RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please help! Battery drain for 2005 RX330!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 10:43 AM
rehabdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery on my 2004 rx330 died 2 weeks post delivery. I had it replaced under warranty. One of many problems with the RX i posted earlier ( serious problems... what to do).
Old 01-15-17, 12:01 PM
aprealtor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Battery drain on my 2004 Lexus RX330 frustrating!! HELP!!!!

Just joined this medium to see if I can get some help. I have had a few battery replacements between November 2015 and January 2016 with a few dead battery issues between January and as recent as today (hence my search for answers!). I am stumped and now thinking of getting rid of my Lexus and permanently saying goodbye to ever owning another one! The battery company tells me the last battery was fine but replaced it anyway when they saw how frustrated I was. Now my car will leave me in parking lots and totally will not start if I don't drive it for a few days especially in the winter time. The car is always in a garage at my home. I do see a few problems online and saw something about a third brake bulb on another site. However, was not able to see all the details so it can help me. I am NOT mechanically inclined at all so things too complicated will go right over my head! My alternator is fine and NO, there are no lights left on or door ajar! HELP!!!
The following users liked this post:
mmlex1987 (02-09-23)
Old 01-15-17, 05:57 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by aprealtor
Just joined this medium to see if I can get some help. I have had a few battery replacements between November 2015 and January 2016 with a few dead battery issues between January and as recent as today (hence my search for answers!). I am stumped and now thinking of getting rid of my Lexus and permanently saying goodbye to ever owning another one! The battery company tells me the last battery was fine but replaced it anyway when they saw how frustrated I was. Now my car will leave me in parking lots and totally will not start if I don't drive it for a few days especially in the winter time. The car is always in a garage at my home. I do see a few problems online and saw something about a third brake bulb on another site. However, was not able to see all the details so it can help me. I am NOT mechanically inclined at all so things too complicated will go right over my head! My alternator is fine and NO, there are no lights left on or door ajar! HELP!!!
What kind of battery are you using? Are the battery connection clean and clear of corrosion and buildup? Is the chassis ground clean and making good contact?

Also, are you keeping the headlights and windshield wipers in the "auto" position even when the car is off? This has been a problem for me in the past with my previous Toyota's and I've stopped doing that.
Old 01-16-17, 02:24 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The Battery has to be of quality considering the fact Lexus vehicles are super well equipped with options which are demanding for current. Short trips are also tougher on a battery, especially in winter. If you are not mechanically inclined, hopefully you have a reliable honest mechanic to perform a Parasitic Draw Test. This test will pinpoint why & where the current draw is. I been through that with a much less equipped with options vehicle in the past, the battery would drain in less than 12 hours. I found the draw easily with a $15. Multimeter & solved the problem.
Old 01-19-17, 10:49 PM
aprealtor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
What kind of battery are you using? Are the battery connection clean and clear of corrosion and buildup? Is the chassis ground clean and making good contact?

Also, are you keeping the headlights and windshield wipers in the "auto" position even when the car is off? This has been a problem for me in the past with my previous Toyota's and I've stopped doing that.

I do keep my head lights and wipers on 'Auto'. Been doing this ever since because I forget to turn them on! What's the point in having the feature anyway and not able to use them? It would mean Lexus should up the size of the required battery then!

UPDATE: Took the car to Lexus and a diagnostic was done. The battery did fail so now I have another new one! Only time will tell!! Was told everything else was fine. Keep you posted....
Old 01-22-17, 01:35 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by aprealtor
I do keep my head lights and wipers on 'Auto'. Been doing this ever since because I forget to turn them on! What's the point in having the feature anyway and not able to use them? It would mean Lexus should up the size of the required battery then!

UPDATE: Took the car to Lexus and a diagnostic was done. The battery did fail so now I have another new one! Only time will tell!! Was told everything else was fine. Keep you posted....
As I mentioned in my previous post the issue for my Batteries was a Parasitic Draw, what I didn't mention is I went through 3 Batteries because the outfit whom warranted the Batteries couldn't or didn't want to bother to figure it out, figured installing a new Battery was less trouble.
They installed a 3rd Battery, the best money can buy at cost...
hoping I will stay out of their face for a longer period of time.
It took more time, but I was right back to zero again, there were no issues with the Batteries to start with. The issue was a Parasitic Draw which I was finally pleased to find myself & repair.
Not saying that is the issue in your case although when you get to 3 or 4 Batteries replaced, it's probably time to start to insist to look elsewhere for the issue.
Old 04-27-20, 05:54 PM
jsb257
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Likely suspects in rx330 parasitic draw

Hi
Seems to me the best direction this conversation could go would be to identify the likely culprits in causing this parasitic draw in a RX 330. Once I have determined I have this draw, it is a little more challenging to find the actual cause. A list of circuits and devices that have failed or shorted for others with a be good starting point for this challenge. But since such conversation is not here, I must continue with my fuse pulling.

Last edited by jsb257; 04-27-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 09:53 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Or a door might be ajar, which leaves the dome light on.
dont mean to hijack the post but i just noticed your pic of the odometer at 150,000 miles. Im not that far away as mine is at 143,000 and change miles thus far and this is on a 07 rx350.