RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Transmission "Whine"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 09:55 AM
tadeusz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission "Whine"

My 2004 RX330 has had all the latest transmission software updates, but to no avail the gearbox still hesitates at low speeds and when it engages it does so with a pronounced ‘thud’. And now the transmission has developed a ‘whining’ noise at the start of gear engagement that lasts for a few seconds and then goes away. The ‘whining’ is most noticeable during ‘stop-and-go’ road conditions (traffic jam). The ‘whine’ also is appears when I take my foot of the accelerator.
I have demonstrated this gearbox ‘whine’ to the Service Manager at the dealership, who had no answer and is going to check with Lexus Service to find out what could be causing it and what the corrective action is.

Has anybody experienced similar symptoms?
Old 07-27-06, 10:02 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't have a whine, but a noticeable groan at ~18-22 mpg. when i roll down the slight hill in my neighborhood with my foot off the gas (and brake), the car can't decide what to do at around 18-22 mpg. so it will be "stuck" in 2nd and groan like mad until it reaches about 23 and then will shift to 3rd. it's a very strange noise. a couple of friends have pointed it out like, OMG, what is that noise, is the car ok, and i say yeah, it's alright, it's just my funky transmission

i've learned to live with the not-so-great transmission, but i will say that i used to also have the jerkiness in traffic and gear hunting. after an ECU update, that part was gone, which was a huge relief, b/c that was very bothersome. i have never experienced the hesitation that some owners have described which they find to be dangerous on highway onramps. in fact i've never been in a situation where i find the RX does not have enough power to pass or merge, etc. so i guess what i am saying is that my transmission groan is liveable, although can be embarrassing in parking lots or in my neighborhood. i've mentioned it to the dealer in the past, but of course it's "could not duplicate" each time, and now i am out of warranty.
Old 07-27-06, 12:01 PM
srashid
Driver

Well guys I have read many posts on this and other forums about the RX transmission problems, but I have had my 2005 RX (AWD) for 2 months now and not noticed any of them; in fact I have found the transmission very smooth at all times.

Am I just lucky I got a good one or are there other owners on these forums who have not had the transmission issues either?

Also, I am the only driver for mine (so far) and is it possible that these issues tend to occur with different drivers on the same car?
Old 07-27-06, 12:52 PM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

I've only had my '04 RX330 for a month or two, but I have taken it on 2 long trips and drive it around town all the time, and I have none of the hesitation problems that others have reported.

I do get some whining in the car from time to time, but it's never coming from the transmission, if you get my drift.
Old 07-29-06, 06:34 PM
RHODY401
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
I've only had my '04 RX330 for a month or two, but I have taken it on 2 long trips and drive it around town all the time, and I have none of the hesitation problems that others have reported.

I do get some whining in the car from time to time, but it's never coming from the transmission, if you get my drift.
Very funny

There was a whirring/whine noise issue a while back for the '04s that had to do with replacing some extra insulation around the transmission cooling lines. Mine has the issue at a certain speed, but it doesnt bother me. I especially notice it if going up a hill from stop, as it accelerates around 20-30mph.

Looking through the alldata site, I no longer see this listed.

As to a solution to the other problem, a lollipop works fine.

Mike
Old 07-29-06, 08:01 PM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

As for this solution:

. . . maybe that works fine in your house, but in mine, nothing stops the whining short of diamonds.
Old 06-20-08, 02:54 PM
karlg22
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the whining noise. I have an RX330 - 2004. Around 40K miles I noticed a whining (low steady ringing noise) every time I excelerate. maintaining a speed 75MPH. Reported it to the dealer and they said they didn't know what it was. I now have 68K miles on the car and the whining noise is more apgetting the same whining at 40MPH. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 06-20-08, 08:25 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is what I have been thinking all along. Toyota/Lexus used to like to call it a learning transmission that is learning your driving style. I always wondered how the transmission could learn the different styles of different drivers and optimize itself for both at any given time. I say it can't. I had the jerkiness and hesitating tranny, but bot my with and I drove the car and we both have very different styles. For her, she used to get the hesitation and I rarely got the hesitation. I on the other hand I used to get the low speed jerkiness and my wife rarely complained about that one.
Old 06-21-08, 06:09 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I would add is to ask whether or not you have had a transmission flush? Not just a "drop the tranny plug and let the 4.5 quarts out" type of flush but a real flush in which the entire system is drained and flushed, usually via a special machine. Anytime I get an issue with the tranny, the first thing I do is to change the fluid. I will drop the plug, let the ATF run out, drive the car for 25-50 miles and then repeat the drain. I do this at least three times and usually four. That means that (guessing here) that 80-90% of the old ATF is gone.

Gary
Old 06-21-08, 07:19 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As for this solution:

. . . maybe that works fine in your house, but in mine, nothing stops the whining short of diamonds.
Around our house, the whining doesn't start until my wife makes me shut off the engine and come in the house. Dinner usually shuts me up.
Old 06-21-08, 07:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by karlg22
Regarding the whining noise. I have an RX330 - 2004. Around 40K miles I noticed a whining (low steady ringing noise) every time I excelerate. maintaining a speed 75MPH. Reported it to the dealer and they said they didn't know what it was. I now have 68K miles on the car and the whining noise is more apgetting the same whining at 40MPH. Has anyone else experienced this?
Welcome to CL, karlg!

I have a similar car, but don't have a transmission problem (yet) - although I did notice some whining that was traced to the tires (that were very bald) before I replaced them. Whining is typical of a hydraulic issue, most common in automatic transmissions or power steering pumps. If you've taken it on one dealer and had nothing but a shrug, try taking it to another dealer. If the noise is getting worse, it needs to be addressed. When the whining becomes dead silence, you are most assuredly in trouble.
Old 06-21-08, 08:40 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Had the tranny on our old '04 RX completely flushed out and put in ALL new synthetic fluid. Did this around 50K & the tranny was much smoother.
Old 06-26-08, 10:00 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know if it's classified as a "whine" but I had a high pitched hissing type noise start up at about 60k miles only with acceleration. Thought it was a vacuum leak, almost sounded like a turbo. I did have a vacuum line cracked, but the noise was actually the tranny---replaced as a result. Now it shifts better than when I got it at 45k miles.
Old 06-30-08, 07:13 AM
jmb627
Driver School Candidate

Question transmission question

I recently bought a 2005 RX330. The transmission whines. Also when I slow down for a yield sign, then try to accelerate, it sounds like it is in neutral for several seconds before going into gear, sometimes not too smoothly. Is this normal? I have tried to figure out how to avoid this situation, but haven't had any success. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-07-08, 12:24 PM
DarylPrice
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Transmission having same issue

Not sure if you are still having the problem with your transmission or not, or even if you still have the RX330 any longer, but my RX330 is doing exactly what yours is/was. Have you found a remedy for it? I have spoken to my dealer and also Lexus of America and they just say it is my driving or the wrong type of fuel. Well since I have spoken with Lexus I have had 3 other people test drive the car with the same problem I am having. Now that I know other people are having the same issue I am going to look for more people and show this to Lexus.

Quick Reply: Transmission "Whine"