RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX350 - Sirius and iPod Together!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 04:28 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 RX350 - Sirius and iPod Together!

Well...it's only taken 7 months but I finally added the key missing features I wanted when I bought my RX350 back in March - integrated Sirius Satellite Radio AND iPod integration with the 5th Gen nav system and radio assembly

All credit goes to Vaistech, who with the SLI (installed since August) and the new SLS (installed this last weekend) provided the audio integration I could not get as factory options from Lexus. These subjects have been covered in great depth on this forum, so I will only highlight the things I think people would want to know about my particular experiences....

1) The SLI unit, SLS unit, and Sirius tuner are all installed inside the floor level center console below the radio assembly. Let me tell you - it's a super tight fit! Three different boxes plus all the cabling involved....I was barely able to get the kick panel back on

2) Install of the SLS with the already installed SLI took about 20 minutes - 15 minutes of that was trying to figure out the "Y cable to the Y cable" connections to get both boxes into the 20 pin connector on the radio assembly. To put that installation in perspective - My dealer was quoting me $450 to install a Lexus-provided satellite tuner...which would have involved removal of the glove box, a seat, and a bunch of trim panels to get to the factory amp. While my configuration is not "factory"....my total Vais SLS cost was $300...vs. $900+ for a factory installed unit.

3) Installed the small form factor antenna pretty much like everybody else - just to the left of the Nav antenna, down the weather stripping and along the passenger side trim at the base. Had 10" of antenna cable left when I got to the Sirius tuner. Reception is perfect.

4) Running SLI in MP3 emulation mode...have full Nav integration, albeit with the VERY frustrating limitations like inability to see the folder list or song details while driving. I did by the NEW black wiring harness to match my interior - FAR better colors than the original gray cable with white connector....

5) No special configuration of the SLS unit other than to verify sound level (SAT3). Sound quality is great....I can switch between iPod music and Sirius channels just by alternating use of the DISC and SAT buttons on the radio assembly.

6) One thing that the SLS unit has that the factory satellite radio options (either official XM or unofficial Sirius) do NOT support is (16) character text displays versus the (10) characters from the factory systems. Still not enough - it should scroll like the Starmate does - but its much better than having only 10 characters of text.

7) I don't like the fact that when you press the SAT button to go from SAT1 to SAT2 it automatically takes you to the first preset in the SAT2 list. Is that what it is supposed to do, or am I doing something wrong?

That really is all I can think of - clearly I am happy now (finally) and assuming those three boxes stuffed in my lower center console don't overheat and explode since they are crammed in....I will continue to enjoy these new audio options on my otherwise fantastic RX350 - best vehicle I have ever owned.....

Hats off to Vaistech for filling in the Lexus/Toyota product holes.....

--Scott
Old 10-29-07, 11:46 AM
BrownRB
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Spikerjack, I've ordered an SLS. Where exactly is the nav antenna located in the RX-350? Thanks.
Old 10-31-07, 12:13 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by BrownRB
Hi, Spikerjack, I've ordered an SLS. Where exactly is the nav antenna located in the RX-350? Thanks.
The nav antenna on the RX 350 is on the back right corner of the roof - 6 to 8 inch adjustable antenna on a low black base. Most people, including me, installed the Sirius small form factor antenna right behind the nav antenna. Then run the 20' foot cable according the many installation instructions found on this forum.

Good luck!

--Scott
Old 09-24-10, 07:18 AM
twigglem
Driver School Candidate

Hi Spikerjack, I've got a couple of questions about the satellite installation.
I have an 08 RX350 and was looking to install the XM satellite radio but unsure about a couple of things. Is the only difference between the factory XM and the Vais unit the charecter display? (sound quality same, operability same??) Also, will an ipod adapter work along with the xm satellite installation.
Finally, I've been reading the forums, and thanks to the great information people have provided the installation does seem very doable with 1 exception. I am a little leary about running the antenna....how difficult was that? Could you post pic's?

Thanks!!
Steve