RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navi question, I live in hawaii, is there a different region for hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 12:10 AM
Wizzard005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi question, I live in hawaii, is there a different region for hawaii?

I have a RX330 and my navi doesnt work anymore since moving to hawaii. Is there a way I can upgrade it so it will work again?

It only works on the mainland, can anyone help?

Thank You
Old 04-23-06, 08:13 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I just checked my newest NAV update (from January '06 -- data version 5.01) and I see the following:

First, the disc itself says it covers "North America." (The South Pacific is not listed.) I am sure the presumption is that cars sold on the mainland seldom venture off the continent.

Secondly, I checked it in operation and I see that California is included, but nothing west of there. None of the cities in Hawaii are covered (I tried to call them up and got nothing, but you have probably already done that already).

Finally, I notice that although Canada is covered (who knew they had roads up there) Alaska is not, even though it is in North America.

The way to upgrade it is to find a disc for this system with the Hawaii data -- I know that there are versions for Europe and Japan; maybe one is made that includes Hawaii. You can check with your dealer or with Navitech to see if a data disc is made which covers Hawaii (the local Lexus dealers should know the answer to that -- ask what disc is in the cars they sell on the island), but the discs from the mainland cover only the 48 contiguous states and Canada, which is contiguous to many of them.
Old 04-23-06, 10:05 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though it may sound wierd, Toyota Motor Sales USA does not handle sales and distribution of cars in Hawaii. There is a local distributor in Hawaii that imports cars directly from Japan. Because of this, options (and sometimes even available configurations) may differ from the continental US. You will need to contact the local distributor, Servco, for help. If you call the 800 # for Lexus USA, they will be unable to help you.

I show that the 2 available Lexus dealers in Hawaii are:

Servco Lexus
(Honolulu)
650 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 545-3987

Servco Lexus
(Maui)
445 Kele Street
Kahului, HI 96732
(808) 877-4411

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-06, 10:59 AM
tfischer

If all the map and guide data from 48 states and Canada can fit in the 8.5 Gigs of data on the Double Layer DVD we have (and I understand all of Eastern Europe fits on one disc), surely there must be room on the Japan disc for some extra areas. Maybe the Pacific Islands are on the Japan disc.

PS: these discs are made by Navitech for Lexus, Toyota and many other car companies. Maybe that company can help.
Old 04-23-06, 04:14 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the BS of Hawaii. Servco of Toyota/Lexus is seperate from the Toyota/Lexus network accross the USA. We get different packages since Srvco is the importer. We have wanted navigation in Hawaii for years. According to some like flipside, he states Lexus still doesn't have map rights to Hawaii, so you are just plain out of luck to get your OEM navigation to work here. Acura uses tele atlas I think which the all the Alpine units use which Acura's nav is based on. Acura has navigation in Hawaii. My pocket PC has navigation. Navigation is readily avaible here, but just not in the OEM cars for some reason except for Acura.

Honeslty, that is one reason why I'm in no hurry to buy another new Lexus simply because we don't get the navigation, so most models don't have the LCD screen. Only the GS here still retains the LCD screen so that is the only option on the table. Either that or buy used from the mainland and pay the $1000 for shipping.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-23-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 04:26 PM
tfischer

So how hard is it to get lost on that island, anyway?
Old 04-23-06, 04:50 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
So how hard is it to get lost on that island, anyway?

Just as easy as it is to get lost in any other city I figure. Seriously though, if you are headed in an area you don't awalys visit it is easy to get confused with all the one way streets, especially in Waikiki. I figure it is like that everywhere. We all can get to and from work, or to our favorite places with ease, but if we are headed to someones house in a neighborhood we don't normally go to, or need to pick someone up in the business district it comes in handy. It just saves a lot time.