RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Screen Protector for Nav (clear plastic film)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 12:57 PM
khoaly000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Screen Protector for Nav (clear plastic film)

Dear Lexus Owners,

I have RX350 and I would like cover my Nav a screen protector. So, I would like to ask you guys for suggestions and where to buy it. If it is online please give me the link.
Should I use screen protector for Nav ?
and which one is a good one ?
I would love to hear any suggestions from all of you.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 01-08-07, 08:05 PM
cheap_deal
Driver

i am certain i have seen screen protectors for the rx330 on ebay. should be the same for the rx350 too.
Old 01-09-07, 06:39 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Also search the stores that sell "screen protectors" for the iPod. They also make larger sheets of this material for large screen PDAs and touch screens like those in a car.

If you find one that fits, let us know how it works and if it decreases the sharpness of the screen image.
Old 01-09-07, 07:54 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the best stuff out for screen protectors. Not sure what's available for Automotive GPS.

http://www.shieldzone.com/

Steve
Old 01-17-07, 11:01 AM
pikal
Driver School Candidate

I ordered this from amazon.com
"2007 Lexus RX350 TrueVue Anti-Glare Navigation Screen Protector"
Not sure if it's good, but the packagae looks great. I'll let you know once I get it.
Old 01-17-07, 02:23 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've thought about one for the past two years but after wiping the screen with a damp microfiber towel my screen looks like new again. I don't see a need. Two years and no wear, or scratches and I use it a lot.
Old 01-19-07, 09:53 PM
jerrsRX350
Rookie

I have had 6 cars with nav systems and never used a screen protector. I used one of them for over 3 years without any problems. I purchased a screen protector for myRX350 (name?) but it didn't fit properly so I threw it out. While not recommended by the car manufacturers, I have always used paper towels dampened with all -purpose Windex to clean my nav screens without any problems! If you are going to keep your RX for more than three years it's probably a good idea to get one.
Old 01-20-07, 08:08 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

If you are using Windex and paper towels, you are damaging the screen.

The ammonia in Windex is harmful to the coating on the touch-screen, and the paper towels are very, very abrasive. You are using a solvent and sanding away the coating. Eventually the screen will start to be less sensitive to touches and you will become very frustrated as you try to operate it.

Never use any cleaner with ammonia (those without ammonia are available and are harmless to the screen -- often they say on the label that they are safe for tinted windows), and never use paper towels. (Try this: close you eyes and rub a paper towel on the outside of your eyelid -- it feels like sand paper.) Nothing good can come from using both Windex and paper towels. The fact that you see no difference just means that you haven't yet sanded away all of the coating, but you are on the way.

Get a microfiber towel and some safe cleaner and save the screen.
Old 01-20-07, 08:43 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I agree with the Microfiber opinion. I always keep on handy in my vehicles and I change them regularly. As long as you're careful with the screen and don't let foreign objects touch it, I think the MF towels are a good solution.

You have to keep in mind that screen protectors often introduce either haze, reflections, or both. I have had PDA's for years and I always have a screen protector on them. However, the compromise is the haze/reflections introduced.
Old 01-20-07, 09:06 PM
jerrsRX350
Rookie

"If you are using Windex and paper towels, you are damaging the screen."

You may be surprized to learn that all purpose Windex does not contain ammonia. Also, all paper towels are not the same ...... some are much softer especially wet ones. All I can report on is my experience which indicates that using a "soft" paper towel aprayed with all purpose Windex does not damage my nav screens or the screens on my 5 LCD Monitor/TV's. I have had one LCD TV for 5 years and it's screen is like new.
Old 01-21-07, 06:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrsRX350
"If you are using Windex and paper towels, you are damaging the screen."

You may be surprized to learn that all purpose Windex does not contain ammonia. Also, all paper towels are not the same ...... some are much softer especially wet ones. All I can report on is my experience which indicates that using a "soft" paper towel aprayed with all purpose Windex does not damage my nav screens or the screens on my 5 LCD Monitor/TV's. I have had one LCD TV for 5 years and it's screen is like new.
I wear glasses. I have anti-reflective coatings on the glasses as well as anti-scratch coatings. Over a period of only two years I've worn off the coatings in spots by using a soft paper towel (white Kleenex), wet with an eyeglass specific cleaner made for coated lenses. Don't kid yourself, paper towels will damage your screen. You probably think that your LCD screen is made of glass. It is not. It is plastic. Plastic is softer than glass and much more prone to damage from improper chemical use, especially alcohol.

Be careful in your choice of Windex product.

Here is a quote from the Windex web site.

What ingredients are in Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners?
Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D®, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface.
Here is a FAQ from Kleer Screen. The Klear Screen Formula is Used, Sold, or Recommended by Apple™, Dell™, Fujitsu™, HP™, Mitsubishi™, Panasonic™, Samsung™, ViewSonic™, and Stewart Filmscreen™. Also Recommended in the New York Times™, The Wall Street Journal™, HDTV & DVD Etc Magazines™, MacWorld Magazine™, and more. NASA likes this stuff too as it is used on the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station.

Q. Why shouldn’t I use a Glass Cleaner to clean a LCD?
A. Glass cleaner is made with alcohol and ammonia, which will damage any LCD screen. LCD display screens are made of plastic. Plastics and Computer manufacturers consistently do not recommend alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners. Repeated applications of alcohol on plastic may turn your screen surface yellow, make it brittle, and can cause stress cracking on your screen surface. Do not make a very expensive mistake cleaning your laptop LCD screen with a $2 glass cleaner and a paper towel!
Hey, use what you want, it's your car, but don't come here advising us that Windex and paper towels are safe to use on LCD screens as they are clearly not.
Old 01-21-07, 08:33 PM
jerrsRX350
Rookie

"Hey, use what you want, it's your car, but don't come here advising us that Windex and paper towels are safe to use on LCD screens as they are clearly not."

I didn't think I was advising people to use Windex/paper towels to clean LCD screens. I am well aware of what is recommended. I was just reporting what happens when I did not follow the manufacturer's instructions. I don't think LCD screens are glass. I'm a chemist and have extensive experience with polymers. The Windex I use is clearly marked as ammonia free. Yes, alcohols can damage some plastics but it is a function of time, temperatue and concentration. If asked, I would tell others what I do but point out that LCD manufacturers clearly warn customers not to use glass cleaners such as Windex or paper towels. Hope we can find other topics to discuss!
Old 01-30-07, 03:01 PM
pikal
Driver School Candidate

Update:
TrueVue Anti-Glare Navigation Screen Protector fits perfectly... make sure you get the correct model, 2007 RX 350. the bad thing is it's abit expensive. Wipe the nav with a wet towel and let it dry, or blow it with a air-bottle to get the dust out.