36/72.

I will probably end up replacing it at the 4 year mark (as I did with the OEM Panasonic) anyway, so for my use, I don't see the extra expense of the Optima being worth it financially. As usual, YMMV.
Old 05-23-08, 07:01 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Any battery that lasts more than 2 years is pretty good. For a while the French-made AC Delco batteries were the shizzle but we can't get them over here anymore. Optima are outstanding batteries although they cost more.

We use Optima in Emergency Vehicles over here as they have to start first time, every time.
Old 05-23-08, 08:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

For kicks I thought I would take a quick look at the OEM battery in my nearly 5 year old RX. Bright blue indicator light still shines strong. Car starts without issue. No electrical gremlins to note.

All this after being in the FL heat year after year.

No knocking the OEM battery here. Has done me right.
Old 05-24-08, 02:25 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
For kicks I thought I would take a quick look at the OEM battery in my nearly 5 year old RX. Bright blue indicator light still shines strong. Car starts without issue. No electrical gremlins to note.

All this after being in the FL heat year after year.

No knocking the OEM battery here. Has done me right.
The OEM batteries (Panasonic) are absolutely fantastic. The battery in my IS lasted for over 4 years and I could have easily gotten another year out of it however I have this thing about "preventative maintenance".

Here in OZ I was quoted US$720 for a new Panasonic (Lexus Australia hadn't sold one at the time I asked - ever!) so I went with a Federal.

Had a French-made AC Delco in my Porsche for 3 years and a cheap POS after that for 2 years before switching to an Optima Yellow Top. 750CCA's and serious vibration resistance!
Old 05-25-08, 11:21 PM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nept_Mica
Has anyone replaced the factory issued OEM battery in their RX330? I have a few questions...

1) If the battery was replaced by your Lexus dealer, what replacement battery (manufacturer) was installed? CCA?
2) What symptons (if any) were present that led to the battery replacement?
3) What needs to be reset after a battery replacement? Do the personalized settings need to be reinitalized?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Wow I had forgotten about this post and wanted to post my follow-up experience.

I puchased an Interstate MT34 battery and installed it myself. However the battery did not fit right, it was too short. There was a once inch gap between the battery and tie down clamp.

On an interesting note after installing the battery...
the radio presets were not erased
memory seating position and mirrors were retained for the last person who drove the RX
the one touch features for the windows and moonroof needed to be reset

Back to the Lexus dealer I went. They installed an Interstate battery manufactured for Lexus. Total cost for the battery with installation was $110.
Old 05-26-08, 05:01 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I puchased an Interstate MT34 battery and installed it myself. However the battery did not fit right, it was too short. There was a once inch gap between the battery and tie down clamp...

Back to the Lexus dealer I went. They installed an Interstate battery manufactured for Lexus. Total cost for the battery with installation was $110.
When you bought your battery, did you give the seller the right size? As I am sure you know, batteries are sized for just this reason. I am hoping that this was just an omission on your part and also hoping that Lexus didn't contract for an odd size.
Gary
Old 05-26-08, 02:16 PM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
When you bought your battery, did you give the seller the right size? As I am sure you know, batteries are sized for just this reason. I am hoping that this was just an omission on your part and also hoping that Lexus didn't contract for an odd size.
Gary
The Interstate MT-34 is specified for the Lexus RX330.
Old 05-26-08, 04:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The Interstate MT-34 is specified for the Lexus RX330.
I see where Lexmex used a Optima red top 34/78 -- same size as a stock Optima 34. Wonder about the dimension difference to the Interstate.

Here is the Optima dimensions:
Case Size Category: Medium
10 x 6.8 x 7.8"
Height includes 1" terminals

Here are the dimensions for a Sears 34/78DT Platinum:
Height: 7-4/5 in.
Width: 7-1/10 in.
Length: 10-9/10 in.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 05-26-08 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-26-08, 09:55 PM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I see where Lexmex used a Optima red top 34/78 -- same size as a stock Optima 34. Wonder about the dimension difference to the Interstate.

Here is the Optima dimensions:
Case Size Category: Medium
10 x 6.8 x 7.8"
Height includes 1" terminals

Here are the dimensions for a Sears 34/78DT Platinum:
Height: 7-4/5 in.
Width: 7-1/10 in.
Length: 10-9/10 in.
Specifications for the Interstate MT-34R
875CA
700CCA
Length:10.25"
Width: 6.88"
Height: 7.75"

Does anyone recall the dimensions of the OEM Panasonic battery?
Old 05-30-08, 08:45 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Curious to know if lots more people in the eastern part of the continent change their batteries every 3-4 years as mentioned. Before the 04 RX330, I never replaced the battery on my 98 Sienna. I had the van until trading it for the RX last year. Personally, I don't like batteries, like in RX, that you can't open and refill the distilled water.
Old 05-30-08, 10:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Personally, I don't like batteries, like in RX, that you can't open and refill the distilled water.
Not sure what battery you have in yours, however, my OEM does allow for self maintenance though I have personally never added distilled water to mine yet. Perhaps the dealer did during one of my initial services, but I do all the servicing now within reason.
Old 05-31-08, 10:57 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Specifications for the Interstate MT-34R
875CA
700CCA
Length:10.25"
Width: 6.88"
Height: 7.75"

Does anyone recall the dimensions of the OEM Panasonic battery?
as long as you get a battery that fits in the tray you dont need the protective sleeve around it. i got a bigger battery with more cranking power in my last car and just got rid of the sleeve.
Old 06-02-08, 04:56 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Curious to know if lots more people in the eastern part of the continent change their batteries every 3-4 years as mentioned. Before the 04 RX330, I never replaced the battery on my 98 Sienna. I had the van until trading it for the RX last year. Personally, I don't like batteries, like in RX, that you can't open and refill the distilled water.
I never change out batteries until they start to show signs of impending failure - long crank times, failure to start, or battery lights, etc. My 05 still has its original battery and has given no signs. My 14 year old Acura averages a new battery every 5-6 years.

Gary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330