RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Why I traded in my 04 RX330 for an 05 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 09:47 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I traded in my 04 RX330 for an 05 GX470

For you RX330 owners out there that are thinking about moving up to a GX470, read on:

I want to make clear first that my trade up to a GX470 was not practical. I only had 17K miles on my 04 RX330 and it was solid as a rock (first ones off the line from Japan), so I am not advocating to trade in your RX330s as a pratical move.

Simply said the RX330 does it all very well! This current generation is sportier and looks great. I enjoyed this vehicle. However I needed more interior space, wanted a more rugged vehicle still with 4WD / AWD and like all guys, always wanted more power and better handling (the handling of the RX330 should be better since it rides like a car, but I always felt that it was still too cushy).

The RX330s engine is a good engine for this vehicle, however to me it still didn't feel quick or powerful enough and seemed to be working hard when accelerating. The 05 GX470 with the 270HP V8 is a smooth and refined engine that launches you out of your seat. The GX spec wise is not signifiantly larger than the RX, but you do notice the difference from the exterior and interior.

In a nutshell the upgraded V8 in the 05GX, as well as some other features (new nav, bluetooth, etc..) made me drool for it. The GX is big pimpin!

If you are thinking about a GX in the near future, feel free to ask me any questions. Thanks!
Old 01-13-05, 01:09 AM
wogey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexguynj
For you RX330 owners out there that are thinking about moving up to a GX470, read on:

I want to make clear first that my trade up to a GX470 was not practical. I only had 17K miles on my 04 RX330 and it was solid as a rock (first ones off the line from Japan), so I am not advocating to trade in your RX330s as a pratical move.

Simply said the RX330 does it all very well! This current generation is sportier and looks great. I enjoyed this vehicle. However I needed more interior space, wanted a more rugged vehicle still with 4WD / AWD and like all guys, always wanted more power and better handling (the handling of the RX330 should be better since it rides like a car, but I always felt that it was still too cushy).

The RX330s engine is a good engine for this vehicle, however to me it still didn't feel quick or powerful enough and seemed to be working hard when accelerating. The 05 GX470 with the 270HP V8 is a smooth and refined engine that launches you out of your seat. The GX spec wise is not signifiantly larger than the RX, but you do notice the difference from the exterior and interior.

In a nutshell the upgraded V8 in the 05GX, as well as some other features (new nav, bluetooth, etc..) made me drool for it. The GX is big pimpin!

If you are thinking about a GX in the near future, feel free to ask me any questions. Thanks!
Keep us up to date in regards with your new GX. I honestly hope you will be happier with your new GX. I am interested to know after awhile if you will get the driveline vibrations or the famous GX clunk when you come to stops.
Old 01-13-05, 11:21 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wogey
Keep us up to date in regards with your new GX. I honestly hope you will be happier with your new GX. I am interested to know after awhile if you will get the driveline vibrations or the famous GX clunk when you come to stops.
I have seen this issue on the GX470 forums next door and will keep an eye out for it, however so far everything is smooth (knock on wood)!
Old 01-13-05, 03:07 PM
SprocketS
Driver School Candidate

Default I am GREEN with envy!

Lexguynj - You ROCK. You have done exactly what I have been yearning to do since the first month I had my RX. Great vehicle - but I made a hasty choice, my own fault, and the RX is just not "right" for me.

When I took the '04 RX in for the 5,000 mile service and to fix some squeaks and rattles, the dealer gave me a GX loaner and I was SOLD. Same feeling as you - the silky smooth V8, extra ROOM, voice-activated Nav, etc.

I worked with a salesperson on three separate occasions until December to Remember rates came up, and she could get me into a GX within my price range - hooray! But then, the day I was slated to come in and sign the deal, they called with a "computer error" of $5,000 and the deal was dead.

I've found a buyer for the RX now, and I'm working with a broker to get out of the lease and move on! Wish you the best with the new ride - I'm so jealous!!!
Old 01-13-05, 03:14 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Let's be honest. You wanted the GX because it's more of a man's vehicle and my RX330 appeals more to teh ladies. It's OK, even Lexus has admitted the RX was designed more with wives in mind.
Old 01-13-05, 04:04 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jaydunn
Let's be honest. You wanted the GX because it's more of a man's vehicle and my RX330 appeals more to teh ladies. It's OK, even Lexus has admitted the RX was designed more with wives in mind.
You know I want to deny this right off the bat, but in the back of my mind I am thinking that you are correct. The RX330 is sportier though than the old RX300. I wouldn't have considered the RX300, but did desire the RX330 when it first came out.

Me needs more MANLY TRUCK?!
Old 01-13-05, 04:07 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SprocketS
Lexguynj - You ROCK. You have done exactly what I have been yearning to do since the first month I had my RX. Great vehicle - but I made a hasty choice, my own fault, and the RX is just not "right" for me.

