RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Another 2005 rear wiper blade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 09:19 AM
jfarber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another 2005 rear wiper blade question

What size is the rear wiper blade and how can you replace it? I can't seem to get it to slide out!
Old 03-27-05, 10:00 AM
Grumpy
Driver School Candidate

I can't get it to raise up when I wash the rear glass. I too was wondering how to change the blade if the arm won't release and raise up. There must ba a release button.
Old 03-27-05, 05:01 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grumpy
I can't get it to raise up when I wash the rear glass. I too was wondering how to change the blade if the arm won't release and raise up. There must ba a release button.
Aaah, I brought this up as soon as I got my 330. The cover at the base of the wiper comes off; when you attempt to lift the arm up, you'll see a small plastic piece that stops the arm from raising up; I took a plyer and bent that sucker out (I honestly forgot what it looked like, but I know you'll see what to remove as soon as you remove the base cover). Now it can raise up just like the fronts and I can get the glass nice & clean!

Good luck; let me know if you have any questions and how it worked out for you.
Old 03-27-05, 05:24 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Aaah, I brought this up as soon as I got my 330. The cover at the base of the wiper comes off; when you attempt to lift the arm up, you'll see a small plastic piece that stops the arm from raising up; I took a plyer and bent that sucker out (I honestly forgot what it looked like, but I know you'll see what to remove as soon as you remove the base cover). Now it can raise up just like the fronts and I can get the glass nice & clean!

Good luck; let me know if you have any questions and how it worked out for you.

so ur "stopper" thingy is now gone forever that every time you lift it up, it will lift up all the way like the front ones?? I've always wondered how to lift that thing up on my GX (same thing for the rear wiper of the GX).
Old 03-27-05, 06:13 PM
Grumpy
Driver School Candidate

OK, OK, now I see, pulled the cover that's around the shaft off and it allows the arm to raise.
Thought about breaking off the plastic tab that locks the arm from raising, but left it on. It makes it a little more difficult to raise, have to pull the cover each time,but at least now I can clean that back window better.
Great...Great...Great!
Old 03-28-05, 02:57 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too poped my plastic stopper off soon after I got the car.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-28-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 06:47 AM
jfarber
Rookie

Isn't there a way to pop out the wiper blade without breaking or removing any plastic?
Old 03-28-05, 05:22 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a picture that can attach it here? I also, would like to know how to remove it.
Old 04-16-05, 04:23 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Thumbs up Now I Can Lift The Rear Wiper Just Like The Front Wipers

Hey guys I was very successful in doing it. I removed the base cover (spread the two sides then lift it up). The plastic tab that's preventing the wiper to be lifted up, because it's blocking the shaft on its way up is actually a part of that base cover. It's inside the cover. You could easily identify that plastic tab when the cover is removed. I cut it off nice and easy with a small and sharp kitchen knife, then I put the base cover back (snapped it in place). Binggo!! Now I can lift up the wiper for cleaning just like the front ones. Hope this helps you, guys.

Last edited by LEXMICK; 04-16-05 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-17-05, 06:33 PM
jfarber
Rookie

Is there any way to change the wiper without breaking anything? That seems weird.
Old 04-17-05, 08:42 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfarber
Is there any way to change the wiper without breaking anything? That seems weird.
i doubt it as it has a little "stopper" thing that hinders us from lifting up the wiper blade.
Old 04-18-05, 12:24 AM
LEXMICK
Rookie

There's no other way you can lift that wiper blade up (like the front ones) without cutting off the plastic tab or stopper inside the base cover (unless you don't put back the base cover which looks ugly). I don't know why it is designed that way, but that tab serves as a stopper preventing the wiper to be lifted up. The process of cutting that tab off is very easy and once done and you snapped the cover back into its place, the wiper looks the same as before. You would not even notice any change because the tab that you removed is inside the cover. The only difference now is that you can lift up the wiper for cleaning just like the front ones. The whole process took me only a couple of minutes. All you need is a small sharp knife or cutter so that you will have a smooth cut.
Old 04-18-05, 05:29 PM
RatherPlay
Driver School Candidate

You know, the engineers rarely do something without a reason. I'm thinking that plastic tab is to keep the wiper blade from lifting and flopping during high-speed driving. Lots of air flow back there. Will be interesting to hear if those that have removed the tab complain....
Old 04-18-05, 05:45 PM
Out2L8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RatherPlay
You know, the engineers rarely do something without a reason
You beat me to it!! That's exactly what I was thinking. A group of Japanese engineers constantly going over every single aspect of every minute detail, didn't leave the tabs in the design for no good reason! That's probably right - at higher speeds, or even in high wind conditions - might cause the rear blade to "flop" around on the rear window. Time will tell. But I am interested in trying it b/c not being able to lift the blade assembly away is just a pain!
Old 04-18-05, 07:12 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RatherPlay
You know, the engineers rarely do something without a reason. I'm thinking that plastic tab is to keep the wiper blade from lifting and flopping during high-speed driving. Lots of air flow back there. Will be interesting to hear if those that have removed the tab complain....
Trust me, the blade doesn't flop around. I've had no problems w/ the blade; wipes very clean even w/o the TSIB fix.

Quick Reply: Another 2005 rear wiper blade question