RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 11:28 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what the wiring harness looks like prior to installation:
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Question-rx330b.jpg  
Old 04-30-04, 11:30 PM
redgs400
Rookie

A closer view of where the Lexus-supplied wiring harness plugs in:
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Question-rx330d.jpg  
Old 05-01-04, 02:04 AM
autodriver
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RX 330 2000 Lexus Tow Hitch

Originally posted by nodefect
Just got a quote for a 2000# Lexus hitch for $265.00 plus $150.00 labor(2 hrs). The part is in stock and they are installing as we speak during my 7500 mile service. I am sure this is a bit too high, but I need this thing asap and I do not want to risk an aftermarket version looking crappy. They told me there is no way I can install this myself, does anyone have an opinion on that? I already have the pre-installled tow package. What a joke! They charge us for an incomplete towing package, then hit us again for the hitch.

This is being done in the Chicago area.
=========================================================

What Pre-Installed Tow Package you get in your RX?
Old 05-03-04, 06:28 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus 3500# factory hitch

I installed the Lexus 3500# factory hitch this weekend - lined up and went in easily without at "hitch" so to speak. A few things you should know. The first is that this hitch is far superior (no surprise) in both cosmetic looks and attachment to the vehicle than the aftermarket hitches supplied by DrawTite or Curt. The aftermarket hitches attach with (6) M10 bolts to the frame. The Lexus hitch includes reinforcement plates that give you (10) M10 bolts attaching to the vehicle frame. The wiring harness is included and routes perfectly to the knockout plug in the driver's side trunk area to access the preinstalled towing package lighting module. As far as cosmetics, the Lexus hitch is made of tubing bent to clear the
exhaust pipe and the electrical connector is mounted on the hitch. The DrawTite and Curt hitches both convert from tubing to flat steel to "box" around the exhaust - not as pleasing cosmetically from the rear,
even if structurally sound, plus there is no mounting for the electrical connector so it must dangle or temporarily be tied up when not in use. As I said, the hitch assembled and mounted with all plates and holes lining up exactly - I was impressed! I took pictures with my digital camera of the hitch on my car so you will have a visual if anyone wants to know: What does it look like installed?
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Question-lower-rear-view.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by RA030724:
professorm (07-15-18), RX330PT (11-25-20)
Old 05-03-04, 06:30 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Default Left Side attachment

View of driver side attachment and wiring feedthru
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Question-driver-side-attach-and-grommet.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
professorm (07-15-18)
Old 05-03-04, 06:31 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Default Right side attachment

View of right side attachment
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Question-pass-side-attachment.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
professorm (07-15-18)
Old 05-03-04, 06:32 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Default View of exhaust clearance

Exhaust Clearance
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Question-exhaust-clearance.jpg  
Old 06-06-04, 04:42 PM
Dan Harris
Driver School Candidate

Default Electrical Problem

Thanks to everyone for all the hitch info for the RX330.

I just installed a Drawtite hitch from etrailer.com and plugged a Lexus wiring harness in the prewired connecter under the storage compartment.

Everything seemed to go fine, but when I hooked up the trailer there was no power.

With the engine running, the headlights and left turn signal on, there was no power at the connecter in the storage bin. I checked the “trailer” fuse under the hood ( I think it was #15.) It looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. Still no power!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
danharris@bellsouth.com
Old 06-08-04, 08:10 AM
redgs400
Rookie

Default Trailer tow prep package?

Does your RX' have the factory-installed "tow prep package"?

I suspect that package includes an extra module that drives the four-pin trailer plug you installed. I don't know the exact items that the tow prep package adds.
Old 06-08-04, 11:43 AM
Stryke
Rookie

I ordered a Hidden Hitch last week for $127 and $16 for the stock wiring harness which the car is already equipped to accept. Installation took about 10 minutes and I am ready to take out my jet ski for the season.
Old 06-16-04, 05:37 PM
Dan Harris
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

The dealer told me that since I do not have the factory towing package
I need an Electronic Control Unit (ECU.)

It costs $300 installed under the rear seat. All it does is connect
the RX's lighting system to the trailer connection. Pretty expensive
connection!

Are there any other solutions or perhaps a "different story" from your dealer?

Dan
Old 06-17-04, 07:05 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Default RX-330 Towing package

Be advised that the towing package includes more than just the lighting convertor. The cooling system and electrical (alternator, etc.) are heavy duty among other things. That is why the Towing Package cars are rated at 3500 lb, and without the package, only 2000 lb capacity, regardless of the hitch installed.
Oliver
Old 01-24-05, 11:01 AM
Lightguide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oseidler
I installed the Lexus 3500# factory hitch this weekend - lined up and went in easily without at "hitch" so to speak. A few things you should know. The first is that this hitch is far superior (no surprise) in both cosmetic looks and attachment to the vehicle than the aftermarket hitches supplied by DrawTite or Curt. The aftermarket hitches attach with (6) M10 bolts to the frame. The Lexus hitch includes reinforcement plates that give you (10) M10 bolts attaching to the vehicle frame. The wiring harness is included and routes perfectly to the knockout plug in the driver's side trunk area to access the preinstalled towing package lighting module. As far as cosmetics, the Lexus hitch is made of tubing bent to clear the
exhaust pipe and the electrical connector is mounted on the hitch. The DrawTite and Curt hitches both convert from tubing to flat steel to "box" around the exhaust - not as pleasing cosmetically from the rear,
even if structurally sound, plus there is no mounting for the electrical connector so it must dangle or temporarily be tied up when not in use. As I said, the hitch assembled and mounted with all plates and holes lining up exactly - I was impressed! I took pictures with my digital camera of the hitch on my car so you will have a visual if anyone wants to know: What does it look like installed?
Hi--just searched the forum and found oseidler's excellent pics of the RX300 tow hitch. I recently bought the OEM hitch for my 2004 RX330, but there was NO installation instruction sheet inside the box. Did you get an instruction sheet with yours, or did you just figure out how to install it yourself? I'm a little unclear about how to install the two metal plates, and route and connect the wiring harness.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer!
Old 01-24-05, 11:27 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Default Hitch

Mine came with about 8 page set of instructions documenting EXACTLY how Toyota wanted it installed including torque values for the bolts which is really important. I think I downloaded a PDF file of it from the Toyota site for my files but it's at home. I'll post later if I find it. Everything lined up perfectly - hardest part was lifting the hitch into place - definitely need a helper for this!
Oliver
Old 01-24-05, 05:12 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Default Hitch Instructions

Unfortunately this forum will not let me upload the Hitch instructions. The PDF file is about 3.6 meg. If you cannot get them from the dealer, contact me and I'll see if I can email them directly to you.
Oliver

Quick Reply: Hitch Question