RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Stolen headlights from RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 07:28 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New HID protection is pretty Hich Tech

We did an install of the new Lexus HID protection kit from Lexus yesterday. The Lights are no longer a snap to take out. In fact a theif would probably ruin the Lights during the theft. A sticker is placed on the light pod corner to signal that the lights are the new modified type. The coolest thing is that the lenses are painted with an epoxy paint that has very small data dots in it that are the size of a pepper grain. If recovered they can identify the correct owner of the lights. I was very impressed.

Some of the new protective films for the headlights are made from urethane and come with a $1,000 damage warranty. If it is cracked then it is covered.

I hope that the theives don't force the Doctor to sell his car. Get the new fix at the dealership at least. When Winter comes around the RX400h's superior VDIM might be a life saver for him and possibly his patients too. As Winston Churchill said: Never give up...never, never, never.
Old 08-17-05, 08:19 AM
teracon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Lexus alerting me to the theft issue on the RX's HID lights. The letter instructed me to set an appt. with my service dealer for the data-dots to be applied and an added anti-theft device. I dropped mine off this morning and they will keep it for 1-2 days.
Old 08-17-05, 09:35 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

is thi available for all lexus vehicles with HID i have a 98 ls and my lights were actually stolen last year they popped them right out and clipped the harness also i found a set after searching junkyards on the net the dealer was not an option $1200 each light and neither was insurance it would cost me more in the long run i ende up paying $750 for both i just had to fix the bracket on one but im thinking of just getting a new case
Old 08-17-05, 11:37 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will provide a loaner while the service is being done. However, there is a backorder on the kits. I was quoted a week's wait. It is free and Lexus does recommend it; especially if it is going to be parked in the city.
Old 08-17-05, 11:54 AM
russianmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
They will provide a loaner while the service is being done. However, there is a backorder on the kits. I was quoted a week's wait. It is free and Lexus does recommend it; especially if it is going to be parked in the city.
This fix is not available for the RX400h - only RX330s. I am unclear why it wouldn't work on both - the cars sure look similar enough.
Old 08-17-05, 12:02 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I just made the appointment for my RX400h. I want it done before I park this car in Queens! They know it is a 400h.
Old 08-21-05, 02:57 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Doctor give lexus a chance they will fix the problem or do what lexrex is doing because the rx330 has the same headlights. Or buy the halogen headlamps and use the hids in them like the 2001 to 2003 ls430 had.
Old 08-22-05, 04:00 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

In response to Rockville's post on installation of the HID theft prevention kit...

Can you tell us what is involved with installing the kit? Does the headlamp need to be removed from the vehicle. If so does the front bumper cover need to be removed as well? In order to install the kit does the outer lens of the headlite need to be removed? If the lens is removed, doesn't that break the factory seal? Have there been any issues with condensation forming or water getting inside after the fact?
I've had both headlites replaced due to condensation issues and I'm wondering if the installation of this kit will cause issues with that again.
Old 08-22-05, 07:36 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I don't really know the details. I know there is a covering on the lights, dots installed and new brackets to hold the lights. The service dept. is very efficient, but they estimated 2.5 hours and are providing a free loaner, so I imagine it is pretty involved. I think it is worthwhile to let Lexus do it.
Old 08-25-05, 06:56 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teracon
A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Lexus alerting me to the theft issue on the RX's HID lights. The letter instructed me to set an appt. with my service dealer for the data-dots to be applied and an added anti-theft device. I dropped mine off this morning and they will keep it for 1-2 days.
I received my letter last night.
Old 09-07-05, 09:31 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

The Lexus TSB takes about 2 hours. The mechanic removes the headlights and loosen the bumper cover just enough so they can squeeze in and install the brackets and paste the datadots.
Old 09-08-05, 03:24 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too still would like to know where these data dots are being placed and how exactly that will prevent theft. For example. We all realize that tehft of these HID headlights has little to do with them being RX330 headlights and needed for replacement. It has to do with the fact theives will take it apart and use or sell the projector itself. Having data dots behind the projector or on the side of the projector will do nothing to curb its appeal as those dots wont be visable unless someone is looking for it and totally examining the headlight. Having it on the casing is also uselsss that that would have been long destroyed and discarded. Putting it on the front of the projector would work as it would be visable with the proper equipment fron the font, but it doesn't sound like that is the case since that would require you to open up the casing. Being that this takes 2.5 hours I highly doubt that is going on here.
Old 09-08-05, 03:25 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs4to4
The Lexus TSB takes about 2 hours. The mechanic removes the headlights and loosen the bumper cover just enough so they can squeeze in and install the brackets and paste the datadots.
Pne question, if the data dots are just pasted on, what is to prevent a thief from just peeling it off?
Old 09-08-05, 06:08 AM
russianmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I just made the appointment for my RX400h. I want it done before I park this car in Queens! They know it is a 400h.
I just spoke with someone from Lexus's PR department (someone working under Bill Ussery). This woman said that the RX400h kit is 'in the works' and should be available within 30-45 days - so I am not sure how your dealership got around that, LexRex...
Old 09-08-05, 10:23 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russianmd
I just spoke with someone from Lexus's PR department (someone working under Bill Ussery). This woman said that the RX400h kit is 'in the works' and should be available within 30-45 days - so I am not sure how your dealership got around that, LexRex...
Russianmd - I've continued to moniotor this thread and am curious to learn whether you plan to give Lexus a chance to correct. This is a very interesting problem. I must say that although Lexus' response to your situation at the beginning seemed to leave much to be desired, they now appear to have taken full stock of the issue and are doing things more "Lexus-like". Please continue to keep us apprised.

Quick Reply: Stolen headlights from RX400h