RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anything drive you crazy on the RX330??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 07:19 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Buttons on Steering Wheel

like in the BImmers is a whole lot easier to utilize. Not griping,just pointing out fine tuning that would make this vehicle more ergonomically friendly.
Old 05-05-06, 12:21 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default my annoyances....

(I have a '04 RX, maybe these were updated in later models...)
Overall - my wife loves the car -- here are some details I find annoying though...

The lighting brightness of the LCD display is not linked to the rest of the dashboard. It's amazing Lexus wasn't able to figure this out.

The rear DVD system can't play external video audio through the main speakers (ex: video games).

The rear DVD screen won't lock into its tilted-back position...it used to - but the tabs wore out...

No direct access to CDs -- you have to press the cryptic UP and DOWN buttons repeatedly to find the right disk. Why couldn't I just press #2 to get the 2nd disk?

No OFF button on the HVAC. You have to turn the fan down to nothing in order to turn it off...

Rear hatch spoiler blocks airflow on rear glass -- The rear hatch glass gets dirty very fast compared to other SUVs I've owned.

No auto-open/auto-close on all positions in the sunroof (Other cars have it -- come on Lexus!)
Old 05-05-06, 03:20 AM
markpaco
Rookie

No OFF button on the HVAC. You have to turn the fan down to nothing in order to turn it off...
My 04 has an OFF button for the HVAC. It is on the left side.

No auto-open/auto-close on all positions in the sunroof (Other cars have it -- come on Lexus!)
The sunroof has auto-open/close. You just hold it open/close for a second.

My biggest pet peeve is that the cruise control lever is not backlit.
Cruise control lever backlit? Do you expect your turn signal and wiper stalks illuminated also?

Also Lexus started using special mini blase fuses. Not your typical mini fuse, but a specific dealer Toyota/Lexus only fuse.
Are you sure? The mini fuses are available at most auto parts stores.

As far as my minor 'complaints'
-lack of a coin holder
-can't program air suspension to start at lowest setting
-rear cargo space is a bit small because of window rake angle
Old 05-05-06, 05:05 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

>>My 04 has an OFF button for the HVAC. It is on the left side.

My bad - you're right...I was thinking of my other car.

>>No auto-open/auto-close on all positions in the sunroof (Other cars have it -- come on Lexus!)
>>The sunroof has auto-open/close. You just hold it open/close for a second.

...then I my sunroof switch must be broken. Auto-Opening works, but not auto-closing.
Old 05-05-06, 05:13 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_rx330
>>The sunroof has auto-open/close. You just hold it open/close for a second.

...then I my sunroof switch must be broken. Auto-Opening works, but not auto-closing.
The jam protection feature needs to be re-calibrated. See this thread for the process - it's easy:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211708
Old 05-06-06, 03:49 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest pet peeve is that the cruise control lever is not backlit.
Cruise control lever backlit? Do you expect your turn signal and wiper stalks illuminated also?

Well - considering that your use of the turn signals and wiper stalk are fairly standardized from car to car I don't really feel that the backlighting is necessary. How many cars have you been in that need a dash button to "activate" cruise control and then a button on the steering wheel or a stalk to accel/decel/cancel? Not to mention the other numerous ways that manufacturers have set up their cruise control switches and levers.

Also, with the location of the cruise on the RX and the infrequent times that I drive it, I don't feel that it is that intuitive. Merely my opinion. You are welcome to agree or disagree.

The original poster was merely asking for feedback and I mentioned a "minor" pet peeve. As a matter of fact - I am one of those optimistic folks who think that Lexus may actually read these boards and look for suggestions for improvements based on posts they read. Call me idealistic but it never hurts to get those suggestions out there.

I certainly hope that I shouldn't expect every post to get quote parsed and commented upon on this forum. I guess I'm glad I lke the RX otherwise. Sheesh - I could only imagine if I actually had a complaint about the car!

Jay

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 05-06-06 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-06-06, 06:58 PM
MPP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darksparkz
Oh, the windshield wipers don't have a slow option, its just low, high or auto, nothing in between. Not much to hate, but drives me crazy when its not raining enough to use high and raining too much to use low. This is on the '05 model.

Somethings the headlamp washer wipers don't work, which is a tad annoying.

The only time the headlamp washers will work is if you have the head lights on. Not the day time running lights. If that does not fix it I would take it in.
Old 12-16-12, 08:21 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

No heated steering wheel
No cooling in seats
arm rest needs to be wider
No folding power mirrors
Invent a power rear door that actually works 100% of the time

that's about it. Jamie
Old 12-16-12, 06:32 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the biggest peeve for me (about my 07 RX350, which I think applies to the RX330 as well) is the Navigator and bluetooth.

Specifically, not being able to operate them while the vehicle is in motion! Especially annoying in regard to the navigator as it means having to pull up to make any changes...

Surprised noone else has mentioned it so far. Maybe it is different on the RX330?

Yes I understand the safety implications, but what about the passenger next to me....

Another slightly annoying thing is the positioning and lack of lighting for the lower 'buttons' like the tailgate release/fuel flap release.
Old 12-17-12, 06:50 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

To chime in...

•I think the air-noise level is too high for a luxury vehicle. Not that it is all that loud but it is much improved in the newer models.

• Rear windshield wiper does a poor job of keeping the rear glass clean unless I use RainX on the glass.

• Paint is brittle and chips easily. Note to self, don't tailgate.

• Rear view mirror motors fail frequently

• Automatic climate control seems to not keep a uniform temperature over time.

Mostly pretty minor stuff.
Old 12-17-12, 12:19 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by satz
Another slightly annoying thing is the positioning and lack of lighting for the lower 'buttons' like the tailgate release/fuel flap release.
I agree ^, 1 LED installed above the flip door, brighter ones in center console and cup holder section.
Old 12-20-12, 12:03 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

My mirror adjustment for outside mirrors isnt lit at night, quite annoying or is mine burned out.?
Old 12-21-12, 06:29 AM
gusar
Driver

Cracking sounds from under dashboard (especially at winter)
Old 12-25-12, 04:41 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by CarNutTO
I have an '01 RX300 that I'm planning on trading in for a '05 RX330 with Navi. While it is an amazing vehicle, there are two small things on the RX300 that drive me crazy - no mist feature on the wipers and no clip on the visor to hold parking tickets, etc. I know that these are MINOR issues, but I was just wondering if there are any small/minor things about the RX330 that drive you crazy (and I know the RX330 has a mist feature!).

Thanks!
I have only had mine for a week and love it, but the headlight water leak issue will drive me crazy until I can take out the lights and seal them this spring.
Old 12-26-12, 06:49 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

Originally Posted by gusar
Cracking sounds from under dashboard (especially at winter)
I had the same issue until I had the dealer perform the dash insulation TSB. It is not cheap out of warranty but it was well worth it when it turned cold again. I am all smiles about my 330.