RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Backup Lights - Brighter Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 05:07 AM
GP1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Lights - Brighter Bulbs?

We recently purchased a used 2005, and now with the shoter days, have found that the backup lights are not adequate.

A local dealer inspected the backup lights and found them to be in working order.

I've searched the forums here trying to find some help; an auxiliary light (and how to wire it), brighter bulbs, LED cluster lamps, but I've not found any definitive answers.

Has anyone had any experience or solutions to the dim back-up lights?
Old 10-06-06, 05:31 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might try cleaning the inside of the clear lens.

Replacing the bulbs with brighter ones also increases the wattage;
this may melt the lens.
Old 10-06-06, 05:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The RX 330, as did the RX 300 before it has totally inadequate backup lights. Some have changed to a higher wattage lamp, but as Tammy says, you run the risk of damaging the lens if they are on for more than a few seconds. You might consider an aftermarket solution, something like the mini-fogs that could be slung below the rear bumper. You would probably need a relay to connect them to your OEM backups (similar to those used on fog lights) to keep the amperage low and not burn up your wiring harness. This would also require running power from the battery.
Old 10-06-06, 06:10 AM
GP1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tammy and Lil4X for the helpful replies.

I'll investigate further the option of using the LED cluster replacement lamps. These are typcially lower power BUT the light spectrun is also typically very narrow. I'm not able to find luminance data for any of these LED clusters.

Have you had any experiene replacing lamps in these? it seems that the housing can be removed by removing on bolt from the outboard edge of the housing. OR, can the lamps be replaced by removing the trim piece(s) from the tailgate?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-07-06, 08:28 PM
jerrsRX350
Rookie

If you find something please let us know! I agree that the backup lights on my RX-350 are useless. I'm sure they are OK behind the RX but you can't see back there anyway.
Old 10-08-06, 10:24 AM
sharpener
Driver

u have to replace them by opening the boot hatch

up till now, i dun think i have seen any aftermarket bulbs tat is brighter than oem
Old 10-10-06, 07:06 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I am still thinking to upgrade the back-up lights until I am confident about removing the cover/trim. I agree with sharpener these superwhite bulbs (with same voltage like stock) is slightly brigther or the same as the stock. But, I prefer the whiter color than the yellowish look.
Old 10-10-06, 07:10 PM
sharpener
Driver

i change mine to white, during nite time it was visible, but not day time
hence i change it back to my oem bulb
Old 10-11-06, 07:10 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Why? I have those superwhite bulbs on my previous cars and my other SUV. I think we should come up with HID for backup use.
Old 10-12-06, 05:28 AM
GP1
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Update on "Backup Lights - Brighter Bulbs?"

I ordered some white - 12 LED (921-W12) replacements from superbrightleds.com and they are bright!

The bad news is that the tapered design of the body AND the long lenght of the lamp socket collar does not allow the replacment lamps to be inserted fully into the connector. I was able to try them by holding the replacment into the lamp socket but I know they would fall out of the socket during installation and if not then certainly after the bumps and jars of the terrible roads here in Minnesota!

I think the next stop is the Polarg M06's.

Last edited by GP1; 10-12-06 at 05:51 AM. Reason: correct part number error
Old 10-17-06, 06:06 AM
GP1
Driver School Candidate

Default Update: Backup Lights - Brighter Bulbs?

Well, the Polarg lamps are brighter!!! Unfortunately they didn't do much to rememdy the inadequate design of the back-up lights. The lamps did help identify the issues. The desing and placement of backup lights seems to me to cause very little light to be directed downward.

I think I may try auxiliary backup light next.
Old 10-17-06, 08:29 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will probably try the auxiliary route as well. Does anyone know if the trailer connection provides backup light power? I'm guessing it includes tail, brake, and directional power but I'm not sure about reverse lights.

Alex
Old 10-17-06, 12:54 PM
GP1
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer Wiring

I'm looking into trailer wiring at this moment. I believe a 7-wire harness will provide a back-up light output on pin 7.

Several iternet seraches have referred to buying wiring harnesses for the RX330 at Toyota dealers - it seems that much of the RX wiring is similar to the Toyota Highlander!

After a couple of calls to Toyota dealer parts it seems that I'll have to go to the dealer to actually see the connectors to know if it will work for the RX.

I won't be able to pursue this further unitl next week.
Old 11-08-06, 05:28 AM
ccds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default poor back up lights

I replaced my oem back up bulbs with a halogen 50w 12v bulb used for garden lights.

It has resolved the poor back up light problem but the design of the back up light housing in the RX is poor to start with. It doesn't project a lot of light where you need it in the back.

I had to do a small modification to the plastic housing to get the new bulbs to fit but they have worked fine and I have had them in for over a month. The only concern I have is the new bulbs do cause a lot more heat and if you accidentally left them on for a long time I think it could damage the plastic housing or even the plastic lens.

I decided the risk was worth trying and I have had no issues so far.
Old 11-08-06, 10:35 AM
GP1
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Poor back up lights

I agree with you assessment of the design! It seems that even the brightest lamps would not make up for the inadequacies of the design.

I also share your concern about the heat generated but also the extra current required to power these 50 W lamps - I beleive the OEM lamps are 18 W.

I've not had much luck finding a solution (trailer wiring harness) through Toyota or Lexus. But I was able to identify the PIAA DENO 1 LED Auxiliary lamp assemblies as a resonable candidate for mounting below the splash pan at the rear of the RX. These are six LEDs each and are low power which should allow them to be powered by the existing circuit IF I could figure out "fish" a wire from the tailgate to below the bumper.

I'd like to maintain the automatic on/off based on the selection of "R" so additional switches ( manually activated ) don't appeal to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Backup Lights - Brighter Bulbs?