RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Jiffy Lube Doesn't Have Oil Filter for 07 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 08:38 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Jiffy Lube Doesn't Have Oil Filter for 07 RX?

I stopped by my local Jiffy Lube today to get my first oil change... (not wanting to drive an hour to get to my local dealer to have it done)

I was surprised to hear them say that Lexus has "not given them the 07 filter yet..." and that I would *have* to go to a dealer to get the oil changed.

Is this true, or are they totally misinformed? Its not like the 07' just came out or anything...

Wouldn't the 06' RX filter work?
Old 10-25-06, 08:57 AM
Ms350
Rookie

Default Try Toyota?

I can't answer your question, but you might try calling the Toyota Dealership, if you have one close by. My Lexus Dealer is about 40 min away with out traffic so inquired before I bought mine if Toyota could do the service. I was told it was fine to take it there for the oil changes. Warranty service etc was to be done at Lexus. The first oil change is free, from Lexus, but I'm not sure they will honor that at Toyota.
Old 10-25-06, 08:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I wouldn't take no car of mine to a Jiffy Lube ever.........
Old 10-25-06, 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Jiffy Lube

I noticed on K&N's site that the 330 and 400 use the same HP-1002 filter as my RX300.
Old 10-25-06, 11:27 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!! (No offense!)

Like Ms350 put it....i would never take any of my cars to Jiffy Lube. I rather not have it done then let them touch my car!

I have heard that sometimes they forget to refill the oil, or they dont put enough, and various other problems!

I would also say Toyota is the best bet if its close by!
Old 10-25-06, 02:31 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may find this file helpful... It's an Adobe PDF file for simple printing.

The part number of the oil filter is the later number of the original 04152-31090. This substituted filter number is 04152-YZZA1 ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2007 RX350 Oil Filter Change.pdf (328.0 KB, 1470 views)
Old 10-25-06, 02:42 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised that they even told you they don't have the right filter.
Most Jiffy Lube places would probably have just stuck on a Honda Civic oil filter (or leave the old filter on but charge you for a new one) and called it a day....

Last edited by Lexucan; 10-25-06 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 03:37 PM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Wow, I've absolutely never had an issue with Jiffy Lube. As a person on the go it has always come in handy to get this done quick rather than wast time finding a dealer and sitting in the lobby for 3 hours for a simple oil change.. I used to do my own back in the day, but it would be a waste of my time now.

At any rate, I guess thats a few no votes for Jiffy Lube. Doesn't help me out much though.

I guess I'll have to find a Toyota dealer that might be closer to me. Why does that scare me more than JL...
Old 10-25-06, 09:38 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Starting with certain year models, Lexus is switching from the canister type oil filter to the older kind (replace the cartridge). The apparent advantage is that when you dicard the used filter, you are discarding less oil.

The new filter also requires a SST (even the old needed one , but generics were available).

I will not comment on the technical prowess (or the lack thereoff) of Jiffy Lube. Jiffy Lube (and other similar chains) will most probably not carry these filters on hand, till they become more prevalent.

I am sure, Lexus parts will sell you, or any courrier the filter you need.

Please check and confirm the right filter for your RX.

Saliim
Old 10-25-06, 10:27 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All Toyota/Lexus models with 2gr-fse and 2gr-fe engines re-use the oil filter canister and only replace filter media element and O rings. According to this link, a replacement oil filter kit cost $5.15, can anyone verify the price at Lexus/Toyota parts department?
http://www.drivewire.com/apps/getoem...mYearName=2007

With the new design, only the hose adaptor, which looks like a plastic piece is added. Components used to be in the old spin on oil filter that are no longer needed are:
1) Oil filter canister: the shell and the base plate
2) Anti-drain back valve
3) Pressure by-pass valve
4) Center perforated steel tube
5) Clip/spring to secure filter media

$5 is what Toyota charges for a spin-on filter. I seriously doubt Toyota is more motivated to squeeze that last ounce of used engine oil stuck in spin-on filter to be recycled than pocketing that raw material saving with the new design.
It is $ sign at the end of the day, as usual.
Old 10-26-06, 06:53 AM
salimshah

[QUOTE=
It is $ sign at the end of the day, as usual.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Money making thing is complex.

At times one has to spend a few extra cents to make a dollar or two. On the other hand flat savings is good but, when companies compormise on quality to save production costs it can come back to haunt them.

This particular one, may be win win and win [reduce disposable material, save oil from enetering drinkable water, save money].

Salim
Old 10-26-06, 02:06 PM
bileve
Driver School Candidate

Default Managing oil change shop

For years I placed a dab of paint on filter or access cover prior to leaving car with shop. Must have picked decent shops because the tell-tale was always disturbed.

Also I carry an oil filter in the trunk so there is no excuse for being out of stock. Presently I am carrying Lexus part number 04152-YZZA1.

Internet shows following part numbers:
FRAM CH9972
Purolator L25608
Haven't yet checked local parts houses to see if in stock here in Colorado Springs.
Old 10-27-06, 03:54 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I agree.

Money making thing is complex.

At times one has to spend a few extra cents to make a dollar or two. On the other hand flat savings is good but, when companies compormise on quality to save production costs it can come back to haunt them.

This particular one, may be win win and win [reduce disposable material, save oil from enetering drinkable water, save money].

Salim
Salim,
Correct, I am all for conservation and reduce pollution. But I wish consumer can get a lowered priced filter from the dealer because
1) we already spend $ on the car and paid for the build-in filter canister.
2) Lexus pockets all the saving and charge owners for the same price as the old spin-on filter.
3) Do the math, additional $4 per filter profit x number of lifetime oil changes x number of cars. This is no pocket change $.

The part that irks me is that owners pay for the cost of a new design and Lexus pockets 100% of the benefit.

No need to research for dealer pricing, a member named Greyhound reported, Lexus is charging $5, for two O rings and one made in Thailand filter media (basically a piece of paper folded and glued in circular form) here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=242332&page=2
Old 10-27-06, 08:05 PM
salimshah

I hear you Lexmex. You make solid argument. Note just because you know more about auto parts, you can spot the outrageous markup on items. Belive me this sort of huge markup is practically on any thing that is sold and purchased.

As an example, look at the markup on patch cords in an electronics store.

I would not let my blood boil over 4*200/5 => $160 markup over 10~15yrs of ownership.

In reality, it is fleecing the customers but we need to pick and choose our battles and enjoy life as well.

Sorry for being off topic, if any one is offended.
Salim
Old 10-27-06, 09:02 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I agree. Afterall there are aftermarket products to keep price at least at market level.
I actually like the new design because it allows me to exam what is going on inside the filter without cutting it open. Just that the Toyota/Lexus brand holds incredible equity, whether someone buys is just a personal preference.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube Doesn't Have Oil Filter for 07 RX?