RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cost of 15k service on the 400h ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-05, 08:54 PM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of 15k service on the 400h ?

I have read varying reports on the cost of the 15k inspection/service on Lexus in general. Has anyone had that service done on their 400h yet, and what was done and at what cost to you?

I have to say with my '03 BMW 325 I don't pay for anything, period. Nothing for oil changes, 30k inspections, fluid flushes, brakes/rotors, wiper blades....nothing!

But when I did a search on the "maintence" cost on Lexus, over a typical 5 year period, some estimate it a $5,000 I had to re-think my Lexus purchase.

I really want a 400h, but at what cost?
Old 10-29-05, 12:31 AM
katzjamr
Driver

Default its just an oil change

The 15K service on the 400h is a normal oil, filter, and rotate tires. The lexus dealer on average does charge about $70 for a normal service. Some people go to toyota dealerships and have it done for less. (some people do it themselves) My dealer in the northwest uses Castrol synthetic blend oil that is part dino and part synthetic. This is the oil that was shipped in the engine from the factory. BMW is required by law to provide maintenance for free because they require you to use a specific oil. In the USA when a mfg requires only one product to be used they must provide it for free. They are not doing that out of the goodness of their heart. The full maintenance schedule is published at the lexus owners site.
Old 10-29-05, 06:03 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

THIS is why I was asking the question (taken from the Edmunds forum) and I quote

"We just got back from our free 5000 mile maintenance check and were very pleased with the service. We asked questions about our subsequent oil changes and maintenance checks. Our dealer told us $70 for the oil change and probably $800 for our next maintenance check. We left wondering if there are any reasons we couldn't take our 400h to our trusted local mechanic for the oil change. We go to him for our other non-Lexus vehicles. Anyone have any answers for this? We still love our hybrid and with the weather getting cooler we're still averaging 29 - 30 MPG on 50/50 city/highway driving. We are getting EPA numbers - fewer on the highway and more in the city. We have never used premium grade and our oil is Castrol 5W30. Whatta great vehicle! "

$800 ???, that got my attention! Check the hyperlink for the Edmunds forum.

And BTW, I can see why BMW is required to offer free oil changes, they use a full synthetic Castrol and changes are every 15k. But they also changed out all four brake pads, changed the rotors (evidently there was an issue on some vehicles) , even changed the wiper blades at that time, and of course free loaner also! Best service experience ever. OK, OK, the Charbucks cappichino was the real reason my experience was memorable......

Last edited by willinak; 10-29-05 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 08:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually, 400h should have lower costs that RX330, due to the lack of differential and differential fluids.
I believe "next" check would be the one where all essential oils and flushed and replaced. 800$ sounds too much, but what should be done is something like- replace air filter, cabin filter, oil filter, fuel filter, engine oil, brake oil, differential oil (not on 400h). It also takes few hours to complete.

Compare this with 1 hr oil change when only oil and oil filter are replaced...

In 400h, no maintainance is done with hybrid components, and due to design, it should be significantly cheaper to service over the life of the vehicle - no differential fluid, no belts to replace, much less wear on brakes, etc.

p.s. I am pretty sure your brakes and pads were changed due to some TSB
Old 10-29-05, 08:50 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Willinak,

Wait till your 4 yr/50K mile free maintenance schedule is over. That's when your dealer and BMW start to ask you to pay them back. My wife has a 330xi before and the way they do business is a major reason that keeps us away from getting another BMW. Don't get me wrong, BMW are great driving machines. But the maintenance cost in the long run and their questionable reliability is just not that much to be fond of.
Old 10-29-05, 09:02 AM
sxn179
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree with you on Lexus Service costs. My uncle warned me of it before I bought, but I did anyway. And i do love my 330 nonetheless.

I live in Hudson Valley NY and the local dealer is in NJ.

15k service for my Rx330 is $445 @ Lexus. Includes ... oil change, trans diff oil change, engine filter, cabin filter, top fluids, inspect car, and road test. Same service at local toyota is 198.95. Midas is $129.95.

$445 is crazy price for people who really have extra money to burn. I'll end up at the local Toyota dealership since they have a certified Lexus mechanic and like I said I do love my car and am worried about Midas mechanics.

That's my rant.

PS: Although they are over priced they do take care of you. After the security update on the headlights, there was a bad seal and i got water in it. Long story short, they gave me a rental for the entire time (4 days) as we went through bad shipping practices by Lexus. So over priced but definitely good.
Old 10-29-05, 09:39 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Willinak,

Wait till your 4 yr/50K mile free maintenance schedule is over. That's when your dealer and BMW start to ask you to pay them back. My wife has a 330xi before and the way they do business is a major reason that keeps us away from getting another BMW. Don't get me wrong, BMW are great driving machines. But the maintenance cost in the long run and their questionable reliability is just not that much to be fond of.
One of the main reasons to keep it 3 1/2 years, then sell it w/ some warranty remaining
Old 10-29-05, 09:42 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sxn179
I have to agree with you on Lexus Service costs. My uncle warned me of it before I bought, but I did anyway. And i do love my 330 nonetheless.

I live in Hudson Valley NY and the local dealer is in NJ.

15k service for my Rx330 is $445 @ Lexus. Includes ... oil change, trans diff oil change, engine filter, cabin filter, top fluids, inspect car, and road test. Same service at local toyota is 198.95. Midas is $129.95.

$445 is crazy price for people who really have extra money to burn. I'll end up at the local Toyota dealership since they have a certified Lexus mechanic and like I said I do love my car and am worried about Midas mechanics.

That's my rant.

PS: Although they are over priced they do take care of you. After the security update on the headlights, there was a bad seal and i got water in it. Long story short, they gave me a rental for the entire time (4 days) as we went through bad shipping practices by Lexus. So over priced but definitely good.

I keep hearing about people taking their Lexi (Is that plural for Lexus?) to Toyota dealerships for service. Is this fully recognized by Lexus (to avoid warranty issues)?
Old 10-29-05, 12:51 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default service

Yes a Toyota dealership is recognized under the warranty for service. Some of their technicians are hybrid trained as the toyota Highlander uses the same chasis as the 400h. For a 400h at 15K anything more than the basic oil, filter lube would be because the car is used for towing, or maintained under the 'severe' service requirements.
Old 10-29-05, 01:51 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great....i get stiffed both at benz and now at lexus....argh...