RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus Halts Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 09:50 AM
unrealii
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, that technical difficulties excluse is b$.

1) The company which makes Lexus's navigation units ONLY offers Sirius in their aftermarket navigation systems http://www.eclipse-web.com/ .
2) I have visited the head quarters of eclipse in CA, and they are two blocks away from toyota's hq. The guy even told me they get exclusive access to see toyota cars to work on fittment, development, testing, of the nav/electronic systems. Both of these companies pay ridiculous attention to detail. There's no way this would have passed.

This may sound silly, but has anyone seen the sirius module from toyota? I can't imagine it being any different from the module eclipse uses for their aftermarket systems...I know the aftermarket radios work well with toyota's steering wheel controls without requring additional adapters.
Old 07-28-06, 08:05 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI,

I have Sirius in my 2007 ES 350 with ML and Nav. It was installed by the dealer. The unit is the same unit used in the 2006 ES330. With the exception of "the flaw", it works perfect. I can control by the Nav and by the steering wheel controls. Just ask your dealer to get one of the ES330 units for the 2006 and have them fulfill what they promised. Do not take "NO" for an answer.

I am seeing more and more of a pattern that the sales department, the service department, the business office, and Mrs. Lexus are not communicating very well. Pity.

Flaw? What is this Flaw? Somebody at Lexus Brothers made the decision that 10 alphanumeric characters were all that Lexus owners would ever want or need for the name of the song and the artist to see on the display. This happens with both XM and Sirius. (GD 50,000 bucks and ....) So, the "Red Hot Chili Peppers" are the "Red Hot Ch". The song "Bubble Pop Electric" is displayed as "Bubble Pop".
Old 07-28-06, 08:53 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by unrealii
To me, that technical difficulties excluse is b$.

1) The company which makes Lexus's navigation units ONLY offers Sirius in their aftermarket navigation systems http://www.eclipse-web.com/ .
2) I have visited the head quarters of eclipse in CA, and they are two blocks away from toyota's hq. The guy even told me they get exclusive access to see toyota cars to work on fittment, development, testing, of the nav/electronic systems. Both of these companies pay ridiculous attention to detail. There's no way this would have passed.

This may sound silly, but has anyone seen the sirius module from toyota? I can't imagine it being any different from the module eclipse uses for their aftermarket systems...I know the aftermarket radios work well with toyota's steering wheel controls without requring additional adapters.
Well this story just gets better and better....Eclipse is a part of Fujitsu, and it just so happens that I am the CTO for a different division of Fujitsu here in the US (Had no idea that Fujitsu was supplying OEM audio/nav parts to Lexus...how about that). Hopefully I can leverage this to get access to Fujitsu TEN/Eclipse key management and try to figure out what the deal is with this whole Gen V Nav --> Sirius debacle. I will also ask the question about compatibility between the Sirius equipment that had been going into the 2007 ES350 and see if it is technically compatible with the RX350.

I am more and more convinced this is NOT a technical problem.

--Scott
Old 07-28-06, 09:27 PM
psp
Pole Position

Scott,

While you are at it can you find out how to hack through the units "not very intelligently thought out" speed protected functions?

Thanks a million!!!

Pedro
Old 07-28-06, 10:04 PM
unrealii
Driver

Originally Posted by spikerjack
Well this story just gets better and better....Eclipse is a part of Fujitsu, and it just so happens that I am the CTO for a different division of Fujitsu here in the US (Had no idea that Fujitsu was supplying OEM audio/nav parts to Lexus...how about that). Hopefully I can leverage this to get access to Fujitsu TEN/Eclipse key management and try to figure out what the deal is with this whole Gen V Nav --> Sirius debacle. I will also ask the question about compatibility between the Sirius equipment that had been going into the 2007 ES350 and see if it is technically compatible with the RX350.

I am more and more convinced this is NOT a technical problem.

--Scott
ALRIGHT!!!...we've got an inside man!

While you're at it, tell them they are idiots for discontinuing the 8v preouts on their radios. I've got an cd8455 and have no intentions to upgrade to their newer units.
Old 07-29-06, 11:02 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

Thanks Scott! I've been researching this using all my available resources and so far I can not find any technical issues with why Sirius isn't being offered. I've seen numerous people unhappy with the 10-character limit on the display, but that would be more of an annoyance to me, at least I'd have the audio to listen to.

