RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 07:24 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few things I think Lexus should really look into "re-engineering" but not like some car brands.

I would have to agree with the rear wiper being a bit on the "wimpy" side and not having a very strong down force against the window. While in the subject of the rear window my real peeve is in the fact that the rear spoiler has no type of venting thru it to put a down force of air over the rear window to help keep it cleaner. The RAV 4 and Highlander have spoilers that redirect the air over the rear window. It's really noticable for those of us in the Northern climates with snow that swirls up behind the RX and deposits on the rear window. With some air going over the rear window it would stay cleaner. Even in nice weather the window gets dusty/dirty.

I would also agree with the arm rest. For a vehicle in the mid $40,000 range it seems to be sub-par. Could be wider and longer at least.

Those are my only two real complaints. There are a few other minor things but even those are still better than what is found on most other car brands so why really complain. As for the seat memory, once you open the door you can touch the memory button and the seat and mirrors (outside) will adjust for you. You don't have to start the car to do this. So even if your wife is 5 foot and you are 6 foot 4 the seat can be adjusted before you actually get in.

As for the tires, sure a wider tire would look great but the tire size on there was done for a reason. Most car manufacturers work with tire manufacturers for anywhere up to two years to come up with the right tire for the vehicle. The idea is to get good ride, traction, wear and mileage. The wide tires look great but don't try driving them anywhere in snow or even worse - ice or compacted snow. The narrower and taller a tire is the better it goes thru snow and ice. Also the wider tire hydroplanes much easier than the narrow one.

What it still all boils down to the RX is probably one of the best all around "SUV's" you can find out there.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Grey/Black Interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, Rain sensing wipers, HID w/AFS, Tow Package w/OEM Hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's.
Old 09-06-06, 07:43 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I agree with the skinny armrests. My Camry (traded) and other SUV have a center console which also serves a armrest for both driver and front passenger.
Old 09-06-06, 08:17 AM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Inability to keep the recirculated air mode fixed. Although it can be set manually, the car has a mind of its own and will automatically set whichever mode depending on whether or not the air conditioning is on. It gets canceled when you turn on/off air conditioning. I hate the feeling of outside air coming through the vents when the windows are closed.
This can be fixed as one of the LPS settings by the dealer. I had it changed on mine and it works fine.
Old 09-06-06, 08:36 AM
asimo
Rookie

1. Small stock rim.
2. speed limiter.
Old 09-06-06, 09:46 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dms666
Sure, I can put the wipers on slow or fast. But how about something in-between, or intermittent. That's my beef.
I see what you mean. My point is the rain-sensing feature can be turned off and conntrolled manually. According to the manual, the intermittent function is available only on models not equipped with the rain-sensing wipers.

If you don't like something, change it if possible. The dealer might be able to retrofit the standard intermittent wiper with interval adjuster on your RX. Likewise, I plan to upgrade to a 255 a la crosborne when it's time to replace them.
Old 09-06-06, 09:53 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by srashid
This can be fixed as one of the LPS settings by the dealer. I had it changed on mine and it works fine.
Really? What's this LPS setting called? It's not listed as one of the LPS options in the manual or on the website. When you changed it, the outside air and recirculated air mode remains fixed irrespective of the other functions in the car, right? This might very well be my sole complimentary LPS adjustment when I take it to the dealer.
Old 09-06-06, 10:08 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

from the LPS .pdf:
While the air conditioner is ON or in AUTO, the vehicle can be programmed for the following:
1. To automatically switch between the recirculation mode and fresh air mode as necessary to meet the
temperature requirements set. (Standard)
2. When the climate control is turned on, the user must manually select the desired mode, recirculation
or fresh air mode.
Old 09-06-06, 10:10 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Thanks, Jim!
Old 09-06-06, 02:26 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dms666
Sure, I can put the wipers on slow or fast. But how about something in-between, or intermittent. That's my beef. The rain-sensing wiper does not always sweep at a rate I would consider appropriate. And often, the slow or fast manual settings are not right either.

That's why I want a manually-set intermittent wiper. If the RX330 can do that, please tell me how!
On my 06 GX470, the rain sensing wipers do have a sensitivity adjustment. On mine, it works quite well. Does the RX have this adjustment capability?
Old 09-06-06, 03:01 PM
crosborne
Rookie

In auto mode you can also adjust the speed/sensitivity of the wipers. There is a +/- wheel on the wiper stalk to adjust it.
Old 09-07-06, 10:54 AM
LCB
Driver School Candidate

The "I agree" button for the navigation system. The worst and most annoying thing about these cars easily.
The following users liked this post:
mspearl95 (07-22-19)
Old 09-07-06, 11:19 AM
jack19446
Driver School Candidate

I do not have NAV and the backup camera in my RX330, so the biggest problem is the poor view out the back when parking. 330's without NAV should still provide the rear view camera, or at least a backup proximity alarm system. The 2006 Murano which costs $1000's less than the RX330, provides the backup camera as a standard feature even in models without NAV.

I do not like the rigid covers on the pockets on the back of the front seats. Other cars that I have owned use elastic mesh or fabric, and allow more things to fit in the pockets.

The door pockets should provide a rounded area to hold a sports-type water bottle in each door. The standard cup holders are not big enough to hold large water bottles. I have fit water bottles in the center console by taking everything out including the coin holder, but emptying the console is not convenient.
Old 09-07-06, 04:10 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by asimo
1. Small stock rim.
2. speed limiter.
Our RX330 is speed limited to 110 mph. Where or why would my wife need to drive this thing faster? Not being critical, just curious.
Old 09-07-06, 07:31 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Originally Posted by DakotaRX
As for the seat memory, once you open the door you can touch the memory button and the seat and mirrors (outside) will adjust for you. You don't have to start the car to do this. So even if your wife is 5 foot and you are 6 foot 4 the seat can be adjusted before you actually get in.
A point that is not lost on me. That is what I already do, there is no way I'm going to squeeze in there and then hit the button, unless.... ITS RAINING! Living the the South it tends to rain a good bit and I don't always have the luxury of indoor parking. There are other car brands that enable you to push a button or even get close to the car and seat is already adjusted for you before you get in. Now, even on a dry day or in the garage, waiting 15 seconds for the seat to move from small lady to big guy is longer than I prefer to wait.
Old 09-07-06, 07:52 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

So now 15 seconds is a deal breaker?

If she were really a kind and considerate person, and if the small lady really loves the big guy the way she says she does, then she would push your memory button when she leaves the car, since either of you can enter immediately when the seat is in the back position.

That's what Oprah would do.

Quick Reply: What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?