RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Comfortable seats in RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 02:15 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amen on 2 and 3 and also

the comments regarding the seat "shortness". Virtually no thigh support, they should have a power thigh extension like in my BMW. Also there is no bolster so to speak of to keep you more firmly in place when cornering etc. Also, the seat material is "sticky" in that you don't just slide in and out which may be their way of making up for the lack of a side bolster.
Old 07-19-06, 03:31 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by rx330_ca
I'm 5' 11" and I find these seats extremely unconfortable. Probably the most uncomfortable I've ever driven in. There's just not enough leg support,
the seat is too short compared to european cars (My other car is an Audi A6, had Volvo 960 before the RX330). Also, the thickness of the seat is far too tall. It doesn't go down far enough,
and definitely not enough upper thoracic support. Arm rest is too high. I get tired after just one hour of driving.

i hear what you are saying. i am only 5'11" and could not get comfortable. the seat cushion was too short and the front edge didn't tilt up high enough. we really wanted to buy the lexus but the mdx seats were much deeper and the front edge of the cushion tilted up much higher. so we went ahead with the mdx after we realized we would spend about $700-1200 retrofitting the seat without any assurance it would work out for us.
Old 07-19-06, 03:39 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me, the seats are not uncomfortable but definately not as comfortable or supportive as my other car. I don't expect much from an SUV seat though so I kind of chalk it up to being the nature of the beast. The RX wasn't desgined to be sporty and most buyers don't want it to be sporty.
Old 07-19-06, 03:51 PM
srashid
Driver

Todd, I agree with your comments about the thigh support and the 'sticky' leather when sliding in. I'm glad someone else noticed that too.

My previous car was a Merc ML which had excellent seats, but the RX is superior in most ways so I can live with this.

I think the test of a good car seat is if you find you hardly ever adjust it after initial setting. On the RX I fiddle with it all the time. Lucky Lexus didn't put in an override while the car is moving like they did on everything else!
Old 07-19-06, 05:18 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Guess I'm pretty lucky that I'm only 5' 7". These seats are perfect for me. Just the right bolster, just the right armrest height, just the right thigh support and I find them very comfortable hour after hour, day after day as I travel across the country. I personally like these seats better than my old BMW, Honda and Toyotas. These seats seem like they were made for me and I have no need to fiddle with them ever. Funny what a difference it makes to be 4 inches shorter.
Old 07-20-06, 10:57 AM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

i am 6 feet and also don't like the seat. there is not enough leg support. my wife who is 5.5 says the seat fits her perfectly. and, btw, the seat is ranked very high in JD Power - go figure.

i tried a modification. i took out the two bolts holding the front of the seat to the body. i placed 5 washers inbetween the seat rail and the body which lifted the front section of the seat higher. this made a huge difference in leg support (to me).

i changed it back, however. the current bolts are not long enough to handle the 5 washers. they are a fine pitch thread and i have been unable to find longer ones. also, i am a little concerned about side airbag placement and seat strength in a collision. i can't imagine it but i can see my insurance company find the modification after an accident and claim tampering to refuse a payout. maybe i am being paranoid.

try the mod yourself to see if it makes a diff.
Old 11-18-07, 10:54 AM
TRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fastenator
also... i didn't like the way the new headrests tilt in the 330 - from below and not from the top like the RX300 - and once tilted they are too easy to move like someone else had mentioned. the problem was solved when we installed the epic headrest monitors. they tilt like the RX300.
What is an "epic headrest monitor"?
Old 11-18-07, 11:20 AM
grouch
Driver

I too believe that the seats need more up & down adjustment range. At 5'14" I need more thigh support. Maybe similar to a prior owned (no name) car that had a pull out, adjustable thigh support built into the seat bottom.

FYI: I saw a RX on a car lot that had stains on the seat where the drivers legs go. Apparently certain dyed clothing, like Levis, color transfer to the leather. I understand that Lexus will replace them if it's still under warr.
Old 11-18-07, 02:28 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

Default headrest monitor

What is an "epic headrest monitor"?

hopefully my pic is attached. the monitor comes already assembled to a new headrest and the headrest pivot is better (for me) than stock.
Attached Thumbnails Comfortable seats in RX330?-car-dvd-1.jpg  
Old 11-18-07, 02:35 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grouch
FYI: I saw a RX on a car lot that had stains on the seat where the drivers legs go. Apparently certain dyed clothing, like Levis, color transfer to the leather. I understand that Lexus will replace them if it's still under warr.
It might be that some leather treatments or conditioners will pull the dye out of some fabrics. I had the opposite happen to me with my 3/4-ton Suburban some years back. A detailer put something on the (heavy duty vinyl) seats that leached the color (bright red) out and into the back of a really nice white Egyptian cotton shirt - turning the back of the shirt a hot pink. Nothing - but NOTHING would take out the stain. I've never had that happen on any other car. Kiss off one pricey shirt.
Old 11-18-07, 02:43 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After a long work session I had my wife drive me to a client meeting about an hour across town last week. I didn't think I would be able to stay awake, having put in about 28 of the last 30 hours trying to make deadline. For the first time in a long time I hopped into the passenger seat and found myself jammed against the ceiling.

That passenger seat is WAY too high - by about 2". Reclining the seat helps, but stylin' in full barrio mode lying on the back of my neck just isn't my thing. I wonder if there is a way of bringing it down, short of a lot of panel beating on the floorpan?
Old 05-05-12, 11:57 PM
jackoo
Driver School Candidate

Default You're totally Right Lexus 2004 RX 330 Seats Suck

I'm 6 feet tall and just bought a 04 Lexus rx 330 because my dad has an rx 300 that had incredibly comfortable seats and the 04 330 killing me! The seats are exactly as described by the other 6 footers in this thread. There's very poor thoracic support and the lumbar fills much too high on my back and the arm rest puts my right arm into my ear leaving that side of my neck completely sore after less than 20 minutes. The car only has 68k on it and I can already feel there's almost no thoracic support when I push into the centre of the seat. The seat is also much too high, I'm constantly dropping my head to get in the middle of the windshield for vision and out of the blue strip tint across the top of the windshield. My hair touches the top of the ceiling and I had a clk 320 mercedes sports car before this that had more headroom. I'm going to take this seat apart and have a go at re-padding or something because I drive a lot for work.
Old 05-07-12, 08:53 PM
jconst6558
Driver School Candidate

I'm 5-8 and an ex weight lifter. I hated the seats for the first 6 months we had the car. We came from a Mercedes and they have the best seats I've ever experienced for my build. We had some custom sheepskins covers made and that has helped a LOT. Not perfect but much better.imo.