RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dealer Messed Up The Dash on XM Install!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 10:21 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer Messed Up The Dash on XM Install!

We gave our new 2007 RX 350 to the dealer to get the factory XM Radio installed. When my wife picked it up from the dealer, there were dents in the panel on the sides of the radio! It's not a big dent but it's definitely noticeable in the daylight. She took it back to the dealer. The dealer says they will replace the panel that was damaged.

This just makes me so mad. I don't know who to trust anymore in terms of a good mechanic. You would think that Lexus has decent mechanics and they've installed hundreds of these XM radios! Who knows what kind of job the mechcanic did in the install. To make things worse, they gave the car back to us in an unsatisfactory condition. This just makes me angry and now I don't know what to expect when they replace this panel. Will they mess something else up? Who knows.

Anyways I just wanted to let you all know to look out when you get work done at the dealer. The only thing I can say that is positive is that if this had been a non-Lexus installer the situation would have probably been worse...but then again maybe they could have done a better job than the dealer.

Kan-O-Z
Old 01-12-07, 11:14 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Accidents and bad things can happen when ever one tries to do anything. This applies to competant mechanics as well. Probability of damage is more when you have incompetent or inexeprienced mechanics. The real question is, what will the shop do to correct the problem. [My experience has been, who ever charges more usually is willing to do more to fix an issue].

If things are broken, then no one can hide and the shop fesses up real quick.
If it becomes an "acceptability" issue, then the owner needs to drive it.

You should feel happy that the dealership will take steps to fix it. You still have the option to live with it.

There is always a possibility that the solution may not be to your satisfaction or some thing else might be damaged or broken. That would once again put you back to square one.

Salim
Old 01-12-07, 12:17 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Accidents and bad things can happen when ever one tries to do anything. This applies to competant mechanics as well. Probability of damage is more when you have incompetent or inexeprienced mechanics. The real question is, what will the shop do to correct the problem. [My experience has been, who ever charges more usually is willing to do more to fix an issue].

If things are broken, then no one can hide and the shop fesses up real quick.
If it becomes an "acceptability" issue, then the owner needs to drive it.

You should feel happy that the dealership will take steps to fix it. You still have the option to live with it.

There is always a possibility that the solution may not be to your satisfaction or some thing else might be damaged or broken. That would once again put you back to square one.

Salim
Yeah I know it's good that they are willing to fix it and I do realize mistakes happen by the best people as well. It's just an emotional thing since it's a brand new car and all. You just don't like to see the dash get dented up by the dealer.

Kan-O-Z
Old 01-12-07, 04:57 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

That is bad news. I've just been waiting because we want XM installed, but still contemplating whether to have the dealer perform the job or get a third party to install the Vaistech.
Old 01-12-07, 05:39 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I understand your frustration with damage to your new car, they are going to make it right. I wonder what would happen if an aftermarket installer had done the damge?
Old 01-12-07, 08:33 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
While I understand your frustration with damage to your new car, they are going to make it right. I wonder what would happen if an aftermarket installer had done the damge?
That is why I am glad I did go to a Lexus dealer. I suppose the probablility is even higher that an aftermarket installer would mess it up as compared to a dealer. I know the guy that did my install has done lots of RXs which an aftermarket guy would not. I guess maybe the panels were extra tight in ours and it looked like he had to pry. He did do a good job with the rest of the car as I understand it is a difficult install running the wire and removing all sorts of panels. The rest of the car looks untouched.

I just hope they can install the new panel without other issues.

P.S. By the way, my dealer offers the installation of the VIASTech SLI Ipod Adapter as well.

Kan-O-Z
Old 01-15-07, 08:34 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

The dealer finally fixed the dash. It's perfect now, the car is back to looking brand new and I am happy The manager was apologetic and he made sure that it was done correctly this time. It really was worth it having the dealer install the XM. I don't know how an aftermarket place would have dealt with the situation...probably not like the Lexus dealer. Just for that reason alone, I would recommend using the Lexus dealer to do an installation of this sort. It may be $100 more to go to Lexus but well worth it. I am pretty sure that I am the exception here having a problem with the installation. I bet most people have problem free installations at the Lexus dealer. Just my advice about XM installations

Kan-O-Z