RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 04:26 PM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitch Question

U-Haul has a hitch for a 2004 RX330, $200.00 installed. I looked it over and it looks good. The U-Haul people said that Lexus would have to install the wiring pigtail because they were afraid it might harm the computer. Also the wiring harness is a Lexus only part. So I called the Lexus service dept., they told me that they couldn't get the harness unless I got the hitch. They said it all came together and not seperate. This didn't sound right to me. Any comment or advice?
Best Regards....................Bob
Old 03-18-04, 08:38 AM
redgs400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wiring harness p/n

I'm having the same adventure you are. I posted a similar thread a couple weeks ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=112235

The part number for the wiring harness is 08942-48870-BB. Both trs23 and I have verified this. It took about four days for my local Lexus dealer to get it in. Cost is around $41 - $48. From what I've read, installation is a bit tedious since you have to pull out the underfloor bins et al in the back to install it.

I'm currently searching for a hitch. Draw-Tite (p/n 75153) is backordered at their factory with a four to six week wait. Their initial run of about 300 hitches sold out in a few days. I'm at the point of trying U-Haul (groan). A fitted hitch should not require any drilling; the ones I've seen use the six bolt holes on the bottom rear of the frame where the two towing eyelets are located. Installation is relatively easy if you have a socket wrench and a torque wrench. A floor jack is suppose to be helpful in holding the receiver in place while you bolt it into place. From what I heard, the wiring harness is the majority of the time involved.
Old 03-18-04, 09:13 AM
WJBOSWELL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Hitch

I purchased the Hidden Hitch #87778 from hitchesforless.com for about $129 delivered. Installation took about 20 minutes. Since I am not using it for a trailer, just a bike rack, I didn't worry about the wiring issues.

Although it says Hidden Hitch it is not very hidden. My wife asked me to take it off until the summer when we are transporting bikes. Until then it was just a bit too big and ugly looking to leave on all the time.
Old 03-18-04, 11:04 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

What is the price of he Lexus hitch?
Old 03-18-04, 12:43 PM
trs23
Driver School Candidate

Lexus hitch Part no: PT22848035 is $240 from my dealer here in chicago.

This includes the hitch / wiring harness and cover for the receiver hole.
Old 03-18-04, 01:21 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Exclamation Lexus hitch is rated to 2000 lbs

Keep in mind that the Lexus hitch is rated to 2000 lbs. If that fits your needs, then it's probably the least-hassle solution. That's the main reason why I went with a third party hitch--I need to tow more about once a year.

Update on my part: I'll eliminate all the strange things that have happened in this adventure to get a hitch receiver , but I now have a Draw-Tite 75153 hitch in the trunk of my car. Somehow this one garage-shop (literally) hitch shop managed to get one for me...
Old 03-18-04, 02:23 PM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Thanks to everyone for your comments. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Best Regards..........Bob
Old 03-18-04, 02:46 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Exclamation Tow prep package

Note: that wiring harness corresponding to the part number I mentioned is only applicable if you have the factory-installed "tow prep' package" option, in which case the pigtail end is under one of the rear compartment storage bins. Otherwise you're in for MUCH more work to get a trailer wiring harness in.

Also note that without the factory "tow prep' package", the RX330 is rated to tow up to only 2000 lbs.
Old 03-18-04, 04:08 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Thumbs up Stop the presses!

Just got a call from the parts guy at our Lexus dealership (hey, how's that for personal service?):

He noticed that Lexus now offers a 3500 lb hitch receiver kit for the RX330. Part number is PT22848045. It includes the wiring harness, and retails for $285.

I haven't verified all of this, but if you are in the hunt for a 3500 lb hitch receiver for your RX330, this is worth investigating.

Of course I find all this out four hours after picking up a Draw-Tite hitch receiver. Then again, I'm about $100 ahead of the Lexus solution, although the Lexus kit may be a cleaner installation.
Old 03-19-04, 11:19 AM
JRB
Pole Position

Default Re: Stop the presses!

Originally posted by redgs400
Lexus now offers a 3500 lb hitch receiver kit for the RX330. Part number is PT22848045. It includes the wiring harness, and retails for $285.
Any idea how much labor might be for the installation?
Old 03-19-04, 04:46 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Default Installation estimate

I believe I was quoted something like $120 for the 2000 lb Lexus hitch kit. From what I've heard, attaching the hitch is easy. It's digging under the rear floor bins to install the wiring harness that's the worse of it.

I'll find out this weekend: the hitch goes on tonight. I'll have to do a little more studying to install the wiring harness. I did bite the bullet and get the four volumes of shop manuals (three main, one electrical). Ouch!

. BTW kudos to Eli at Lexus of Portland (Oregon) for keeping me in mind when he discovered the 3500 lb hitch kit. No wonder they've won the Elite of Lexus award so many years in a row.
Old 03-19-04, 10:37 PM
JRB
Pole Position

One more question - do you know what the receiver opening size is on the two different hitches? Assume the 3500 lb one is the larger 2" x 2" size?
Old 03-20-04, 06:39 AM
redgs400
Rookie

Default Receiver size

No, I don't know what the receiver size is. Best bet may be to arm yourself with the kit part numbers and give your favorite Lexus Parts Department a call.

The Draw-Tite 75153 I bought has a 2" receiver on it. It's a beefy and impressive piece of hardware, weighing 35 lbs. I installed it last night in about 45 minutes with 14 and 17 mm sockets from my ratchet wrench set, a 14 mm open-end/box wrench, a torque wrench, safety goggles, and a floor jack with a 6' 2x12 on the pad to hold the hitch in place while I drove the bolts in.

Ironically the most difficult part was removing the rear tow eyelets; the factory tightened them so tight that it took a lot of muscle, hammering, and leveraging to get the bolts out.

Also: the aforementioned wiring harness (08942-48870-BB) is the completely-assemble wiring assembly, including the grommet to pass through the floorpan, prepositioned clips to attach the wiring harness (to what, I haven't figured out), to the standard four-pin trailer lighting plug, which is attached to a mounting bracket. I haven't installed this part of the job yet.

If there's interest in what the Draw-Tite looks like, I'll post a photo. It's pretty clean, although the hitch has to reach around the exhaust pipe to clear it.
Old 03-20-04, 04:58 PM
trs23
Driver School Candidate

The 2000# hitch has a 2x2" receiver confirmed on another place i read.

I would love to see pictures of the drawtite and your install of the trailer wiring harness. I took the center cargo tray out and looked around.. I saw the grommet but had trouble locating the plugin for the trailer wiring harness.

I saw one on the passenger side of the car all the way in the back and it looked like the right connector. I just wanted to make sure it was the one.
Old 03-22-04, 10:29 AM
nodefect
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 330 2000 Lexus Tow Hitch

Just got a quote for a 2000# Lexus hitch for $265.00 plus $150.00 labor(2 hrs). The part is in stock and they are installing as we speak during my 7500 mile service. I am sure this is a bit too high, but I need this thing asap and I do not want to risk an aftermarket version looking crappy. They told me there is no way I can install this myself, does anyone have an opinion on that? I already have the pre-installled tow package. What a joke! They charge us for an incomplete towing package, then hit us again for the hitch.

This is being done in the Chicago area.

Quick Reply: Hitch Question