RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Any leaked details of the new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 01:06 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Any leaked details of the new RX?

Lots of rumors floating about, but I've heard nothing concrete about the RX 330/350 replacement due out likely at the end of this year or beginning of next. One rumor has it that it will resemble the LF-X Concept car. Here's hoping that those in the know can enlighten us a little with some details. It would sure be nice to know what the powertrain will be, and something about equipment levels.
Old 01-25-07, 08:20 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be pretty surprised if it doesn't continue to use the 3.5L V6 close to as-is right now. I'd expect a small boost in power, though - nothing over 300hp... 6-speed auto at a minimum. Not really sure what else. I haven't heard any rumors - just going on what's kinda obvious.

I hope they get some of the quality control issues under control from the ES350 since it shares its platform with it... then again the current RX wasn't always so great quality-wise either... quite a few interior rattles on the ones I drove and my service advisor told me he gets as many rattle complaints for the RX as he does all of their other cars combined. I hope that's not the case for the all new RX, but I guess if they messed up the ES, they could mess up the RX, too.

I hope they don't go to the 7-seater crap like the MDX did and the Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia ended up doing too... I don't WANT a third row of seats... that means extra weight, less room (if it's left in), design compromises, and one way or another, I paid for that third row of seats, even if I had absolutely no desire for it.

The GX, as is, already won't let you buy one without third row seats unless you get it 100% option-less, and even that requires a special order, usually. (at least that's how it is in my region)
Old 01-25-07, 09:29 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor has it they will offer a 3rd seat and go more of a sporty route ... edmunds.com has some artists renderings. There's debate on whether they will offer two lengths (one w/o 3rd row) as well.
Old 01-25-07, 09:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lexus from the start is very very secretive about their cars for the future. i "heard" that it would off a 3rd row seat as an option as well, and that there will be two engines, one that is a V8...possibly. I imagine it to look sleeker, and have that l-finesse style to it.

p.s. my RX330 2004, which means first edition, doesnt have that many rattles. i can only think of 2, that just started happening.
Old 01-26-07, 01:15 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Rx

I am hoping to see some new stylings of the RX. A third row seat would be nice as long as it is bigger than 07 X5. I would also like to see the RX grow wider and a bit longer. The V-8 would be nice. At the dealer the fully loaded 4.8 V-8 X5 with sport package was just short of 64K. I could go for the RX if it is just short of 55K with a V-8 and navigation and other subtle tidbits. I don't like the GX too much the ride is stiffer and it is too square. But I do like the overall size of the X-5 and with the MDX trying to be nearly the same size, it would be fitting to see the RX reach their dimensions. And the ability to put a nice clean set of 20's on it with out the small tires. 19's I think look best on the current platform, but it is understandable that for the RX to be have the great smooth yet still sporty ride the struts need to be where they are now, but it does suffer when it comes to wanting to customize it. I didn't like that with my Rx300 and don't like it with the my 330. Anyway that is my ramblings about what I have heard about the upcoming redesign and what I would like to see.
Old 01-26-07, 07:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a neighbor with an X5 4.8 and that power is very intimidating...have driven it several times.

I have always been of the opinion that Lexus needs to boost the hp up to Cayenne/X5/ML/FX ranges, in fact go over all of them.

Now it does not need to do this across the RX model range, but to have a high-powered specialty vehicle. Lexus/Toyota certainly have the financial power to do so, while at same time offering lower hp version of their vehicles. In fact, this is what was done in Asia when the RX300 first came out, offering different engine variations.

I would also like to see them return to the rounded back on my RX300 (never could get used to seeing that bug-eyed X5-style rear end), though I do like the front of the newer RXs, very nice.

The problem is that ever since the MDX entered the market, Lexus has been using that for comparison, which is nice but other vehicles also have superior features, especially in power as I have mentioned previously, even if others do lack in quality.
Old 01-26-07, 07:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RX doesn't compete with the X5... it competes with the X3.

If Lexus makes a GS-based SUV it would then compete with the X5. They could, alternatively, stretch the RX, give it an optional V8, and beef up the chassis, but I think that's really pushing the Camry platform too far. It's already (IMO) showing a bit of weakness in the RX.