RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Garage Door program

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 05:08 PM
becca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door program

I cant get my garage door to program with my RX350 any suggestions?
Old 12-08-06, 05:59 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

You have to find out if it's a frequency hopping or rolling code garage door opener. You can check this by trying to initially programming HomeLink. This is done by holding down one of the buttons in addition to holding down your garage opener button until HomeLink begins blinking rapidly. Be sure to do this with your controller around 3 inches from the HomeLink. To test, hold the button you just programmed down. If it blinks rapidly for two seconds or so, then you know you have a rolling code garage opener.

If you have one of these, then you basically need to "train" HomeLink with your garage opener.

To train HomeLink, you must press the "training" button on your garage opener. Then you press the HomeLink button twice. That should do it. I'd attach the section of the manual that describes it, but the file is too large.

See page 264.
Old 12-08-06, 06:05 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

dang I would like to know this too, since my GS has homelink, but I have been unsuccessful in programing it also.

I would go outside and try it, but my gs is dead and needs a new battery.
Old 12-08-06, 07:52 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Mine would not work either. I tryed both ways with no results..I must have read the instructions a dozen times. So I just go back to my old remote. Have to get one of the geaks here in the neighbor hood to set it up for me..
Old 12-08-06, 09:43 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

I will summarize the steps but, do a search on homelink and you will find multiple links.

1, Clear RX remote transmitter [not reaquired, but gives you a clean start point. Instruction in RX owners manual].

2. Program RX tranmitter by flashing the garage remote into it. [Instructions in RX owners manual. tip: do this out of range of garage door motor to prevent garage operation]

3. Program garage motor receiver to match the remote sent signal from RX [Instructions will be in the garage door manual *... typically the garage door motor has a button that you press and within 10sec you press the RX transmit button (step2). tip get another person to help you]

*This step in procedure is no different from what you have to do, when you install a wireless key pad device to operate the garage door.

Salim
Old 12-08-06, 11:17 PM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

it gives me a hard time to setup the homelink too.

basically, i first use the remote control to program the button in the car. remember to press and release the button on the remote control every 2-3 seconds till the 20 secs limit on the homelink.

next, press the train button on the garage door. within 30 secs, go to your car and press the button that you had programmed with the remote control. press and release the button for 3 times (don't do a quick release, hold the button for 1 sec then release). if it doesn't work, try press and release a few more times.

it's a bit tricky coz the RX menu didn't say you have to press and release the remote control button a few times when you program the homelink in your car.

hope that helps.
Old 12-09-06, 06:55 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by d6500k

it's a bit tricky coz the RX menu didn't say you have to press and release the remote control button a few times when you program the homelink in your car.

hope that helps.
It's not "press and release", it's the following.
3. Simultaneously press and hold the hand-held garage
transmitter button along with the selected HomeLink button.
4. When the indicator light on the HomeLink changes from a
slow to a rapid flash after 20 seconds, you can release both
buttons.

Then you do the "learn" step on your garage door opener motor, per the manual for the Genie, Liftmaster....whatever one you have.

I've just followed the manuals, have had no problems on several cars and several houses.
Old 12-09-06, 07:03 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Keep in mind that distance is also an important factor. You must place HomeLink as close as possible to the unit in order for it to be learned.

To reset the buttons, hold down button #3 and the button you want to reset until it begins rapidly flashing.
Old 12-09-06, 08:25 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
I've just followed the manuals, have had no problems on several cars and several houses.
You have it figured out Jim.

Most of the ppl are used to program a universal remote and think the learning part should be limited to teaching the RX.

BUT

There is the final step of teaching the garage door opener [due to rolling codes]. When my friends have asked me to help, and when I ask them ... where is the manual for the garage door opener? Invariably the answer is we dont have it. Then it becomes hit and try or visiting the web site of the garage door opener.

Salim
Old 12-09-06, 08:20 PM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the steps are a bit different in Canada.

Here is from the page from Homelink website:

Training in Canada
If programming a garage door opener or gate, it is advised to unplug the device during the "cycling" process to prevent possible motor burn-up.

During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. If necessary, follow steps 5-7 to complete the training for a rolling code device.

Retain the original transmitter of the RF device you are training for use in other vehicles as well as for future HomeLink training. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the trained HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. Refer to step 1 only.

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead ) keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Old 12-11-06, 11:45 PM
PDXRX
Driver School Candidate

I was having trouble getting homelink to work in my new rx350. I sent email to the homelink support team and they were able to solve my problem on the first try. I'll share the tip in the hopes it helps someone else:

I was programming with a small, keychain style remote with three buttons. Only the large button on the remote actually seems to do anything (operates the garage door) so that's the button I was pressing to program the Lexus with. It turns out for these types of remotes, you have to program with one of the two smaller buttons, even though they don't open the door! Once I followed that tip from the homelink person it worked on the very first try.

Even if that's not the problem you're having, I definitely recommend emailing or calling homelink support.
Old 12-12-06, 01:45 AM
Oyvind
Driver School Candidate

And finaly, if you do have an european car or door, they work on totally different frequency than the US does.. ;o)
;o)
(Check the frequency on your door. HomeLink is compatible with radio-frequency devices operating between 288 and 399 MHz (exclusive of the restricted 322-335 MHz range). Select 2001 and newer vehicles may be compatible up to 418 MHz (exclusive of the restricted 400-410 MHz range).)