In all my searching, and I've called pretty much everyone who makes a Sirius unit of some type, there is no simple integration system available outside the one Lexus sales (or used to sale). Any other solution would require an installation and have cables running inside the vehicle. Several places recommended going with a portable unit with the hope of Sirius being offered within the next 6-9 months - but even that option means lots of ugly cables and would need to be hooked up directly to the FM antenia since its hard to find 1 channel that works within the southern half of California. The last thing I need is to be switching broadcast channels and changing radio stations as I drive to keep the audio going.

I was confident there was an integration solution, but my confidence is quickly vanishing. I'm going to call Lexus HQ on Monday to see if they have found any solutions. I've also tried to determine a "make-good". Even if they give me back my $995 I paid, I'm still without the system and need to find a solution. One person said they had Lexus make one of their lease payments, but even that isn't much on my lease. I would like some better floormatts - I drove the Rolls Royce Phantom two weeks ago and it had the best floor matts I've ever felt, I wouldn't mind having a set of those in my RX

James
Old 07-29-06, 11:42 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Already sent a flurry of emails to get the name(s) of the folks at Eclipse/Fujitsu I can talk to early next week. A couple of questions going into that discussion however for those active in this thread....

1) Is this 10 character limit "flaw" unique to Sirius? Does it happen on the XM factory installed system on the RX or other 2007 models? LexusLover, if you are reading this...I know your Sirius install was on an older Lexus and nav system...do you have full song details?

2) I have no idea about this speed protected function. Care to explain? One disclaimer...I am going to avoid like the plague getting to much info on the Nav service menu and its features...that thing scares me even as a tech guy....

3) unrealii, I will ask about the 8v outs...however, since you knew about Eclipse and Lexus on the Nav...is it fair to assume that they supply the radio assembly as well? If not...do you know who supplies the OEM RA to Lexus? I am DYING to get a wiring diagram for the RX350 radio assembly so I can understand what would be required for a wiring harness to connect an existing Sirius tuner to the existing RA (hopefully something my soon-to-be new best friends at Eclipse will be telling me.....)

For fun, I stopped at Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX today just to test them on Sirius availability. Asked a sales guy...asked a parts guy. Both had to check, both said "not available", both had absolutely no clue as to why. The fact they both said "go with XM" convinces me there is a financial deal between XM and Lexus for exclusively that looks really sleezy for those of us who bought on the promise and published advertising on the availability of Sirius. To make a big deal about this and advertise it, etc. would open them up to sirious (pardon the pun) liability.

--Scott
Old 07-29-06, 03:50 PM
jdasmh
Driver School Candidate

A couple of questions:
1) When did you get it (we bought ours 2 months ago & it still wasn't available)?
2) How does it work (any reason they wouldn't put it out everywhere)?
Old 07-29-06, 06:21 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spikerjack
Already sent a flurry of emails to get the name(s) of the folks at Eclipse/Fujitsu I can talk to early next week. A couple of questions going into that discussion however for those active in this thread....

1) Is this 10 character limit "flaw" unique to Sirius? Does it happen on the XM factory installed system on the RX or other 2007 models? LexusLover, if you are reading this...I know your Sirius install was on an older Lexus and nav system...do you have full song details?

2) I have no idea about this speed protected function. Care to explain? One disclaimer...I am going to avoid like the plague getting to much info on the Nav service menu and its features...that thing scares me even as a tech guy....

3) unrealii, I will ask about the 8v outs...however, since you knew about Eclipse and Lexus on the Nav...is it fair to assume that they supply the radio assembly as well? If not...do you know who supplies the OEM RA to Lexus? I am DYING to get a wiring diagram for the RX350 radio assembly so I can understand what would be required for a wiring harness to connect an existing Sirius tuner to the existing RA (hopefully something my soon-to-be new best friends at Eclipse will be telling me.....)

For fun, I stopped at Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX today just to test them on Sirius availability. Asked a sales guy...asked a parts guy. Both had to check, both said "not available", both had absolutely no clue as to why. The fact they both said "go with XM" convinces me there is a financial deal between XM and Lexus for exclusively that looks really sleezy for those of us who bought on the promise and published advertising on the availability of Sirius. To make a big deal about this and advertise it, etc. would open them up to sirious (pardon the pun) liability.