When I took the '04 RX in for the 5,000 mile service and to fix some squeaks and rattles, the dealer gave me a GX loaner and I was SOLD. Same feeling as you - the silky smooth V8, extra ROOM, voice-activated Nav, etc.

I worked with a salesperson on three separate occasions until December to Remember rates came up, and she could get me into a GX within my price range - hooray! But then, the day I was slated to come in and sign the deal, they called with a "computer error" of $5,000 and the deal was dead.

I've found a buyer for the RX now, and I'm working with a broker to get out of the lease and move on! Wish you the best with the new ride - I'm so jealous!!!
Hey SproketS, sorry your deal did not work out. That sucks. But your time will come and it's just matter of patience. I think you said it correctly, the RX330 is great, but just not for me (maybe it's a testosterone thing).

You will be in your new GX in no time and can shoot for a 05 now with the upgraded V8! Keep me updated!
Old 01-13-05, 09:12 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im sure thats a very niced upgrade! The one thing that kills me is there is NO Xeons offered on the GX?? Why the hell not, and its not because it sits too high blah...blah....blah.....The Escalade, Navigator and the baby aviator, andToureq(sp) just to name a few have them.

Me personally I will not get another vehicle without hids! No hids no deal. I l love them lights
Old 01-14-05, 12:23 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=jaydunn]Let's be honest. You wanted the GX because it's more of a man's vehicle and my RX330 appeals more to teh ladies. QUOTE]

I don't think so.
Old 01-14-05, 01:01 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 RX out - 04 GX In

That is EXACTLY what I did, traded my 88 day old RX with 4700 miles on it for the GX. It has been two months and I don't regret it one bit.

No, it was not the most economical thing I have ever done but I feel safe and sound again, much like I felt with the LX before it was retired.

Old 01-14-05, 02:55 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gx470atl
That is EXACTLY what I did, traded my 88 day old RX with 4700 miles on it for the GX. It has been two months and I don't regret it one bit.

No, it was not the most economical thing I have ever done but I feel safe and sound again, much like I felt with the LX before it was retired.

Wow only 88 Days old! You broke the record!

It took me 1 year and 3 months and that still bothered me that I was trading in mine so soon since it was not practical and although I like to change cars, this one was too soon. However I still felt I had to do it. These 2 vehicles are just too different and although both great in it's own sense, appeals to different people.

You can't jump from a monster of a truck like a LX to a RX!
Old 01-14-05, 02:56 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Im sure thats a very niced upgrade! The one thing that kills me is there is NO Xeons offered on the GX?? Why the hell not, and its not because it sits too high blah...blah....blah.....The Escalade, Navigator and the baby aviator, andToureq(sp) just to name a few have them.

Me personally I will not get another vehicle without hids! No hids no deal. I l love them lights
I hear you on that one. All the rest of my vehicles have HIDS / XEONS and I love them, but to tell you the truth the GX without Xeons are actually quite good and the illumination in the front is very good.
Old 01-14-05, 02:57 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drive line clunk

Not sure if this applies to the GX, but on Tundras (I had one before my RX-330) a clunk in the drive line after stopping is caused by lack of grease in the splined slip-joint in the rear driveshaft. Pump it full of grease through the Zerk fitting, I used Mobil 1, and problem solved for about a year until the grease worked out. Since Toyota tends to share design and parts among the truck chassis lines, this may be the answer for the GX.
Oliver
Old 01-15-05, 09:53 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default Mpg?

lexguynj or any other GX owners.....how has your gas mileage been?

My RX330 has delivered MPG as advertised...which is Good for an SUV.

I've been considering the GX so I could (on occassion of course) use that 3rd row. But its the gas mileage that makes me think twice. Gas prices will only go up, and my tree-hugging friend will frown on me for getting a V8.
Old 01-15-05, 10:07 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blue_rx330
lexguynj or any other GX owners.....how has your gas mileage been?

My RX330 has delivered MPG as advertised...which is Good for an SUV.

I've been considering the GX so I could (on occassion of course) use that 3rd row. But its the gas mileage that makes me think twice. Gas prices will only go up, and my tree-hugging friend will frown on me for getting a V8.
The Gas Mileage is not the best, however due to gas tank is large, you don't feel like you are filling up on gas and gas is just guzzling away. I will report more once I fill up on for the first time soon. Still running on the first tank of gas and I am sure I am going to pay for it!

I won't use my 3rd row seating often, but it's more of a mandatory option in the GX, since most GX's come loaded with everything. I can see myself using the 3rd row for friends, family and the kids. It's also very easy to remove and install. However I have to say it's also an expensive option at around $2K extra, but if you get to use it often, it will be worth it.

Quick Reply: Why I traded in my 04 RX330 for an 05 GX470