RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Stolen headlights from RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 04:10 PM
uthorns197
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russianmd
I'd appreciate a note on what they do at the dealership. I just spoke to a lovely lady at WAAG who told me this was the first request for a grille guard for RX400h - so they don't have anything in the works yet.
A couple of weeks ago, I checked with WAAG about a center grille guard for the 400h. Response was that the center guard for the 330 will not work due to the changes for the hybrid.

I am interested in this as well since my brother wants to put a center guard on his 400h. I find it difficult to believe that Lexus would not permit doing so.

russianmd...You want to sell your 400h due to the theft of the headlights?? Is that the only reason??
Old 07-29-05, 09:34 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

From what i have heard that grill gaurds will case the impact of the airbags to not work right in case of an accident.
Old 07-30-05, 08:12 AM
russianmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uthorns197

russianmd...You want to sell your 400h due to the theft of the headlights?? Is that the only reason??
Pretty much - from what I understand, once the vandals have 'made' a car, they'll keep on hitting on it. And if this happens even one more time, my insurance company will drop me.

I can't afford to pay for a garage - plus it's f***ng inconvenient to have to walk 20-25 min each way to the car. What's the point of the car?

I like it a lot - but the fact that every time I leave it on the street it's such an easy target makes it a luxury I can do without.

People have asked about not buying Air Jordans because they were stolen a lot, or a Starter jacket b/c a kid was killed to get it. This is SO not the same - I can't simply buy a pair of keds and keep the RX400h in my apartment - this is not why I bought it.
Old 07-30-05, 08:22 AM
uthorns197
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
From what i have heard that grill gaurds will case the impact of the airbags to not work right in case of an accident.
Lexy...They have grille guards for the RX330. No problem there. The 400h airbag setup is different??
Old 07-30-05, 08:24 AM
uthorns197
Rookie

Pretty much - from what I understand, once the vandals have 'made' a car, they'll keep on hitting on it. And if this happens even one more time, my insurance company will drop me.

I can't afford to pay for a garage - plus it's f***ng inconvenient to have to walk 20-25 min each way to the car. What's the point of the car?

I like it a lot - but the fact that every time I leave it on the street it's such an easy target makes it a luxury I can do without.

People have asked about not buying Air Jordans because they were stolen a lot, or a Starter jacket b/c a kid was killed to get it. This is SO not the same - I can't simply buy a pair of keds and keep the RX400h in my apartment - this is not why I bought it.
russinamd...I think it's a darn shame that you have to dump your new vehicle, probably at a loss, due to theft or the threat of same. It's as if you are being held hostage.

Any idea what lower profile vehicle you will get?? What was your previous ride??
Old 08-01-05, 04:47 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do the same if I were in your shoes. How many miles do you have on your RX? The reason I ask is that if the mileage is a low number you may have some additional leverage to get the dealer to make you whole on the deal. Here's what I'm thinking - Lexus sold you a vehicle with a hidden defect (i.e., headlights that can be stolen so easily that the occurrence would be undetected by the vehicle's security system); Lexus knew about this defect when it sold you the vehicle, but didn't alert you to this fact so as to make you an informed buyer (so that you could have chosen another vehicle, or negotiated for a price that would consume your risk); once you became aware of the defect (due to the event it facilitates by design occurring), Lexus told you that self-help (installing a protective cover or guard) will invalidate your warranty. Inform the dealer that you are returning the vehicle because it violates an implied warranty of fitness for reasonable use. Actually, under these circumstances the number of miles on the vehicle is inconsequential.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-05, 05:48 PM
russianmd
Driver School Candidate

Default A few months too soon

Just read on another thread the following:

"-anti-theft headlamp added" - to the 2006 RX330. Why couldn't they do the same to the 2006 RX400h?

The car is finally ready - but I am going to go into arbitration with Lexus to get them to take the car back. I strongly feel (and others may continue to object) that this is a design flaw that makes the car an easy target - and actually profits the carmaker. Not did they get the sticker price from me on the car, the total repair bill is up to $8400 now...

I have previously owned: Chevrolet Cavalier station wagon (ah, college), Mazda 626 (had to learn how use a manual transmission), Toyota Camry coupe (before Solara came out), and the ever-dependable, but oh-so-boring Accord.

The Camry and Accord were both leases. Not sure what will get now - I want something of lower profile, but that's just as comfortable. Hard to think of other brands/cars that will come close.
Old 08-03-05, 07:34 PM
uthorns197
Rookie

"-anti-theft headlamp added" - to the 2006 RX330. Why couldn't they do the same to the 2006 RX400h?

The car is finally ready - but I am going to go into arbitration with Lexus to get them to take the car back. I strongly feel (and others may continue to object) that this is a design flaw that makes the car an easy target - and actually profits the carmaker. Not did they get the sticker price from me on the car, the total repair bill is up to $8400 now...

I have previously owned: Chevrolet Cavalier station wagon (ah, college), Mazda 626 (had to learn how use a manual transmission), Toyota Camry coupe (before Solara came out), and the ever-dependable, but oh-so-boring Accord.

