RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anything drive you crazy on the RX330??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 11:23 AM
CarNutTO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anything drive you crazy on the RX330??

I have an '01 RX300 that I'm planning on trading in for a '05 RX330 with Navi. While it is an amazing vehicle, there are two small things on the RX300 that drive me crazy - no mist feature on the wipers and no clip on the visor to hold parking tickets, etc. I know that these are MINOR issues, but I was just wondering if there are any small/minor things about the RX330 that drive you crazy (and I know the RX330 has a mist feature!).

Thanks!
Old 05-03-06, 11:40 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No lumbar adjustment for passenger seat. '06 has this.
No memory for passenger seat. I had an ES as a loaner and it had this feature.
No coin holder. The new coin holder on the '06 fits the '05.
Can't use driving lights without headlights. They are pretty useless as driving lights so I'd prefer to use them as fog lights. I can replace the bulbs but without the ability to use them without the headlights, I'm concerned that they won't be very effective.

That about covers it.

AlexG
Old 05-03-06, 12:52 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Don't even get me started! It is not fair the way I compare two different vehicles --- so I won't.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 05-03-06, 01:04 PM
CarNutTO
Driver

Originally Posted by Larrym9681
Don't even get me started! It is not fair the way I compare two different vehicles --- so I won't.

Aloha,
Larry
Wasn't really looking for a comparison. Just wanted to know what small things I should brace myself for.
Old 05-03-06, 07:01 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my RX300's, I kept the garage door opener in the little storage bin in the dash to the left of the steering wheel. That bin is gone in the 330... had to start using a little sub-compartment inside the center console. (I don't use the Homelink thing - can't move it to another car once in a while.)

Also had to get used to the idea of having one big top-loading center console instead of 2 drawers. Pluses are that it holds bigger items and that the cup holder is in a separate place; minus is the fact that it's harder to organize little stuff because you have to stack it all. It's nice, though - I did adjust to it.

I think the RX 300 has a nicer tonneau cover in the cargo area. The RX 330's is made out of a thinner material and it has fancy holders that are supposed to make it auto-retract when you open the rear door. I don't care for that - I liked the heavier, albeit manual cover with the big handle in the RX 300.

You'll find a lot of other little things are improvements over the RX 300. Better radio controls, addition of headlight washers, disc changer without magazines, no disc changer in the glovebox, no telescopic power antenna to get stuck, and speed-sensitive audio volume adjustment, just to name a few.
Old 05-04-06, 01:47 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control

I hate the way all Toyota/Lexus cruise controls work. First, you have to turn them on every time you get in the car...that's not that unusual, but it is annoying. Then, every time the car goes below a certain speed (about 25?), you have to reset it. In the other cars I drive, the cruise control retains the most recent speed used until you reset it. That's much more convenient.
Old 05-04-06, 02:26 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarNutTO
I have an '01 RX300 that I'm planning on trading in for a '05 RX330 with Navi. While it is an amazing vehicle, there are two small things on the RX300 that drive me crazy - no mist feature on the wipers and no clip on the visor to hold parking tickets, etc. I know that these are MINOR issues, but I was just wondering if there are any small/minor things about the RX330 that drive you crazy (and I know the RX330 has a mist feature!).

Thanks!

Are you sure there is no mist feature on the wipers? My 04 RX330 has that feature. You have to push the lever up. It also says "Mist" on the wiper stalk.

Anyway, my complaint is one in most late model Lexus cars. There is no way to view the clock while the ignition is off. Also Lexus started using special mini blase fuses. Not your typical mini fuse, but a specific dealer Toyota/Lexus only fuse. Now you have to go to the dealer to replace a simple fuse rather than just picking one up from the parts store. The stll use the common mini blade fuse under the hood as well though.
Old 05-04-06, 02:28 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rxdriver
In my RX300's, I kept the garage door opener in the little storage bin in the dash to the left of the steering wheel. That bin is gone in the 330... had to start using a little sub-compartment inside the center console. (I don't use the Homelink thing - can't move it to another car once in a while.)

Just curious as to why you don't use the homelink in the RX, and keep the remote in the other car or cars that you need to use them in? That is what we do with ours. The RX uses the homeling, and I take the remotes with me for my other cars that don't have the homelink feature.
Old 05-04-06, 10:30 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest pet peeve is that the cruise control lever is not backlit. At night, it is impossible to see the controls. Luckily the lever is fairly intuitive but I don't drive this car that much (it's my wife's car) so when I do it would be nice to see the cruise stalk lit up.

Oh, and this was on her 05 330 and her new 07 350 as well.

This is really a minor complaint but otherwise, we love the car!

Jay
Old 05-04-06, 01:30 PM
CarNutTO
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Are you sure there is no mist feature on the wipers? My 04 RX330 has that feature. You have to push the lever up. It also says "Mist" on the wiper stalk.

Anyway, my complaint is one in most late model Lexus cars. There is no way to view the clock while the ignition is off. Also Lexus started using special mini blase fuses. Not your typical mini fuse, but a specific dealer Toyota/Lexus only fuse. Now you have to go to the dealer to replace a simple fuse rather than just picking one up from the parts store. The stll use the common mini blade fuse under the hood as well though.
My '01 RX300 doesn't have a mist feature. All the RX330's do.
Old 05-04-06, 01:59 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CarNutTO
My '01 RX300 doesn't have a mist feature. All the RX330's do.
My bad. I say that you were thinking about the RX330 thus I thought you were talking about the 05 RX330 in question.
Old 05-04-06, 02:11 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Transmission

Still ain't up to Lexus standards one would expect and this is based on an 06 model.
Old 05-04-06, 02:12 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Seats

No side bolster to speak of to "hold" you in place. The seat bottom has no adjustable thigh support and therefore for me feels to short.
Old 05-04-06, 06:20 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Oh, the windshield wipers don't have a slow option, its just low, high or auto, nothing in between. Not much to hate, but drives me crazy when its not raining enough to use high and raining too much to use low. This is on the '05 model.

Somethings the headlamp washer wipers don't work, which is a tad annoying.
Old 05-04-06, 07:17 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default No cooling in seats

if we can have heated seats why can't we adopt the cooling from other manufacturers here as well. In the South this is equally as important in the warm months as heat is in the winter.

Quick Reply: Anything drive you crazy on the RX330??