RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A Heater Question & Some Rants

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 09:21 AM
KenLex41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Heater Question & Some Rants

I first have a question about the heater in my RX400h. My father-in-law and I have a debate about how the heater works. Does it run off the heat from the engine or is it electric? I told him it can't run off the engine, but I have noticed with it getting colder, my engine runs a lot more.

Second, a couple rants.

1) I have to say first, were is the coin holder? My $20,000 Dodge had a decent coin holder. I heard they put one in the 2006 RX. Does anyone know if it will work in my 2006 400h?

2) iPod Integration. Everyone keeps talking about satellite radio, but what about iPod integration. I have yet to see anything aftermarket that works reliable and isn't expensive. And if they do come out with someting, will installing it void my warranty. Lexus really dropped the ball on this one. Every major Luxury car maker has ipod/satellite radio integration. The tape adapter is annoying and takes away from the look of the interior.

3) I was on the Toyota.jp website looking at the Harrier Hybrid and it has a start button and proximity key technology. What's up with that? The Prius has it, why can we have it? Lexus is putting it on all their other cars.

4) Also on the Toyota.jp website, it appears that the Harrier comes has technology that will help you park the car using the backup camera. I didn't see that as an option when I bought my car.

5) I was annoyed with the Nav system not allowing you to input destination while driving until someone posted the hack. That hack has been awesome. I understand Lexus' legal concerns, but on long trip my wife likes to enter destinations while the car is moving. I don't understand why Lexus doesn't use the airbag weight sensor in the passenger seat to disable the restrictions. (AKA the passenger and not the driver is operating the Nav).

6) Last, I just noticed that when my fog lights are on, there is no indication on the dash. Is this normal. All my other cars had an icon to show you the fog lights are on.

I am done. Thanks for listening. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and think that it is the best option out there. You get a nice vehicle and good milage, along with some great acceleration. It is also great on long trip and short city driving. I will definatly buy another Lexus. . . That is if they put iPod integration in their cars.
Old 10-26-05, 09:30 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i had some of those same concerns, but i deemed them too minor to really get worked up.

but that nav thing really bugs the crap outta me.
Old 10-26-05, 12:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

it is fully electric, of course it spends a lot of energy so your engine will need to run more.

Huge benefit is almost instant heating and cooling as supposed to the traditional systems...

Your RX400h doesnt have backup camera? Camera is standard with NAV!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-05, 01:17 PM
KenLex41
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is fully electric, of course it spends a lot of energy so your engine will need to run more.

Huge benefit is almost instant heating and cooling as supposed to the traditional systems...

Your RX400h doesnt have backup camera? Camera is standard with NAV!!!!!!!
I have a backup camera. I was refering to the overlays you see on the japanese version when you are backing up. It looks like it actually parks the car for you. Here is the link:

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...avi/index.html

Scroll down a little and you will see what I am talking about. I wish I could read japanese

Thanks,
Old 10-27-05, 05:31 AM
SteveRX330
Rookie

A couple of feedback comments, but I'm not sure if they adequately address your concerns. First, I have the 2005 RX330 and so you may have to "adjust" my responses.

1. I've been working with my dealership to address the lack of coin holder. The 2006 RX330 has a coin holder. We've pulled it from the 06 and compared it with the 05 console. It appears to fit. The coin holder has a part number and we tried ordering it. Unfortunately, Lexus central parts distribution has no record of the part. They suggested that we take photographs of the part and part number, which my dealership's parts department did. We are awaiting their reply. I will post if and when we get resolution.

2. Precluding navigation/bluetooth input while the car is in motion is an unnecessary and out-dated restriction. My 2004 TL allows both inputs and stepping into my new 2005 RX330 was a huge disappointment. As Lexus "matures" I am confident they will remedy their shortsighted approach. Hopefully, if we exert enough pressure on Lexus they will retro the fix.

3. The lack of a fog light indicator on the dashboard is another example of how old the RX design is. Again my 2004 TL has this, as well as a host of other helpful dash indicators. Also notice that the RX does not illuminate the turn signal and wiper controls at night when the headlights are turned on.

4. The best option out there? Perhaps for the time being, but the Acura MDX, and soon to be released RDX, offer significantly better state of the art technology and presentation/layout.

Steve
Old 10-27-05, 06:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveRX330
A couple of feedback comments, but I'm not sure if they adequately address your concerns. First, I have the 2005 RX330 and so you may have to "adjust" my responses.

1. I've been working with my dealership to address the lack of coin holder. The 2006 RX330 has a coin holder. We've pulled it from the 06 and compared it with the 05 console. It appears to fit. The coin holder has a part number and we tried ordering it. Unfortunately, Lexus central parts distribution has no record of the part. They suggested that we take photographs of the part and part number, which my dealership's parts department did. We are awaiting their reply. I will post if and when we get resolution.

2. Precluding navigation/bluetooth input while the car is in motion is an unnecessary and out-dated restriction. My 2004 TL allows both inputs and stepping into my new 2005 RX330 was a huge disappointment. As Lexus "matures" I am confident they will remedy their shortsighted approach. Hopefully, if we exert enough pressure on Lexus they will retro the fix.

3. The lack of a fog light indicator on the dashboard is another example of how old the RX design is. Again my 2004 TL has this, as well as a host of other helpful dash indicators. Also notice that the RX does not illuminate the turn signal and wiper controls at night when the headlights are turned on.

4. The best option out there? Perhaps for the time being, but the Acura MDX, and soon to be released RDX, offer significantly better state of the art technology and presentation/layout.

Steve
Good luck at getting higher state of the art technology than RX400h.
Old 10-28-05, 10:56 AM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
Good luck at getting higher state of the art technology than RX400h.
At some point Lexus will undertake a major redesign of the RX (I read somewhere in this forum that this is rumored to be 2007). At that time they will have to pay closer attention to state of the art design and technology. The problem for now is that the car is selling so well there is little incentive for Lexus to expend resources tweaking each model year. Often times success leads to complacency, which in turn leads to lower market share, which leads to innovation, which leads to reestablishing market share.
Old 10-30-05, 09:53 AM
krpster
Rookie

Originally Posted by KenLex41
I have a backup camera. I was refering to the overlays you see on the japanese version when you are backing up. It looks like it actually parks the car for you. Here is the link.
This is a unique feature that many of Toyota's cars have in Japan (at least NAV equiped ones). The "overlays" are actually dynamic and project where the back of the car will end up based on current steering angle. As you move the wheel the "overlay" will move with it. Very cool! I spent alot of time playing with it the last time I was in Japan. Don't be mistaken though...it does not park the car for you, it just helps you figure out where you are headed in reverse.

I am not sure why they have not implemented it in north america, but I would imagine that it may have to do with legal liability. I can just see someone dinging another car in a parking lot because they are a total spaz and then blaming it on the car' s reverse camera projection system and then suing Toyota over it.
Old 10-30-05, 09:54 AM
krpster
Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveRX330
At some point Lexus will undertake a major redesign of the RX (I read somewhere in this forum that this is rumored to be 2007).
Don't count on it for '07. It is just an engine change. The majority of the car will be unchanged.
Old 10-30-05, 05:50 PM
Lexus_Jim
Driver School Candidate

Default Electric Heat - No way

I don't believe that the heater is electric. Why wouldn't they use the "free" heat from the engine. It would be a waste to drain the batteries providing heat when you already have hot water from the engine.

My engine runs in cold weather until it warms up and is able to provide heat for the enterior. Then it runs according to the normal Hybrid Programming.