RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: What gas do you put into your 2RX?
Premium
0%
Medium
0%
Regular Unleaded
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 08:00 PM
Frayzn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased an 08 RX 350. I filled up for the first time yesterday for $55.00 using their 93+. Had I filled up with 87, it would have cost $52.43. I think I'll pay the extra $2.57 to prevent any problems. I just don't think it's worth the risk for that little money. Granted, I know it will add up, but so does running cleaner. It all comes out in the wash IMHO.

That's just my $0.02
Old 04-08-13, 09:17 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Would premium for you not be 89 octane and not 87?

Keep in mind that you are "at altitude" and thus you have different fuels compared to the bulk of the country. The lack of oxygen up there means less power and less chance of engine knock. So, in Denver you get 85 octane fuel.

The Owner's Manual says for you to use 87 octane. It does not say anything about adjustments for altitude. I would run 87 octane fuel in your RX330 regardless. Should you ever come down from altitude you will not need to make any adjustments to your fueling habits.

As for the extra cost, the total might be around two hundred extra dollars for a year if you travel 15K miles a year and depending on the difference in gas prices. Is it not appropriate to use the fuel recommended for your vehicle instead of trying to just save a few bucks? It is not really all that much.
I guess I meant mid-grade. I see your point. When I drive to Arizona it would be 87 too, but the cheaper gas. Makes sense....and $200 isn't that bad when you put it that way. Thanks for the help. Don't want to hurt the new baby to save a couple hundred.
Old 04-08-13, 09:19 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Frayzn
I just purchased an 08 RX 350. I filled up for the first time yesterday for $55.00 using their 93+. Had I filled up with 87, it would have cost $52.43. I think I'll pay the extra $2.57 to prevent any problems. I just don't think it's worth the risk for that little money. Granted, I know it will add up, but so does running cleaner. It all comes out in the wash IMHO.

That's just my $0.02
93? We don't even have that available. $2.57 hardly seems an issue even over time. Good to know!
Old 04-09-13, 06:39 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

AS RX330inFL stated, altitude acts as an anti knock agent. You can try 85 and see how it goes. You'll know if you get knocking. If you want to play it safe then stick with 87.

Originally Posted by JLeffler
I noticed though that everyone says they love how the RX does not need premium...
Depends on the RX. Our 400h is designed for 91 though there are certainly those that have run lower octane in the 400h without adverse effects.
Old 04-09-13, 07:37 AM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by takeshi74
AS RX330inFL stated, altitude acts as an anti knock agent. You can try 85 and see how it goes. You'll know if you get knocking. If you want to play it safe then stick with 87.
I think I'll play it safe. Worth the extra few cents!
Old 04-09-13, 07:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

So we just brought home our "new to our family", RX330 and the manual says for gasoline to use 87. I noticed though that everyone says they love how the RX does not need premium...so I'm confused. At least where we live, gas comes in three flavors besides diesel. 85, 87, 89. So for us, premium is 87.

Does that mean that my RX330 requires premium while all you other lucky ones don't need to? That kinda bums me out!

If I must, I must - but then that makes me wonder if from time to time I can get away with 85. Sometimes the price difference from 85 to 87 is 10 cents....sometimes it's more than 25. That makes it hard to swallow. Any thoughts would be helpful.

It`s only something like $3.00 and some change more per tank. Is it really that much of a deal breaker??
Old 04-09-13, 02:49 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus114
It`s only something like $3.00 and some change more per tank. Is it really that much of a deal breaker??
Nope! For some reason, I'm bad at math and didn't look at it that way. So much enjoying this car right now, that cost is so negligible.
Old 04-09-13, 04:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Nope! For some reason, I'm bad at math and didn't look at it that way. So much enjoying this car right now, that cost is so negligible.
If your circumstances were different I might have said for you to go with the lowest grade of fuel available if you wanted to do so. Without any hard data from Toyota/Lexus to rely on the next thing to go with is to look at the facts you do have. In your case living in or near Denver is an important piece of data. No matter where you go you will be going up and down hills and some can be substantial. You are also more likely to have a family, meaning your vehicle will be loaded with people and things on a regular basis. Those alone would give me pause and think about using a fuel grade or two higher than regular unleaded regardless of price. The fact that when you work the numbers it is not really all that much extra makes it an easier decision.

Personally, down here in Flatland, FL I run 87 octane regular unleaded for my day-to-day driving needs in my RX330. Not much of a strain on the vehicle going up and down hills as there are few, the vehicle is rarely carrying much of a load and I am not in a hurry to get any place in particular. I have seen little change in MPG when I dropped from premium to regular fuel. However, when I load up for trips it is not unusual for me to put in 89 or 93 octane (we do not have 91 octane in this area) as the RX is fully loaded and I will be going up and down in elevations of notice. There is more strain on the engine and having that little bit of extra kick comes in handy.

As for the price of fuel, one might save more by checking sites like gasbuddy.com or to download their app to your smartphone to see what is available in your area.
Old 04-10-13, 08:52 AM
chimera
Driver School Candidate

The 87 octane is just fine. The higher octane rated fuels are ideal for higher compression engines (the higher the octane rating, the more compression the fuel can take without ignition). If you are not getting engine knock (pre-ignition) with 87 octane, that is the fuel to use.
Old 04-10-13, 11:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chimera
The 87 octane is just fine. The higher octane rated fuels are ideal for higher compression engines (the higher the octane rating, the more compression the fuel can take without ignition). If you are not getting engine knock (pre-ignition) with 87 octane, that is the fuel to use.

