RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 06:11 AM
aquatrax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinggolf,

Do you have the tow package but just didn't have the hitch? If not, did you buy the converter or did the lights just work? I too would like to install the hitch but as my '07 is used I don't know if it has the tow package. Does anyone know a way to check if the tow package is installed?

Thanks
Old 11-12-09, 05:44 PM
06WTRX400H
Driver School Candidate

I installed my OEM hitch about 2 months ago. I haven't used it yet but it was simple to install and I have had no problems. I hope to return with an update that says the lights on the trailer work perfect.... For now all I can say is my 06 RX400H has the tow hitch wiring installed from the factory. All I had to do was plug in the harness!!
Old 11-26-09, 09:24 PM
whirlygig
Driver School Candidate

I have just installed an OEM hitch and my lights did not work! I have searched and read about a driver module??? I also have posted a new thread hoping to find out what this is and does.
Why would Lexus install the plug, so you naturally plug in the harness you got with the hitch and find out they make it non-functioning from the factory?
The parts business and the nickel and dime stuff drives me nutts!
Old 12-24-09, 07:14 PM
06WTRX400H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whirlygig
I have just installed an OEM hitch and my lights did not work! I have searched and read about a driver module??? I also have posted a new thread hoping to find out what this is and does.
Why would Lexus install the plug, so you naturally plug in the harness you got with the hitch and find out they make it non-functioning from the factory?
The parts business and the nickel and dime stuff drives me nutts!
I finally used my hitch and harness!! It all worked perfectly!
Old 12-27-09, 12:06 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Quick question. I noticed most posters orderd their OEM hitch packages from lexuspartsonline.com? Sewel is one of CL's vendors and has anyone ordered from them? Or should I just order from lexuspartsonline? Only reason I am asking is that I have had good service from Sewel recommended from this site.
Old 03-22-10, 06:13 PM
ruxielk
Driver School Candidate

Default connecting 4 way flat molded connector

04 Lexus RX 330

The local Lexus dealer wanted $90 for the trailer wiring harness so I went out and purchased a 4 way flat molded universal harness $12 and connected it myself.

Follow Campbell's instructions and find the wiring harness in the rear compartment. The plug will have 4 wires - white(ground), Green(right turn/stop), yellow(left turn/stop), Blue(taillight/license/side marker. If you have a test light check them to verify the condition by clipping the alligator clip to a good grounding point on the chassis or to the white wire and then individually to each wire when in operating mode eg. green when signaling left or applying the brake.

Once you confirm working condition go ahead and make the connections, either splice into the wires using automotive wiring connectors or if you are handy at all simply solder to each wire the following:

Lexus plug white -- white ground 4-way connector

Lexus plug blue -- brown taillight/license/side marker 4-way connector

Lexus plug green -- green right turn signal/stop light 4 way connector

Lexus plug yellow -- yellow left turn signal/stop light 4 way connector

I didn't mount the plug to the hitch as corrosion tends to cause problems, simply drilled a hole in the left lower compartment and inserted a rubber grommet to protect the harness. When I connect the lights I extract the harness, make the connection and close the tailgate.

If you are unable to verify the working condition of the connection it may be possible the converter has not been installed. Thanks to Campbell for the excellent documentation. - cheers
Old 03-23-10, 07:57 AM
rocsrx350
Driver School Candidate

I am thinking of getting one, but the lexus dealer wants 400.00, must be gold plated, wtf
Old 03-25-10, 04:33 PM
wolfpack
Driver School Candidate

Bought mine from Sewell online. No problems, fast shipping, and a piece of cake to install!
I did notice the prices for the hitch have jumped up quite a bit lately.
Old 03-25-10, 05:14 PM
tlegend
Rookie

I got one of the Uhaul ones made by curt. have not installed it.. Planning on doing it soon.
Old 03-26-10, 10:21 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wanting one but I don't know if the hybrid model can tow anything since it has regen braking and such. I just want to pull a small motorcycle trailer.
Old 03-26-10, 01:11 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it has the same towing capacity
Old 03-29-10, 07:48 PM
rocsrx350
Driver School Candidate

I need the paer number for the harness, come on people please help me, nobody knows in pa the part number at the dealers, please help me. I write, and write and nobody ansewers my ???
Old 03-29-10, 10:33 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsrx350
I need the paer number for the harness, come on people please help me, nobody knows in pa the part number at the dealers, please help me. I write, and write and nobody ansewers my ???
My hitch came with harness, a Lexus/Toyota product. Check out various parts stores (e.g. :
http://www.factorylexusparts.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.lexuspartsonline.com/
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...08&catalogid=0
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par....asp?id=180654
http://www.lexuspartsmall.com/index.php
http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...cator&siteid=2)
or contact them with the question, or call a Lexus or Toyota dealer parts department.
Good luck!
Old 04-04-10, 06:10 AM
rocsrx350
Driver School Candidate

i looked, and no luck for the factory plug in harness for the hitch. I don't wanna hack up my wires with a pepboys one, anyone that has the factory harness please call me 267-884-5477
Old 04-06-10, 07:35 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mowmow
I thought it has the same towing capacity
I wasn't sure. I just don't want to jack up the hybrid system with the extra weight and I was concerned how it would work with the electric brakes.

Quick Reply: Lexus 3500Ib tow hitch