RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:23 AM
dms666
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?

After seeing the other post about people's favorite RX features, let's take a look at the flip side.

My RX 330 pet peeves:

1. Rear wiper: Has never cleaned well, even after complaints to dealer...replaced wiper blades, replaced wiper arms. Still the same result. I just don't think there's enough pressure on the arm to clean well. I understand there's a TSB for it, I thought the replaced arm was meant to address that.

2. Rain-sensing front wiper: Give me a manually configurable intermittent wiper any day. Maybe it's just me, but I have to fight with mine to get it to wipe at the appropriate rate. A fine mist or road spray can cause the windshield to be impossible to see through with the wiper going at a slower than necessary rate. The same goes for different kinds of snow (which we get tons of in Ottawa). It often seems too slow or too fast for the different precipitation conditions I experience here.

3. Center console cup holder: Far too many different shapes and sizes of "cups" have fallen in this thing. A too-narrow cup or bottle will just wobble tip and small cups are hard to pick up as the flip-down hold arm nearly covers the top of the cup.

That being said, I love my RX330. These are annoyances that I can live with but wish could be fixed.
Old 09-05-06, 12:10 PM
franklowe
Driver School Candidate

I am looking to get RX 350. What really bothers me was NO remote start like ES 350. If Lexus is targeting ladies for its RX 350 then why on earth did they put that on 07 ES 350 but not 07 RX 350. It's sooo nice for the ladies not to have to reach into their purse. Please tell me I am wrong...
Old 09-05-06, 12:17 PM
lok888
Pole Position

I would think the ES is a brand new model for 2007. And everything is just carried over from last year on the RX except the bigger engine.
Old 09-05-06, 12:24 PM
c4posey
Driver School Candidate

I would agree w/ the rain sensing wipers. They are a little bit of a pain. I wish they were as easy to operate as my old Passat. I also wish the truck handled just a bit better. I know it's a truck but I was comin' off an exit ramp the other day doing about 25 mph and I was shocked @ the amount of squeal I was gettin'. I'm gonna have to get some nice summer tires next yr. Last, I'm a little bit disappointed in the fuel mileage also. 14.5-16 mpg is all i'm gettin in mostly consevative around town driving.

I really love the truck though. Considering I got an '07 RX350 for $100 less per mo. than an '06 MDX, I'm just thrilled w/ it overall.
Old 09-05-06, 12:26 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

dms666,

The rain-sensing front wiper can be turned off and adjusted manually.
Old 09-05-06, 01:00 PM
srashid
Driver

I love it overall, but:

1. All the 'safety' related warnings/lockouts (I agree, Bluetooth/NAV disconnects at speed)

2. Fuel consumption, I get around 18mpg overall, thought it would be at least 20mpg

3. No display of climate settings/outside temp. while on map screen
Old 09-05-06, 06:20 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by franklowe
If Lexus is targeting ladies for its RX 350 then why on earth did they put that on 07 ES 350 but not 07 RX 350. It's sooo nice for the ladies not to have to reach into their purse. Please tell me I am wrong...
Then maybe Lexus isn't targeting ladies......

But they would still need to reach into their purse to get the remote to open the door.
Old 09-05-06, 06:58 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Why can't the Lexus key fob come with seat setting buttons so I can adjust from my 5'2" wife to my 6"4" self before I get in the car?
2. Arm rests that are 2-3 Inches longer, wider and adjustable.
3. A Nav that learns. When I drive down a new road it will remember it and allow me to name it. It will also learn the routes I like to take and not take me to my destination the scenic route..

Last edited by crosborne; 09-05-06 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 10:24 PM
franklowe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Then maybe Lexus isn't targeting ladies......

But they would still need to reach into their purse to get the remote to open the door.
For ES 350, as long as you are within 2 feet, you do not have to remove the remote control from your purse or pocket to open the door and to start the car. As soon as you approach the front door, just push the little botton on the handle to open door. Once you get inside your car, step on the break and push the start botton. I just love this feature.
Old 09-05-06, 11:15 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Rather than complain about features common to all cars or technologies that don't exist, I'll mention features that actually exist in or are unique to the RX:

1. Placement/function of parking brake. I wish it were like the Jaguar which releases automatically when you start the car. No need to depress it to release it.

2. Inability to keep the recirculated air mode fixed. Although it can be set manually, the car has a mind of its own and will automatically set whichever mode depending on whether or not the air conditioning is on. It gets canceled when you turn on/off air conditioning. I hate the feeling of outside air coming through the vents when the windows are closed.

3. Skinny stock wheels/tires. Should be wider like the BMW and other SUVs with more aggressive stance.
Old 09-06-06, 05:01 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

dms666,

Whoa? I have an '05 330 and never knew that the rain sensing feature can be turned off. We have read the owners manual (Manual? More like a L O N G novel ) and did not notice this feature. Can you tell me where this is?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-06-06, 05:27 AM
crosborne
Rookie

Grumpa,
Its on the windshield wiper stalk. Just flip the stalk all the way up. On detent done from that is the auto mode. Next detent puts the wipers in low and each detent after goes faster.

32Kcolors,
I think the stock width is fine. You can go up the a 255 if you want. A wider tire will reduce your gas mileage. I think a lot of the problem with SUVs is people take the "sport" part way to literally. There is nothing sporty about an SUV, they sit too high, are too big and too heavy.
Old 09-06-06, 06:24 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default My Three

1- Tranmission is no where near up to snuff for a Lexus. And, this has gone on unresolved since 1999 now.

2- Goofy shifter console.

3- Controls not laid out logically nor proper ones on the steering wheel, i.e. cruise control.
Old 09-06-06, 06:59 AM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

One thing I noticed that would keep the rear wiper work better was to also have the rear defogger on at the same time ~ try it next time!

Also, I agree with srashid that, one of my disappointments is that the outside temperature doesn't show when the GPS screen is on. I know for a fact that other Lexus models have that constant-on feature for outside temperature and don't understand why the RX doesn't!?!

My wife has a Chrysler Pacifica (06 Limited) and it seems to have many more much advanced technology that the Lexus doesn't ~ features like what crosborne mentioned that would allow the key fob determine who is entering the vehicle (it would even change the radio presets depending on the driver) or make simple c-best adjustments without going to the dealer.

I'm currently looking at the redesigned 07 Acura MDX as a serious alternative to the RX!
Old 09-06-06, 07:23 AM
dms666
Rookie

dms666,

Sure, I can put the wipers on slow or fast. But how about something in-between, or intermittent. That's my beef. The rain-sensing wiper does not always sweep at a rate I would consider appropriate. And often, the slow or fast manual settings are not right either.

That's why I want a manually-set intermittent wiper. If the RX330 can do that, please tell me how!

Quick Reply: What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?