RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thule/Yakima roof racks on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 06:58 PM
bioart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thule/Yakima roof racks on RX330

Arghh!

I'm replacing my 300 with a 330 on Saturday and I just found out that the nice roof rack I had for my 300 won't fit on the 330. I can appreciate the nicer rack and less noise, but there is nothing out there that looks good on the new rack. I originally had the yakima and it didnt quite fit the 300, so I got the thule which nicely fit into the rack rails... now I need to spend another 200 bucks ARGHH!!!!!

Any ideas? neither fits well on my wife's Rav4 either, so I may be ebaying all of them... (at least the bottom sets, hopefully I can use the actual bike carriers)

Art
Old 05-24-04, 08:14 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the exact same problem when i upgraded - i had Yakima Big Powderhound racks for snowboards and then realized the roof rack clamps would not fit, AND Yakima had not come out with factory clamps to fit the 330.

given that i was leaving the next day for mammoth, CA, i had no choice but to buy Thule's fat mouth clamps and the sliding ski/snowboard racks. to tell you the truth, the investment was worth it - the thule racks and clamps sit higher up than the yakimas which helps reduce the annoying whistling noise i used to get with the Yakimas. they also allowed for an add'l 4-5 inches of much-needed binding clearance.

the thules also look pretty sharp on the 330 (thules are silver/black and my 330 is silver/black)