10.8:1 is a pretty high compression ratio for a street motor. That is the comp. ratio of the 3.3L
Old 04-10-13, 12:44 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If your circumstances were different I might have said for you to go with the lowest grade of fuel available if you wanted to do so. Without any hard data from Toyota/Lexus to rely on the next thing to go with is to look at the facts you do have. In your case living in or near Denver is an important piece of data. No matter where you go you will be going up and down hills and some can be substantial. You are also more likely to have a family, meaning your vehicle will be loaded with people and things on a regular basis. Those alone would give me pause and think about using a fuel grade or two higher than regular unleaded regardless of price. The fact that when you work the numbers it is not really all that much extra makes it an easier decision.

As for the price of fuel, one might save more by checking sites like gasbuddy.com or to download their app to your smartphone to see what is available in your area.
I have a new stalker You hit the nail on the head on all fronts. Live just outside of Denver in a very hilly area (we call them mountains here!) and it's my family that rides around all day. thanks for the tips and yes, I do use Gasbuddy....it's amazing the range of gas prices in town. Even the cheap of the cheap, there can be an 85 cent difference from one place to the other.
Old 04-10-13, 03:13 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I would go with the lowest octane recommended in the manual. There's no reason to go over that for me. It's not a performance car and the lower grade gas has the additives to keep it working.
Old 04-10-13, 03:24 PM
Frayzn
Driver School Candidate

Default Real World Analysis

This thread provided an itch of curiosity. I mentioned before what the difference in price would be between 93+ and 87. I've quoted it below to refresh your memory.

Originally Posted by Frayzn

That's just my $0.02
I had to drive to St. Louis a few days ago and I took the RX. I started on empty and filled up with 87 at my local Shell station. I put in 14.8 gallons at $3.399. This was a total of $50.31 price paid. On the trip there, there was a small crosswind over I-70, blowing at about 5 kn to from southwest to northeast. I was traveling West. The total trip was 268 miles. I used 14.1 gallons, averaging 19 MPG.

Driving around the city, I used most of the gasoline in the tank. I filled up again, at a Shell, right before I left to head home. This time I put in 93+ fuel. I put in 15 gallons at $3.52. This was a total of $52.80. On the drive home, there was a stiffer crosswind, blowing at roughly at 8 kn North to South. I was heading East. Driving the same route home, the trip was 268 miles. I used 11.55 gallons, averaging 23.2 MPG.

This is where the math gets interesting, so bare with me.

Trip to St. Louis from Indianapolis
Distance: 268 Miles
Fuel: Shell 87 @ $3.399
Fuel Used: 14.1G
MPG: 19

Total Cost: (14.1G @ $3.399) $47.93

Trip from St. Louis back to Indianapolis
Distance: 268 Miles
Fuel: Shell 93+ V-Power @ $3.529
Fuel Used: 11.55G
MPG: 23.2

Total Cost: (11.55G @ $3.529) $40.76

Analysis
Total Cost at Pump
Regular: $50.31
Premium: $52.80

Total Savings Using Regular: $2.49

Total Fuel Costs for Trip
Regular: $47.93
Premium: $40.76

Total Savings Using Premium: $7.17

Total Net Savings Using Premium: $4.68

I think this speaks for itself. Premium fuel runs cleaner, yields higher performance, is recommended for your engine, and saves you money in the long term. Don't pinch pennies at the pump, because you'll spend more in the end.

Though to thoroughly prove this, more testing would need to be done; however, the wind was even in favor of the regular (87 Octane) gasoline. This is proof enough for me. I hope this wasn't a waste of time to read for you.
Old 04-10-13, 03:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX3302004
I would go with the lowest octane recommended in the manual. There's no reason to go over that for me. It's not a performance car and the lower grade gas has the additives to keep it working.
The concern from the OP is that while in most locations in the US we have a fuel selection at the pumps of 87/89/91 or 87/89/93 octanes, when you are told to use regular unleaded you know to select 87 octane. However, in regions of Colorado the octane selections at the pump are 85/87/89 due to high elevation. Now, do you run 85 octane as that is regular unleaded there?

Turns out that if you go by the Owner's Manual, which was my recommendation, you end up using the mid-grade fuel in that area which of course is more expensive than unleaded regular.
Old 04-10-13, 04:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I have a new stalker You hit the nail on the head on all fronts. Live just outside of Denver in a very hilly area (we call them mountains here!) and it's my family that rides around all day. thanks for the tips and yes, I do use Gasbuddy....it's amazing the range of gas prices in town. Even the cheap of the cheap, there can be an 85 cent difference from one place to the other.
No need to stalk. I spent some time at the Academy. Only a few real metros in the state. If you asked someone on the street in any place other than CO to name a city in CO you would more than likely get Denver as your answer and not Vail, Colorado Springs, or Fort Collins. You could do the same for most any individual in most any state and have good odds to be right.

As for Flatland, FL... my old office complex was at 6ft above sea level while I live up in the hills where I am at 95ft of elevation. Plenty of oxygen down here.

Quick Reply: Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)