RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 05:23 PM
Lightguide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oseidler
Unfortunately this forum will not let me upload the Hitch instructions. The PDF file is about 3.6 meg. If you cannot get them from the dealer, contact me and I'll see if I can email them directly to you.
Oliver
Oliver,

Thx for the fast reply. I tried to PM you, but your forum settings block PMs. If you wouldn't mind, please email me the installation instructions PDF to stevebowen@earthlink.net (I can't find the instructions on the Lexus website, and my dealer is playing--or is--dumb, and is offering to do the installation for $200.00).

Thx much.
Old 01-24-05, 08:04 PM
jazzsax
Driver School Candidate

Just in case his doesn't get to you, I emailed scanned jpg of the instructions I got on mine. Mine were inside the plastic wrap containing the screws in the inner box. I haven't put mine on yet. Waiting for it to get warmer!
Old 03-01-05, 07:58 PM
jayjay
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus hitch & dynamic laser cruise control

I have a 2005 RX330 with dynamic laser cruise control. This is not available with hitch/tow package...I'm not sure why. Anyone know?

I primarily need hitch for a bike rack, so I ordered a Lexus hitch. This came with wiring harness but not the converter or ball. Although not essential, it would be nice to have wiring harness installed at the outset in case I need to do light towing in the future. From what I hear, I'll need convertor to connect wiring harness to car. Any reason I can't do this on RX330 with dynamic laser cruise control? Of course, I don't expect to turn on cruise control when doing towing of any kind.

Can I get a Lexus dealer to do this installation? Toyota? UHaul? others???

Obviously, would like job done properly/
Old 03-01-05, 09:52 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is that the tranny cooler for the tow package can get in the way of the laser module in front of the radiator, so they are mutually exclusive.

So are the big sunroof and navigation I think (can't put GPS antenna on the roof.)
Old 03-02-05, 05:07 AM
jayjay
Driver School Candidate

But can I add just hitch and wiring harness connection WITHOUT tranny/radiator cooler? Don't plan to do any heavy towing.
Old 03-02-05, 08:40 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you can if you tow less than 2,000 lbs. Check tranny fluid regularly.

Get the factory hitch bar if you can. The U-Haul one for RX330 looks like a high school metal shop project.
Old 03-03-05, 05:39 PM
ImEven
Driver School Candidate

Default Factory trailer package

How can you tell if you have the trailer towing package? My RX-330 window sticker shows the HD alt. and the Trans. cooler at $160. No mention of a trailer package. I hope my plug under the storage area has power to it.
Old 03-10-05, 12:02 PM
Campbell
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ImEven
How can you tell if you have the trailer towing package? My RX-330 window sticker shows the HD alt. and the Trans. cooler at $160. No mention of a trailer package. I hope my plug under the storage area has power to it.
Yes. That is the Tow package.
Old 03-15-05, 08:52 AM
ImEven
Driver School Candidate

Smile Hitch Installed

Bought a "Draw-Tite" hitch, a wiring harness from a local "Toyota" dealer, and followed "Forum" installation instructions. All worked "Great" Thanks for the help.
Mike
Stuart, Fl
Old 03-15-05, 11:28 AM
Campbell
Rookie

Oseidler, I have a question for you.
How much did the OEM 3500# cost you?
Also, I assume that the extra wiring harness is included, is that right?

Last edited by Campbell; 03-15-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 12:17 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitch

Yes, the 3500# hitch kit includes the wiring harness that is attached to a bracket on the hitch and plugs into the towing package module in the cabin. It does not include the drawbar and ball, though the earlier parts list did show these as included. When I showed my dealer this list, they ordered the parts and gave them to me. The dealer found out later that the drawbar and ball were not supposed to be included and it was a misprint when more hitch kits showed up without them. Because of the help I gave my dealer's parts department regarding this hitch, they sold it to me for the dealer price of $371. I'm not sure what they go for from www.irontoad.com or from a local dealer.
Oliver
Old 03-15-05, 01:21 PM
Campbell
Rookie

Thanks.
I'd already contacted Irontoad, however, they don't sell those online.
My local dealer is on average twice the price of Irontoad. I think I'll have to make some calls around the state.
The OEM looks great!!!
Old 05-31-05, 08:40 AM
TerryMGB
Driver School Candidate

Default Instructions for hitch install on RX300

Originally Posted by redgs400
Here's what the wiring harness looks like prior to installation:
Thanks for the step by step instructions on installing the factory issue hitch for the RX330. Your detail was better than the instructions provided by Toyota Corp. Got the hitch and wiring installed in about two hours. Not a difficult job at all. Just need a helper to assist in lifting the receiver into place.l Saved $200 the dealer wanted to charge for install.
Old 02-23-20, 02:57 PM
GrayJosh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oseidler
Unfortunately this forum will not let me upload the Hitch instructions. The PDF file is about 3.6 meg. If you cannot get them from the dealer, contact me and I'll see if I can email them directly to you.
Oliver
Can you email the instructions for the hitch and wiring harness installation please. Mine didn't come with any and Lexus is playing games with me. Thank You.
Old 02-28-20, 12:00 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GrayJosh
Can you email the instructions for the hitch and wiring harness installation please. Mine didn't come with any and Lexus is playing games with me. Thank You.
My hitch was straightforward to install. I used a jack to hold up one side, had someone help me hold the other side up, screw the bolts in, tighten, and finished.

The wiring harness wasnt too bad either. I think I found the instructions from youtube. I just used standard wiring harness and splice the wires directly to the trailer pigtail. I think youtube had the color coding of each wire.

Quick Reply: Hitch Question