RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need Help Please - RX330 (Light Gray Interior)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 09:06 PM
yads
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please - RX330 (Light Gray Interior)

I have a 2004 RX 330 with a Metallic Flint Mica exterior and a Light Gray Leather interior. I do not know what I was thinking when I bought it because we just have 10K miles on the SUV and the interior is looking worn out because of the light interior color.

i have gotten the car detailed (all shampoo'd inside, etc)., but it only helps a little. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the interior seats to look good when you have a light color leather, specifically the Light Gray ?

Thank you very much.

Mike
Old 01-02-06, 09:34 PM
tsings31
Driver School Candidate

I've been satisfied using Lexus' own leather cleaner and conditioner on my light gray seats. Using this combination every few months should keep the leather in good shape and looking clean.

My seats still look good.
Old 01-02-06, 10:09 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default leather

I also have the light gray interior on my Lexus rx, and i feel both it and the vinyl interior surfaces show soil easily. My family is in the interior business including floorcovering and fabric sales and we have cleaned carpet and upholstery for 45 years. We do not clean leather as it is a totally separate business, however i need to be able to keep the leather seats clean. I am careful however i do drink coffee in the vehicle (it is seattle afterall) and i do see blue dye from my denim jeans color the edges of the drivers seat. Leather cleaner and conditioners do not do the job for me, they smear the soil around and do not return the seat to its original color.

Woolite fine fabric cleaner that you can buy in the grocery store is safe for leather. I mix a couple capfuls in a gallon of water and clean the seats and backs with this solution with a damp bath towel. It removes all soil and returns the seats to like new color. Just to be safe i wipe the seats at the end with a damp towel that is rinsed in clear water. The last step is the conditioning, after the seats dry i use a Meguiars leather conditioner, its creamy and seems to revitalize the leather. Finally buff the excess conditioner off with a dry clean terry cloth towel and you are done. Everything will be like new. It seems like alot of work but its worth it. Inbetween major cleaning many stains will wipe off with just a damp towel. Never use a paper towel that has color on it, only white as it will transfer the dye to your seat. Also i vaccum the seats first as there is alot of sand in the seams and back crevace and you dont want to be rubbing that around during your cleaning process.
Old 01-03-06, 06:15 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Lexol

I have been using Lexol leather cleaner and their conditioner for years with excellent results. See recommendations at carcareonline.com. And, I keep my cars a long time generally.

http://carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=7
Old 01-03-06, 02:44 PM
katzjamr
Driver

todd's post is thorough and underscores that the leather needs a separate cleaner before you condition, so you are not just smearing the dirt around.