--Scott
1. According to the ES350 owners manual the 10 character issue is not unique to Sirius; they said this would occur on the XM unit and was not a malfunction.

2. While the car is in motion you cannot enter an address in the Nav system throught the touch screen (there is a work-around), you cannot dial the bluetooth through the screen, I cannot use all of the functions of the Vais Tech iPod controller (you can while not moving), and least importantly you cannot watch a DVD.

If you can help us "po folk" out here we would be very appreciative.

Peter
Old 07-29-06, 08:00 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by psp
1. According to the ES350 owners manual the 10 character issue is not unique to Sirius; they said this would occur on the XM unit and was not a malfunction.

2. While the car is in motion you cannot enter an address in the Nav system throught the touch screen (there is a work-around), you cannot dial the bluetooth through the screen, I cannot use all of the functions of the Vais Tech iPod controller (you can while not moving), and least importantly you cannot watch a DVD.

If you can help us "po folk" out here we would be very appreciative.

Peter

Ah....Of course I have also suffered from the speed protected lock-out "feature". No promises...but I will ask if there is any kind of back door.....

--Scott
Old 07-29-06, 08:05 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by psp
HI,

I have Sirius in my 2007 ES 350 with ML and Nav. It was installed by the dealer. The unit is the same unit used in the 2006 ES330. With the exception of "the flaw", it works perfect. I can control by the Nav and by the steering wheel controls. Just ask your dealer to get one of the ES330 units for the 2006 and have them fulfill what they promised. Do not take "NO" for an answer.

psp...I forgot to ask you...does your dealer invoice or work order specify the part # details for your sirius components installed on your ES350? - I am looking for the wiring harness part # as I think that is what could work with existing SiriusConnect tuners.

--Scott
Old 07-30-06, 11:08 AM
psp
Pole Position

I looked through the paperwork I have on the car and I do not see any kind of invoice for the Sirius radio. Sorry.
Old 07-30-06, 11:26 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Have you seen this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219069

Last edited by 32kcolors; 07-30-06 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 01:19 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by onihc
Penske gave out Sirius, not XM. I have been waiting since Thanksgiving. I wish Longo/Penske gave XM because I am a huge baseball fan. Bottom line, Sirius still not available for probably 3 more months, or maybe discontinued for Lexus.
I bought my lexus from a Penske dealership; they gave me a free Sirius radio and 9 months of subscription free of charge. I purchased my car in May this year.
Old 07-31-06, 06:07 AM
davidrossh
Driver School Candidate

My 1st post @ clubLex.
Called Lexus customer service last week...a toll free number I got off the Lexus web sight. I've had my IS250 AWD (which was to include a SIRIUS SAT RAD) since last April. When I pcked up the car I was told the SIRIUS radio was back-ordered and I would need to wait a week or two. I drive 35K miles a year so I really do use SRIUS alot. Well every 2-3 weeks I'd call the service manager at AKRON CANTON LEXUS and get the same story with a new potential delivery date...meanwhile my old starmate generation one sat rad is wired in my center console and not too user freindly!
I don't think the dealers are to blame, they just pass on the b-s they get from LEXUS Corporate. I explained to the nice lady at LEXUS Cust. Service that Lexus sold me a SAT RAD...took my cash and now can't fulfill my purchase agreement (my car is purchased ,not leased so I've paid in full for this item). She put me on hold and came back and said it was a quality issue w/ SIRIUS that was causing the delays. I informed her that I was an active shareholder of SIRIUS and that SIRIUS has no information on faulty radios in use w/ LEXUS vehicles. She put me on hold again and came back and asked if I wanted a refund...i said NO, I want a factory SIRIUS radio that I paid for...If the germans can do it why can't LEXUS!!! I told her that this is my 2nd LEXUS and that I nearly purchased a 330XI and I might have if SIRIUS was not a true option. She put me on hold and came back and said she could do nothing else...I asked to speak to her supervisor and she refused...she paused and said that if I gave her my full name ,address ,VIN no. and web address she would file a formal complaint that would be seen at both US and Japan Customer service.
I will continue to make monthly inquiries w/ both the dealer and US customer service. For me it's the principle of getting what you pay for and holding a manufacturer who claims supreme excellence to abide by their own standards...whew...thats alot of typing...

Quick Reply: Lexus Halts Sirius Radio