RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How realiable are factory roof rack cross bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-05, 08:28 PM
emmydotnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How realiable are factory roof rack cross bars?

I bought a yakima bike rack and a set of 23H Mighty Mounts for my 2005 RX330. I installed the set on the factory installed roof rack cross bars. However, after mounting my mountain bike, I noticed that there is quite a play on the cross bars particulary where the cross bars mate with the fastening/locking mechanism on each end onto the roof rack. It does not give me a good feeling that it will hold the weight of the bike.

Has anyone used this setup on the RX330?

would appreciate your inputs.

emmy
Old 06-06-05, 11:08 AM
dms666
Rookie

I have only used the rack cross bars to install a Thule 1600 cargo box. For me, it's worked great, no complaints.
Old 06-06-05, 05:25 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no complaints either; i have the thule ski/snowboard pullout racks.

i know what you mean about the "play" on the sides, but i think they are pretty secure, because the crossbars lock into place at each notch, and cannot be moved without lifting the slide handle. i had yakimas on my old RX300, and those things were a lot scarier - you would have to twist the **** so tight, and even then, sometimes they would fly towards the back; scared the living daylight out of me going 80+ on highway! the old crossbar system didn't have the parallel support, and no notches to lock into.
Old 06-06-05, 09:41 PM
emmydotnet
Driver School Candidate

thank you both for your responses. Carrying a bike I guess is different because of the height, it appears less stable. At any rate I found that the looseness or play of the cross bars is mainly due to the spring loaded locking mechanism on one end ( passenger side), and secondarily due to the fact that the cross bars are not really fastened tightly on the rails but rather secured by being inside the rail channels and using pins on each end.

For peace of mind, I adjusted the spring loaded ends to max length, unscrewed the torx screws, added a washer and screwed the torx screw back tightly to prevent any movement. This resulted to a snug fit of the cross bars onto the rail channels and significantly reduced the movement or looseness even after loading a bike onto the bike rack....I think I am ok now...
Old 07-02-11, 01:01 PM
petroiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by emmydotnet
thank you both for your responses. Carrying a bike I guess is different because of the height, it appears less stable. At any rate I found that the looseness or play of the cross bars is mainly due to the spring loaded locking mechanism on one end ( passenger side), and secondarily due to the fact that the cross bars are not really fastened tightly on the rails but rather secured by being inside the rail channels and using pins on each end.

For peace of mind, I adjusted the spring loaded ends to max length, unscrewed the torx screws, added a washer and screwed the torx screw back tightly to prevent any movement. This resulted to a snug fit of the cross bars onto the rail channels and significantly reduced the movement or looseness even after loading a bike onto the bike rack....I think I am ok now...
How'd it go with your bike rack? I had the same play on my cross bar, and I am a bit hesitant to mount the bike rack to it. I took out the cross bar and I does have a bit of play in it, and only supported by the two torque screws. I was wondering how your bike racks turned out.

I know it has bee a while since you posted this, buth thanks!