The Camry and Accord were both leases. Not sure what will get now - I want something of lower profile, but that's just as comfortable. Hard to think of other brands/cars that will come close.
Good luck with the arbitration. Please post here when/if there is a resolution.
Old 08-03-05, 09:17 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

What a mess RussianMD.Damn Theifs. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
Regarding getting a new car the Highlander is basically the same as the RX.
While I hate the interior (too much plastic) It drives very much like an RX330.

BTW Did you check on the possibility of installing the non HID headlights? It might save you a lot of headaches. I'm not sure if they'll fit but it might be worth finding out.
Good Luck

Last edited by cantsleepnk; 08-03-05 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 04:52 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

In response to your "what to get now" question, I am seriously considering the new Subaru "Tribeca" as a "daily commuter" and bike transport vehicle. Right now I'm driving an `04 SC430, and my wife drives our `04 GX470. I have never driven my SC in the snow or snowy conditions (I trust myself, I don't trust other drivers); and after December 2005, my commute to work will become longer (my office is relocating from downtown D.C. to Virginia). So, I'm looking at the Tribeca to fill the bill. It's all-wheel drive, so bad weather should bot pose any problems. By the way, the other car I'm considering is the Toyota "Camry".

Good luck with your arbitration! I hope that you are successful.
Old 08-04-05, 11:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

jesus christ, if someone brakes into your house, are you going to sell the house and move away? I am feeling it for you dude, but I can not believe you are simply not willing to spend $300 on alarm that would protect your 50k car from front to back.

Its almost mind melting. I am not sure what would I get if I was you - 10-15yr old used cars are actually #1 stolen cars in the USA, due to thieves parting them out....
Old 08-04-05, 12:01 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
jesus christ, if someone brakes into your house, are you going to sell the house and move away? I am feeling it for you dude, but I can not believe you are simply not willing to spend $300 on alarm that would protect your 50k car from front to back.

Its almost mind melting. I am not sure what would I get if I was you - 10-15yr old used cars are actually #1 stolen cars in the USA, due to thieves parting them out....
[Please respect the fact that some of us on this forum may feel uncomfortable with you invoking deities.]

As to your point, it is my understanding that an alarm system is almost useless in this instance because the headlight units just pop out and that the deed can be accomplished in under a minute.
Old 08-04-05, 12:16 PM
russianmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf

SPWOLF, I appreciate your passion for alarms - but, I've found only one place that actually alarms the headlights (free plug: http://cartunes.com/). They are in Boston (I am in NY), and the cheapest installation is $699 - to alarm the headlights only.

Otherwise, as mentioned before, the alarms are useless - as stated by Lexus representatives themselves.

And if someone broke into my house, I would consider moving - or putting up bars on windows, getting a big dog, etc. None of these things are an option with this vehicle - which is why I think it's a defect - that the manufacturer is taking steps to correct, as evidenced by the 'up-grade kit' for the 2005 RX330 and 'theft-resistant' headlights for the 2006 RX330.
Old 08-04-05, 01:24 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that the manufacturer is taking steps to correct, as evidenced by the 'up-grade kit' for the 2005 RX330 and 'theft-resistant' headlights for the 2006 RX330.
I think we need to wait and see exactly what this is. It just says "Anti Theft headlights", but that could just mean the same as the VIN etched glass or body panels. Honestly, as long as the mounting tabs are made of breakable plastic, I don't see any real theft resistent method they can use. Things will make it harder, but like everyone keeps saying, a crowbar does wonders to pry out all sorts of things you want out quickly. The halogen light swap would probably solve a lot of the problem since they are not very desireable, but I personally couldn't live with HIDs so I'll live with the risk. Good luck to you though. You have plenty of other nice cars so having a daily work horse/beater should be just fine.
Old 08-11-05, 10:42 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Very unfortunate Urban reality

Security is a hot topic worldwide now and the boyz are out there looking for some trick HID's to light up the night. I have had only one instance on the RX330 in our area. The hood and quarter panels were damaged severely and the car spent a lot of time getting fixed. The GX470 doesn't have HID's so no worries there except I had one owner's LED center brake stolen while he was parked at an affluent shopping mall nearby in broad daylight. This required a lot of work to fix as the wiring harness had to be replaced. If you live or park in a high risk enviroment get the Lexus fix done! I agree with SPWolf and a supplementary alarm couldn't hurt either. As far as the sound systems in the Lexus go they are theft resistant not by start codes but by shape. They won't fit into the OEM slots of other cars so unless you already have a Lexus to begin with then they aren't attractive to theives. I can't remember having a stolen sound system in the last 5 years.

Just remember that numerous lawsuits end up costing everybody as the good Doctor is surely aware. A defect is a little different from a design flaw. A manufacturer should not be responsible for the action of those theives if they are diligent about countermeasures. It seems to me that they are trying to be accommodating and proactive about the problem. I have customers who would never take their car into Manhattan for instance even though the Nav system is enhanced for NYC. I had a customer parked in a Hilton secured parking garage in Jersey City and his Drivers door lock was holed out but the car wouldn't budge due to the security system. The Hilton had a big sign saying that they weren't responsible for any stolen items while parked. Hmmm. You won't find many lock cylinders on the trunks of our Sedans or they are hidden from prying eyes and levers. What is the answer? Eternal vigilance and engineering I guess. Here we have a defined need to fill and the market is large. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Stolen headlights from RX400h