RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Loose foglights on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 09:35 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose foglights on RX330

Hey Guys, is it me or why is every RX330 foglights loose, and it doesn't feel secure in place, is there a reason for that? I took my RX to the dealer, and they showed me that everyone of the rx they has the same problem, i just wanted to know if it is bothering the hell out of ya, because it is bugging me to death.
Old 09-08-05, 10:29 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Default ....And Very Leaky Too...

While the looseness doesn't bother me, in and of itself, I have a problem that may or may not be related.

Every time I take my RX330 to the car wash (it's a hand wash...), the fog lights will ALWAYS get wet on the inside. I have to remove the bulbs for a few days to dry them out before securing the bulbs into the assemblies again.

I have had the light assemblies replaced once (without a single question from the dealer, which made me a little suspcious - like they must get the request all the time), thinking the issue was particular to my car, but as soon as I got the car washed again with the new assemblies, the fogs flooded again.

I believe that the bulb/light assembly seal is good, and that the water is penetrating from some other orifice in the assembly, but since I don't know how the fog assemblies attach to the bumper, I'm stumped.

I suspect that the looseness of the fogs in general, and my leaking issue are related.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 09-09-05, 11:05 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you saying the entire thing gets filled with water? that has never once happened to me...
Old 09-09-05, 12:13 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed mine were loose too. I figured I'd ask at the dealer next time I'm in...
Old 09-09-05, 01:16 PM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Ditto, mine are loose too.
Old 09-09-05, 07:26 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakaike
While the looseness doesn't bother me, in and of itself, I have a problem that may or may not be related.

Every time I take my RX330 to the car wash (it's a hand wash...), the fog lights will ALWAYS get wet on the inside. I have to remove the bulbs for a few days to dry them out before securing the bulbs into the assemblies again.

I have had the light assemblies replaced once (without a single question from the dealer, which made me a little suspcious - like they must get the request all the time), thinking the issue was particular to my car, but as soon as I got the car washed again with the new assemblies, the fogs flooded again.

I believe that the bulb/light assembly seal is good, and that the water is penetrating from some other orifice in the assembly, but since I don't know how the fog assemblies attach to the bumper, I'm stumped.

I suspect that the looseness of the fogs in general, and my leaking issue are related.

Any thoughts or ideas?
That has not happen to me yet, but every scence i change my foglight bulbs to the fuza purple, all of a sudden both of my foglights get water in them after i wash it. But i did have to have the dealer change my headlight assembly because my right headlight was getting water in it. Also does anybody notice that after awhile when the fogs have been on for a period of time it starts to get really hot, is this normal?
Old 09-10-05, 03:51 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
Hey Guys, is it me or why is every RX330 foglights loose, and it doesn't feel secure in place, is there a reason for that? I took my RX to the dealer, and they showed me that everyone of the rx they has the same problem, i just wanted to know if it is bothering the hell out of ya, because it is bugging me to death.
I posted this topic a while back and got the same responses... I couldn't figure out why they were so loose either!?! Oh well, as long as they don't rattle while driving!!
Old 09-10-05, 11:27 AM
sakaike
Rookie

It has not "filled" with water, but the insides get much more than "foggy condensation." The entire interior, including the lenses, build up with a great deal of moisture, like shower water. That moisture then runs down in rivulets and accumulates at the bottom of the assembly. I endured this for several months with the original assemblies, until the chrome inside became so rusted and discolored as to be unbearable. That is when the dealer swapped them out. But the same thing continues to occur.

During all this time, the bulbs continue to work, and like I said before, through inspection of the bulbs, and their associated rubber gaskets, I have no reason to believe that the water is penetrating through that opening. That leads me to conclude that there are possibly other holes in the assemblies, possibly used to secure the assemblies to the bumper, and when they are too loose, allow water to get in.

I am aware that all assmblies seem to be loose, but maybe I have a situation where the assemblies are too loose. Anyone with insights into the actual construction of these assemblies would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-05, 11:32 AM
sakaike
Rookie

My assemblies have gotten water in them with the stock bulbs, as well as with aftermarket ones. This is yet another reason why I think think the water penetration is coming from someplace other than the bulb hole.
Old 09-15-05, 05:36 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
Also does anybody notice that after awhile when the fogs have been on for a period of time it starts to get really hot, is this normal?
I use the fog lights all the time with the headlights. I haven't touched them myself to verify if they get hot or not, but I'm sure they do and it should be normal being that it uses a 9006 55W bulb which is the same as many lowbeam headlights.
Old 11-29-05, 07:11 PM
NYDesi80
Rookie

For you people who are getting condensation in your fog lamps after a car wash or even after a rainy period this is not normal. It means that the seal around your fog lamps aren't air tight (basically silicone) and this is a warranty item that the dealer should take care of. What will happen over tiem is that the silver lining of the fog lamp will start to corrode away and trust me, by then your warranty will be up.
Old 11-29-05, 10:04 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My foglights dont get water in them at all! I do keep my headlight/foglights on ALL the time while Im driving whether its daytime or not...(safety issue)

I think the lights are loose(rubber mounted) like that to keep them from vibrating, if they were to be rigid mounted? Helps with the shock of the road ect.....You never notice the lights shaking on the road though so its all good for me.
Old 11-30-05, 06:51 PM
SteveRX330
Rookie

The issue of loose and wet fog lights first appeared a while back. At that time I checked my new RX330 (delivered in August 2005) and found the following:

1. Mine are loose, too, but that doesn't really bother me ... a personal thing. I hasten to add that I'm pretty **** about my car and often there are things that bother me that most people aren't even aware of. But like I said, it's a personal thing.

2. During my next car wash I aimed the hose directly at the lights and really soaked them. There was no water, moisture or condensation inside the lights.

3. I just had the headlight kit installed two weeks ago and am curious as to whether my lights are still dry. It's been too cold to wash it, but hopefully I'll get some time this weekend.

Steve
Old 12-02-05, 01:21 PM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Additional feedback. I just finished detailing my car and deliberately concentrated the hose on the fog lights to try and reproduce other reported problems. Results: There were no signs of water of condensation inside the lenses.

Steve
Old 02-18-08, 06:45 PM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Both Headlight and Foglight

I have notice there are some condensation inside my headlight and foglight. Both on the right hand side. By morning the condensation became ice inside both headlight and foglight. Heading to Dealer this Wednesday.

Any having the same issue here?

Quick Reply: Loose foglights on RX330